Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dublin Ideas, please

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2024, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Great suggestions! They all look great, so a nice selection for my colleagues. Appreciate it.
Last request. Any place(other than Temple Bar area) to stroll around and pub hop? Preferably, non touristy.

ETA: Looks like Camden Street area fits that bill, right?

Last edited by pbiflyer; Feb 23, 2024 at 9:13 am
Old Feb 23, 2024, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Great suggestions! They all look great, so a nice selection for my colleagues. Appreciate it.
Last request. Any place(other than Temple Bar area) to stroll around and pub hop? Preferably, non touristy.

ETA: Looks like Camden Street area fits that bill, right?
yes, Camden Street will certainly be busy and more than a few pubs there. Also the pedestrianised streets either side of Grafton St, a few of the pubs I mentioned are there.

Given you mentioned the canal, are you staying at the Hilton? If so you could easily walk 10 mins in the other direction to Ranelagh. Lots of great pubs and restaurants there in a quarter mile strip, not quite as crazy busy as the city centre but still plenty busy with students and young professional types (the best analogy I can think of is a Hoboken/Williamsburg vibe in NYC, which may or may not be your thing 😁 ).
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, I think we are even closer than that. Staying at the Clayton Burlington Road. So I will definitely check that area out.

Funny about your comparison, I noticed one of the places is TriBeCa. Not quite Hoboken or Williamsburg, but in the area.
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 12:06 pm

If you decide to eat in Ranelagh, Night Market for genuine Thai food (best in Ireland), Host for Italian influenced upscale food (a tough reservation to get), Kinara for excellent Indian/Pakistani food, Butchers Grill for steak, Brother Hubbard for Middle Eastern food, Rita’s for wood fired pizza.

Right beside your hotel you have a great pub O’Briens and a few decent restaurants (the Little Kitchen being about the best).
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Night Market will be a huge hit with the group. They love good (real) Thai.
And I will hit O'Briens!

Thanks for all the great insight. I really appreciate it.
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One more request please.
It was recommended that we have a traditional Sunday Roast. There will be 4 of us. Suggestions on best place and do we need reservations?
Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
One more request please.
It was recommended that we have a traditional Sunday Roast. There will be 4 of us. Suggestions on best place and do we need reservations?
Thanks!
Its probably more of an English thing (at least to go out for a Sunday roast rather than cook at home) and there’s a lot of bad carvery type pub food, but for city centre Dublin I’d recommend going somewhere that does it properly like The Legal Eagle or Hawksmoor. Not sure if you can reserve the Legal Eagle but Hawksmoor I would.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perfect, thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2024, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
If you decide to eat in Ranelagh, Night Market for genuine Thai food (best in Ireland), Host for Italian influenced upscale food (a tough reservation to get), Kinara for excellent Indian/Pakistani food, Butchers Grill for steak, Brother Hubbard for Middle Eastern food, Rita’s for wood fired pizza.

Right beside your hotel you have a great pub O’Briens and a few decent restaurants (the Little Kitchen being about the best).
Will post more information about my visit later. Loved M O’Briens.

Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
yes, Camden Street will certainly be busy and more than a few pubs there. Also the pedestrianised streets either side of Grafton St, a few of the pubs I mentioned are there.

).
Camden Street was entertaining. Note to self, mention the dates you are going so that they can tell you about Student Race Day. Certainly adds an interesting twist to bar hopping in the area.

Last edited by pbiflyer; Apr 10, 2024 at 3:36 pm
Old Apr 10, 2024, 11:11 pm

We're planning to fly out of Dublin in August but our last stay will be in Belfast .
Finnair service to Helsinki departs 0945 hrs.
Would it be safe to use the Dublin Express coach departing Belfast europa bus station at 0620 and arriving Finnair terminal at 0820 - would that be a reasonably safe connection time of 1 hour 35 minutes?
Old Apr 14, 2024, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assume no checked luggage, correct? That adds time if you are checking luggage.
If everything goes well, you will be fine….but any delays and you are sweating it. Heavy traffic, road construction, a late start due to any number of reasons. Combine two of those and you are possibly going to miss the flight.
And factor in time to get your luggage off the bus. You won’t be the only folks getting off.
We flew international out of terminal 2 on a Friday and I was through security in 10 minutes. Very efficient and short lines. Can’t attest to Terminal 1.
What is plan B if you miss? If it is just sitting around waiting for next flight, I’d go for it. But if it means major hassles, maybe look at other options.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 4:56 pm

Thank you for that .
Old Apr 16, 2024, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a follow up to the suggestions every one has offered. I really appreciate it. We did not get to all of them, but was able to visit many.
For food, the group really enjoyed Nightmarket. Can easily see the claim that it is the best Thai in Ireland. Our Thai experts in the group said it was among the best they have ever had anywhere. The variety was impressive. Great neighborhood as well.
While I did not get to go, others in our group went to Matt the Thresher and they loved it. One who had visited Dublin previously said it was the best restaurant they had been to in Dublin.
We also ate at Fire, which was a great steak house near St Stephen's Green (note, I was not paying so was easy choice). And on the edge of Temple Bar, we ate at Darkey Kelly's and it was really good, as well as good music and service.
I did like the Camden St area, would like to explore more one day.
Will do the pubs in another post.

Sunday Roast at Darkey Kelly's

Steak salad at Nightmarket

Green Curry at Nightmarket

Gunpowder Gin dessert at Fire!
Kgmm77 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.