Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crossrail

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Fab. i would love to be able to take public transport to Heathrow just to dodge the M25 as well as taking in the environmental considerations.
You can already do this; lots of bus, train and underground services operate between central London and Heathrow and lots of bus services between Heathrow and areas outwith central London.
Misco60 and jhawk0202 like this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC
For a construction industry view of what Crossrail is and what has contributed to cost and time overruns without the politics this very recent video from the guys at B1M is worth 7mins of your time.

jaloola likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by 13901
Well, night-time would be a good place to start. Or whatever other cities do, for I don't see that many other "world-class" cities closing a solid chunk of their network every weekend. London isn't a village, people work and travel throughout the week.
New York does it weekly, including running trains on other lines than the usual one.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Let’s not forget who was Mayor when many of the issues with construction actually took place due to the bonkers approach to contracting. And it wasn’t the current Mayor 😉
Surely, you are not suggesting that said Mayor, with his legendary capacity for hard work, unparalleled attention to detail and whose extraordinary competence is only matched by his unblimished probity, integrity and sense of responsibility would have done anything less than a spiffing job of it?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by mrow
You can already do this; lots of bus, train and underground services operate between central London and Heathrow and lots of bus services between Heathrow and areas outwith central London.
I've taken public transport before from were I live to Heathrow. Its slow and not fun. One change at Farringdon will make it much more doable.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Keep your politics out of this,
OK, mum

And as a by-the-way, the Mayor runs TFL, and two months before opening date in 2018, he claimed the project was on time. Fact, not politics.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle
OK, mum

And as a by-the-way, the Mayor runs TFL, and two months before opening date in 2018, he claimed the project was on time. Fact, not politics.
And you can take your snark away as well.

TFL only took full control of Crossrail in 2020. That's fact as well and he said that based on what Crossrail Ltd told him and the Dept of Transport.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Fab. i would love to be able to take public transport to Heathrow just to dodge the M25 as well as taking in the environmental considerations.
you can do tube from Farringdon to paddington today then TFL

or tube to Kings cross and then piccaddilly line
mrow likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I've taken public transport before from were I live to Heathrow. Its slow and not fun. One change at Farringdon will make it much more doable.
While cross rail will remove the change at paddingtonmaking it easier/more doable, I doubt its going to make a big difference to the journey time
mrow likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
While cross rail will remove the change at paddingtonmaking it easier/more doable, I doubt its going to make a big difference to the journey time
It makes travelling with more than just hand baggage much much easier from parts south of London, where I am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.