Wiki Posts
Search

Shoes off at London Gatwick?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2023, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum,
Shoes off at London Gatwick?

I just flew out of LGW for the first time in probably 20 years today, and was unpleasantly surprised at being asked to remove my shoes at security. I flew out of LHR just a few months ago and there was none of that rigmarole there (or at least not the shoe kind). I haven’t had to remove my shoes in the US (have pre-check) or at European airports (because they’re saner) for years. Is this normal for LGW or was I just unlucky today? 🤔
Old Jul 26, 2023, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by sky74
I just flew out of LGW for the first time in probably 20 years today, and was unpleasantly surprised at being asked to remove my shoes at security. I flew out of LHR just a few months ago and there was none of that rigmarole there (or at least not the shoe kind). I haven’t had to remove my shoes in the US (have pre-check) or at European airports (because they’re saner) for years. Is this normal for LGW or was I just unlucky today? 🤔
No, not normal, but sometimes depends on what sort of shoes you are wearing. If security thinks it's likely the shoes will set off the alarms then they seem to push towards shoes off.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 3:58 pm

What happens is at periodic intervals they make everyone going through security at that moment take their shoes off. You were unlucky to hit one of those moments.
KARFA, stifle and sky74 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 7:27 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
What happens is at periodic intervals they make everyone going through security at that moment take their shoes off. You were unlucky to hit one of those moments.
I would guess typically before all the flights to the US have left for the day. That did seem to be the case at MAN (good few years back though).
sky74 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I have never had to take shoes off at a UK airport since the rule went away 15-20 years ago. Including LGW last week and LHR yesterday. Whereas I have never been to a US airport where you are allowed to keep them on. At least we do some things better!
Old Jul 29, 2023, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Funnily enough we experienced this at LGW (to AGP/Malaga) north terminal, 17/7. I'd piad for the Premium Security experience too and it was odd as we had loaded our trays on the belt, turned to go through the scanner when all of a sudden one of the guards said "everyone has to take their shoes off now". I wasn't interested enough to ask why.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 3:42 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

At MAN, they tend to ask for boots or shoes with thick soles to be taken off.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Security staff will ask for shoes that they think will set off the metal detector to be taken off, and as a "random unpredictable measure" () from time to time everybody in certain lanes will be asked to take them off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.