Wiki Posts
Search

Providing phone number for travel form

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2021, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Providing phone number for travel form

Hello All,
I am traveling from LAX to Scotland in a couple of weeks.

I do not have a local phone number. Usually I provide my mobile number. However with restrictions the way they are, not sure what my next steps are. I only have an international number. I usually use wi-fi when I go home but now we don't have wi-fi (longer story) and no home phone. Just mobile. International rates are extortionate so I don't turn my phone on - airplane mode + wifi.

How can I provide a number for them to call should they need to check on me? Do I have to purchase a UK mobile or - should I even add that whole explanation on the travel form?

Thanks
Old Jun 1, 2021, 3:32 pm

I used a (nominally usa) google voice number and ticked the box that says cannot receive calls, but they called anyway. Several times. Until I answered.
I'm pretty sure google voice, as an app, or via the desktop website, can run off wifi to answer calls. I had $0 credit loaded on it.
toop28 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by toop28
Hello All,

I do not have a local phone number. Usually I provide my mobile number. However with restrictions the way they are, not sure what my next steps are. I only have an international number. I usually use wi-fi when I go home but now we don't have wi-fi (longer story) and no home phone. Just mobile. International rates are extortionate so I don't turn my phone on - airplane mode + wifi.

How can I provide a number for them to call should they need to check on me? Do I have to purchase a UK mobile or - should I even add that whole explanation on the travel form?

Thanks
How extortionate is extortionate? I’ve just checked my tariff, and for me, if I was to travel from Scotland to the USA, the cost of receiving a call would be £0.89/minute. For the sake of a quick call I could live with that!

It’s normally data which is the expensive bit, but you can presumably just turn data roaming off.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 4:21 pm

If you are visiting family in Scotland, get them to pick up a Three mobile SIM card for your phone. They are dirt cheap, easy to set up and add a plan. The phone number is on the SIM card, so you can give that to the PTB
RB211, Dublin_rfk and argonath like this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 4:23 pm

Several options off the top of my head:

1) Get a temporary international plan add-on (or whatever the specific term is for you carrier.) Not usually that expensive.
2) See what the "pay as you go" rates are for international calls. The most expensive are usually around $2 / min. YMMV.
3) Investigate getting a UK SIM. There used to be a company who would have your SIM ready for you to pick up at LHR (or other major point of entry) and you get the number when you "book" it. With Covid etc, not sure if they're still around.
4) Probably others I haven't thought of yet.

Best option is to compare #1 and #2. assuming it will be a single relatively quick call.

rb211.
toop28 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 4:24 pm

Old Jun 1, 2021, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

ooo, I have Google Voice - I'll try that. Thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2021, 5:15 pm

Hello All,

Thanks
There's a question on the form that asks whether you can be called or texted by phone. You could say no to calls and/or texts and give your reason as 'avoiding roaming costs.'

Could it prompt a visit to your address - I don't know, perhaps it does, but it'll save you the roaming fees.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 5:29 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
ooo, I have Google Voice - I'll try that. Thanks!
I can confirm from experience as a US-based traveler that my Google Voice number works well in Scotland. I still have a SIM that I purchased from http://giffgaff.com, but there are also SIMs available for UK use through Amazon. You can purchase a pay-as-you-go plan through these companies that allows you to get various amounts of data and minutes that are good for 30 days. Some of those plans are as cheap as £5. For your limited purpose, Google Voice may be all you need, but it is nice to be able to make a local (or even an international) call when wifi isn't available.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
If you are visiting family in Scotland, get them to pick up a Three mobile SIM card for your phone. They are dirt cheap, easy to set up and add a plan. The phone number is on the SIM card, so you can give that to the PTB
Wi-Fi is everywhere in towns and tourist spots in Scotland and often free. Turn off international roaming and communicate by WhatsApp using your home number
Old Jun 2, 2021, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
How extortionate is extortionate? I’ve just checked my tariff, and for me, if I was to travel from Scotland to the USA, the cost of receiving a call would be £0.89/minute. For the sake of a quick call I could live with that!

It’s normally data which is the expensive bit, but you can presumably just turn data roaming off.
That's pretty acceptable.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 4:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RB211
Several options off the top of my head:

1) Get a temporary international plan add-on (or whatever the specific term is for you carrier.) Not usually that expensive.
2) See what the "pay as you go" rates are for international calls. The most expensive are usually around $2 / min. YMMV.
3) Investigate getting a UK SIM. There used to be a company who would have your SIM ready for you to pick up at LHR (or other major point of entry) and you get the number when you "book" it. With Covid etc, not sure if they're still around.
4) Probably others I haven't thought of yet.

Best option is to compare #1 and #2. assuming it will be a single relatively quick call.

rb211.
Excellent advice. Another idea is to set up a Skype number.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al

Have you seen US phone bills? Someone paying £10 a month here could be paying $80 a month in the US. Just because roaming on a UK sim in the US isn't that steep, doesn't say anything about using a US sim in the UK.
toop28 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by cauchy
Have you seen US phone bills? Someone paying £10 a month here could be paying $80 a month in the US. Just because roaming on a UK sim in the US isn't that steep, doesn't say anything about using a US sim in the UK.
No I haven’t, that’s why I asked.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
If you have friends or family in Scotland, get them to pick up a pay-as-you-go sim for you, and put a few quid on to get you some data. They let you know the number when they register it + top it up, put that number on your form. They drop off the sim where you are self isolating, you put the sim in your phone when you arrive, then use that for calls plus later data when you're done isolating.

Otherwise, order a pay-as-you-go sim (eg giffgaff) to where you are self isolating. Put your US number on the initial form, but tick don't phone/sms. When you have activated the sim, update your Passenger Locator Form online with the new number.
argonath likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.