Which UK airport ranking 2023

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2023, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&S Elite+
Which UK airport ranking 2023

Reported by Sky News:

UK's best and worst airports named in Which? survey

Liverpool John Lennon airport was ranked top, with passengers describing it as "first class" and "well run". A spokesperson for Manchester Airport - which came bottom - called the research "deeply flawed and misleading".

Here is the list of airports ranked best to worst, according to the Which? survey:

Liverpool John Lennon - 82% overall customer score
London City - 78%
Southampton - 77%
Bournemouth - 75%
East Midlands - 72%
Newcastle - 72%
Glasgow International - 62%
Leeds Bradford - 58%
London Gatwick North - 57%
London Heathrow - Terminal 4 - 57%
London Heathrow - Terminal 5 - 57%
Bristol - 56%
Aberdeen - 55%
Edinburgh - 55%
London Gatwick South - 54%
London Heathrow - Terminal 2 - 54%
London Heathrow - Terminal 3 - 54%
Birmingham - 53%
London Stansted - 51%
Manchester Terminal 2 - 50%
Belfast International - 49%
Luton - 49%
Manchester Terminal 1 - 44%
Manchester Terminal 3 - 38%
https://news.sky.com/story/uks-best-...urvey-12950224
Old Aug 29, 2023, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Seems very odd to me. I use Heathrow T2 and T5 regularly. I can think of nothing about T5 that is as good as T2, yet T5 scores higher.
Silver Fox, DaveS and Internaut like this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Seems very odd to me. I use Heathrow T2 and T5 regularly. I can think of nothing about T5 that is as good as T2, yet T5 scores higher.
That was my main anomaly - T2 is comfortably the best terminal at LHR. Otherwise the rankings broadly make sense albeit I have no experience of LPL.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 1:44 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
I suspect the spokesperson for MAN is correct in complaining about flawed methodology.

Of course, a better method would also be pretty likely to land MAN at the bottom...
IAN-UK, DaveS, Misco60 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Yes I had that thought too. That and why Stansted is not nearer the bottom.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 3:21 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
There are obviously a few missing, e.g. Belfast City/Harbour/George Best though BFS is there.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 7:12 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by dkeng
I suspect the spokesperson for MAN is correct in complaining about flawed methodology.

Of course, a better method would also be pretty likely to land MAN at the bottom...
There is not one single redeeming feature about Manchester T3. T1 is marginally better, but not so much as you'd get excited. As for the rest of the airport, the Skylink travelators reached the end of their serviceable life and so the management simply turned them off. They're not broken, the management just don't want to spend money refurbishing them.

Liverpool is a nicer airport purely because it's a quieter airport. But Liverpool has recently expanded the seating area in the bar in the main departures area, with the effect of massively reducing the amount of seating available for people who don't want to pay stupid money for a mediocre beer and a worse burger. So I can see Liverpool plummeting down the list next year.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Have to say that it feels like GLA has got markedly better post lockdown. Even in the first thing in the morning rush, flying on LS, so no priority, security has been an absolute breeze, the new bar/restaurant on the site of the old Spoons is much bigger and has loads of seats (even if the food is still as poor), other facilities perfectly acceptable. Whether it's just just down to it being quieter or not, I don't know, but it feels like they're doing something right - though parking fees have shot up, and drop off fees are now £5...
Old Aug 30, 2023, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

The Telegraph is also running the story. The most positive thing they could say about MAN is this:
Manchester is in a north-east Cheshire field, ten miles south of the city centre. Its location is hugely convenient for the 90 people who live in nearby villages and Peak District hill-dwellers.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
Manchester airport suffers from one overriding major persistent fault - the delusional refusal of MAN/MAG management to accept the reality of their state, continual poor frequent user feedback, repeated low rankings in surveys however flawed, damaged national reputation, etc. and actually do anything about it.
Internaut likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by manord
Manchester airport suffers from one overriding major persistent fault - the delusional refusal of MAN/MAG management to accept the reality of their state, continual poor frequent user feedback, repeated low rankings in surveys however flawed, damaged national reputation, etc. and actually do anything about it.
But from their point of view, what's the motivation to improve? Where else are airlines that want to tap into the large market in the mid-west of the country going to fly to, or passengers from there going to fly from? Liverpool's a tiny airport, Birmingham's not on the same scale, Glasgow's too far for all but the most enthusiastic of bargain hunters, and Heathrow is not an easy one to get to.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
But from their point of view, what's the motivation to improve? Where else are airlines that want to tap into the large market in the mid-west of the country going to fly to, or passengers from there going to fly from? Liverpool's a tiny airport, Birmingham's not on the same scale, Glasgow's too far for all but the most enthusiastic of bargain hunters, and Heathrow is not an easy one to get to.
True but there are few airports which really have any competition. Any improvement comes either through regulation, or a combination of pride and shame.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by manord
Perhaps this is why BA wouldn't want a northern England base there?
Old Sep 3, 2023, 7:42 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I can confirm LPL is pleasant enough. I’ve done a couple of trips out of there and found it well run. It is considerably helped by its small size and lack of long haunt routes.

I can also confirm the position of MAN looks perfectly correct to me. MAN (and various partners) is one of a number of companies that missed the point of the furlough, possibly thinking the paperwork involved was a bit hard.
DaveS, USA_flyer and RichardInSF like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.