Wiki Posts
Search

LCY Taxi refused my ride

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2023, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
LCY Taxi refused my ride

Landed at LCY today. I hop in my pre-ordered taxi and confirm my City-Heathrow transfer (which was quoted at £79 GBP).

He asks me what terminal I’m headed to. I respond “Whatever is easiest for you! It doesn’t matter.” He asks me why it doesn’t matter; I tell him the truth, that I’ll be hopping on a bus or walking to my hotel airport.

The driver then asks me to get out. He says I can only stay if he uses the meter - that since I wasn’t actually flying, I didn’t qualify for a LCY-LHR transfer rate.

As I get out, he walks to the other taxi there and told him not to give me a flat rate. I ended up having to call a Bolt, which was £121.

Ultimately it’s not about the money - I can’t take it with me when I die - but how I was made to feel like I was attempting to cheat the guy or had done something immoral. Did I mess up here or was the driver legitimately acting extra?
Old Feb 8, 2023, 12:59 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
What exactly did he think you were most likely doing the next day?

I would submit a complaint to his licensing authority. I've no idea if technically he's in the right or not, but that is absolutely outrageous behaviour. You had a contract to transfer from LCY to LHR. Given he let you in the car and verbally confirmed it, he should honour it.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver
You had a pre-booked fare, right? Which means that he was happy to take someone on that journey for that price - what difference does it make to him what you do when you get there?!?! I can only imagine he sensed more tempting fares.

But anyway, I thought the Elizabeth Line was supposed to make it fast and cheap to go by train now?
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
You had a pre-booked fare, right? Which means that he was happy to take someone on that journey for that price - what difference does it make to him what you do when you get there?!?! I can only imagine he sensed more tempting fares.

But anyway, I thought the Elizabeth Line was supposed to make it fast and cheap to go by train now?
Yep, pre-booked. Sadly Elizabeth Line doesn’t stop at LCY and my heavy bags were an impediment to public transit. I really wish the LCY stop had happened - it would have definitely next leveled LCY/LHR open jaws.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Even if there was a Lizzie stop for LCY it wouldn't have been at LCY due to the Connaught Tunnel as well as a curved track. The closest it would have been is the site of the old Silvertown station likely requiring a bus to get there (just as you can get to Custom house by bus)

Heavy bags really aren't an imediment. All the statiions you would jave needed - LCY, Canary Wharf then LHR all have step free access.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Out of curiosity, what would the taxi fare likely have been from LCY to the nearest Elizabeth Line station?
Old Feb 8, 2023, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Even if there was a Lizzie stop for LCY it wouldn't have been at LCY due to the Connaught Tunnel as well as a curved track. The closest it would have been is the site of the old Silvertown station likely requiring a bus to get there (just as you can get to Custom house by bus)

Heavy bags really aren't an imediment. All the statiions you would jave needed - LCY, Canary Wharf then LHR all have step free access.
Interesting - that hadn’t been my understanding but it’s been a minute since I lived near LCY and it’s likely I’ve misremembered. Thanks for the knowledge.

As for the bags and taking transit, after a half dozen surgeries for Crohns, a back operation and three lumbar discs on the verge of total collapse, it’s more the risk of an accident when I have two checked bags and an additional backpack and personal item. I’m aware of the stations being step free but steps are AN impediment not THE impediment.

When I am traveling sans proper luggage I never touch a black cab or Uber/Bolt.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by wutlol
Did I mess up here or was the driver legitimately acting extra?
I don’t think it was right for him to charge extra, there’s clearly no obligation to be flying to use that rate. Also telling the other cab is pretty out of order.

That said, it’s a bit odd to want to go to Heathrow and not care which terminal, given that it spans a radius of several miles.

I suppose the lesson here is simply that if you intend to book the same trip again, work out which terminal is most convenient and book/say that one.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:21 am

This is bizarre... what would he have done had you said T3 or something, then let slip whilst chatting during the journey that you were going to a hotel? Make you get out?

Anyway, the DLR doesn't run direct (from LCY) to Canary Wharf. You either get off at Poplar and walk across a bridge and up a slope to Crossrail Place, or change, get to West India Quay/Canary Wharf and walk to Crossrail Place. It's £10-20 depending on the hour for a ten-minute Bolt ride LCY-Canary Wharf, which is what I'd do if travelling with more than a carry-on.

Last edited by uhoo; Feb 9, 2023 at 5:52 am
Old Feb 9, 2023, 8:42 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Aren’t some routes fixed fares set by TfL? I’d be willing to bet they haven’t been reviewed since fuel prices went sky high so the driver is looking for any excuse to charge via the meter.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 11:40 am

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by wutlol
Yep, pre-booked. Sadly Elizabeth Line doesn’t stop at LCY and my heavy bags were an impediment to public transit. I really wish the LCY stop had happened - it would have definitely next leveled LCY/LHR open jaws.

I don't know why the Lixxy line doesn't stop at LCY. This has to be one of the stupidest moves ever.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by OpenSky
I don't know why the Lixxy line doesn't stop at LCY. This has to be one of the stupidest moves ever.
please read post 5
:D! likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 6:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by OpenSky
In the context of HS2 turning into a short piece of track between west London and Birmingham...
Ldnn1 and dnajockey like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.