Wiki Posts
Search

Dublin Ideas, please

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2023, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Dublin Ideas, please

Hello,

I've spent time doing a lot of the known things in Dublin.

I have two layovers at DUB in early and mid-December, For the first one, I'll have from noon until whenever. Any suggestions for a 1/2 day trip? I won't have a car. Public transportation would be good (from DUB).

My second is really a stopover of two full days. I was thinking of the train to Belfast and spend the night. I assume there is enough to do in Belfast to occupy two days? Or does anyone have any other recommendations for a two day/two night mid-December trip. Again, public transportation is great for me. And I'll be prepared for cold/damp weather (and sometimes enjoy it).

Thank you!
Old Nov 6, 2023, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I had an 8 hour layover in DUB last July. There’s a good bus service and not expensive. But personally I didn’t take to the city so can’t really offer any wholehearted recommendations. I am told that the countryside is stunning.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 6:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, DL Silver Medallion
I'm a fan of earlier periods of time, so did an overnight to Wexford to visit a park there oriented toward Viking history.
https://irishheritage.ie/

I went by train but I suspect a rental car would be quicker and possibly more convenient...
Old Nov 8, 2023, 10:00 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by lamphs
I was thinking of the train to Belfast and spend the night. I assume there is enough to do in Belfast to occupy two days?
Belfast is a lovely city, there's definitely enough to fill 1-2 days.

If you're going to Belfast from Dublin Airport, you'll be much better off taking the coach. Both Aircoach and Translink run coaches directly from Dublin Airport to Belfast, journey time of 90-120 minutes.

For your half-day in Dublin, I'd always recommend the Guinness Storehouse museum. Yes it's a bit of a tourist trap but the views from the top are excellent, as is the beer.
lamphs likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Arctic Troll
Belfast is a lovely city, there's definitely enough to fill 1-2 days.

If you're going to Belfast from Dublin Airport, you'll be much better off taking the coach. Both Aircoach and Translink run coaches directly from Dublin Airport to Belfast, journey time of 90-120 minutes.

For your half-day in Dublin, I'd always recommend the Guinness Storehouse museum. Yes it's a bit of a tourist trap but the views from the top are excellent, as is the beer.
I did take your recommendation of Guinness. I quite enjoyed it (and had a really good Guinness beef stew for lunch). In hindsight, I wish I had taken the bus to/from the Airport Hilton rather than taxi via Uber. Being a Sunday, apparently Uber rates go up because buses are far fewer. Adding on the 2 Euro Uber booking fee, it was a bit pricey.

The hotel shuttle bus driver told me about Malahide - a short bus ride from the hotel. I did take the bus there. It looked like a nice waterfront town. I had intended to have dinner there, but the occasional light rain showers turned into a down pour and I wasn't prepared, so back on the bus it was. I'll try it again this Monday when I pass back through.

That said, re: buses to Belfast from DUB... the buses seem fairly frequent from DUB, as you mentioned. What about last minute bookings? Assuming an on time arrival of 10 AM on Friday, and out the door, conservatively at 11, maybe book a bus immediately upon landing or do you think that is cutting it too close?

Thanks again for your input.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 2:22 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
That said, re: buses to Belfast from DUB... the buses seem fairly frequent from DUB, as you mentioned. What about last minute bookings? Assuming an on time arrival of 10 AM on Friday, and out the door, conservatively at 11, maybe book a bus immediately upon landing or do you think that is cutting it too close?
In my experience, which is only a few trips, they're rarely very full at all. You could leave it until the day and just pay on the bus with very little risk.
lamphs and Arctic Troll like this.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 3:54 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Nothing to stop you booking a few days in advance and benefitting from the cheaper online fare. Both Translink and Aircoach will allow you to take a later bus the same day if your flight is delayed and you miss your booked service. You just won't have a guaranteed seat on the later bus, so if it arrives full you'd have to wait for the next one. They don't tend to be full, although Friday is a busier day.

I'd probably book with Translink as they operate more frequently, including some that start at the airport.
lamphs likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 4:43 pm

Might be too late for your trip, but I took a bus direct from DUB to Galway, around 3 hours, then a train back to Dublin Heuston station.
lamphs likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's input.

I wish FT had a forum for airport experiences. But it does not, so I'll post a couple of items here. I did post my DUB-ATH experience under Aegean. And I'll soon post my DUB-CPH-JFK experience under Scandinavian.
  • It is great that there are 1 Euro bottles of water available, as well as a water bottle refill station, post security.
  • A3 pays for 'fast track' security, status dependent, SK does not (these are both T1).
  • However, fast track, at least in T1 has not been upgraded yet to allow you to pass through without taking items out of your bag.
  • Today, since I had regular security, I inadvertently found that line 1-4 has been equipped with the new Smiths Detection equipment, so nothing has to be removed from your bags. But I think that there is still a limit on liquids. FYI as those lines went fairly quickly.
  • (Of course, my carryon, that has had the same contents for the past 2.5 weeks, with nothing normally requiring removal, and unmolested through six airports, got pulled aside. But the agent returned it quickly as she did not know what triggered the alarm.)
  • I've reported on the T1 lounge separately in the Airport Lounge thread. Whether you have access via status/flight class or Priority Pass, don't hurry for the lounge experience.
  • My county (in the states requires that spirits must be purchased in the government liquor store). I downloaded the price list for Irish whiskey's this morning, added the 9% sales tax, and converted to Euros. Of the items that I was interested in at the duty free store, with one exception, were all about 10-25% greater in cost than what'd I pay at home. I did find a Middleton Very Rare that was 65% less than the cost at home.
Arctic Troll likes this.

Last edited by lamphs; Dec 11, 2023 at 8:56 am
Old Dec 11, 2023, 1:00 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I did take your recommendation of Guinness. I quite enjoyed it (and had a really good Guinness beef stew for lunch). In hindsight, I wish I had taken the bus to/from the Airport Hilton rather than taxi via Uber. Being a Sunday, apparently Uber rates go up because buses are far fewer. Adding on the 2 Euro Uber booking fee, it was a bit pricey.

The hotel shuttle bus driver told me about Malahide - a short bus ride from the hotel. I did take the bus there. It looked like a nice waterfront town. I had intended to have dinner there, but the occasional light rain showers turned into a down pour and I wasn't prepared, so back on the bus it was. I'll try it again this Monday when I pass back through.

Thanks again for your input.
Should you ever find yourself in Malahide again, I've had a number of good dinners at McGovern's. About a half block away is a fine pub, Gibney's. And if you need breakfast or lunch, The Greenery is excellent. After all that eating, a walk down the coast road towards Portmarnock will help shed the calories.
lamphs likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 8:39 am

Piggybacking on this thread - my wife and I are now going to be in Dublin last minute for New Year's, but we're struggling to find anything (outside of the huge city -sponsored events at Dublin Castle, etc). Does anyone know of New Year's Eve parties, restaurant recommendations, or other ideas we can look into?
Old Feb 20, 2024, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
A further bump. Will be there in early April.
Any (non touristy) restaurant/pub/bar/music suggestions? Will be staying a 5 minute walk south to St Stephen's Square near the canal, but willing to go anywhere for good food/drink/music.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
A further bump. Will be there in early April.
Any (non touristy) restaurant/pub/bar/music suggestions? Will be staying a 5 minute walk south to St Stephen's Square near the canal, but willing to go anywhere for good food/drink/music.
Personally I’d stay away from Temple Bar as it’s very touristy and more than a little messy. But you are more likely to get Irish traditional music there (as that’s not really a Dublin “thing”, more likely down the country). In terms of pub recommendations, everyone will have their own, and will argue it vigorously, but based on where you are staying I’d favour Toners, Doheny & Nesbitt’s, O’Donoghue’s, McDaids, Kehoe’s, Grogan’s, the Long Hall in no particular order. All are within a few minutes walk of Stephen’s Green. A Google search closer to the time or a helpful concierge will point you to somewhere with music.

For restaurants happy to advice but I’ll need more info on preferences and price point 😁.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
For restaurants, we are flexible. A traditional one would be nice, but not required. Good, but not Michelin star places. Can be pricey at least one night, as we would have a customer in tow.
Good food over type is more important.

ETA: Actually one of our co workers does not eat meat. A nice seafood place would be helpful. Probably price on that one wouldn't matter.
He does eat chicken, but probably would prefer seafood.

Last edited by pbiflyer; Feb 22, 2024 at 2:53 pm
Old Feb 22, 2024, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
For restaurants, we are flexible. A traditional one would be nice, but not required. Good, but not Michelin star places. Can be pricey at least one night, as we would have a customer in tow.
Good food over type is more important.

ETA: Actually one of our co workers does not eat meat. A nice seafood place would be helpful. Probably price on that one wouldn't matter.
He does eat chicken, but probably would prefer seafood.
Ireland doesn’t really have a native style of cuisine, but we do have great ingredients (meat, fish & seafood). Closest to an Irish restaurant would be the Pigs Ear, good brasserie style cooking. Maybe also Delahunt, which is very good in my experience. For relatively relaxed seafood and fish I would recommend Matt the Thresher, or a bit more upmarket Sole receives good reviews.

For Italian influences I’d recommend Etto and there are a few very good Spanish restaurants under local ownership: Uno Mas, La Gordita and Tapas de Lola.

A bit cheaper Big Fan Bao is excellent Asian fusion and cocktails, Pickle for upmarket Indian food and Hang Dai for trendy Chinese food in a speakeasy type environment. Most of the restaurants I’ve mentioned are clustered in and around Camden street which has become the really foodie area over the last decade.

Any questions just ask!
pbiflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.