Reload this Page >

Heathrow Airport seven-hour queues 'inhumane' at arrivals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Airport seven-hour queues 'inhumane' at arrivals

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2021, 12:04 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
Something doesn't add up somewhere. I was on a flight from Dublin to LHR T2. When I de-boarded, there were about 10 Border Force agents which met my flight doing all sorts of checks. Is this normal? I was a bit surprised about the fact there was a check at all (since Common Travel Area) but the fact that there were so much Border Force staff there when there are these queues elsewhere.
Sometimes Border Force do spot checks or are trying to get a specific passenger based on some intelligence.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Possibly looking for someone of interest?

Regards

TBS
Originally Posted by realgaga
Sometimes Border Force do spot checks or are trying to get a specific passenger based on some intelligence.
That would make sense!
Old May 5, 2021, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
As a data point, arrived T5 at 15:15 on a Wednesday and was on the M4 with my checked bags within 50 minutes. There were two other flights in the Baggage Hall - JER and HND.

There were three document checkers guarding the E-gates and a queue of about 10. One elderly woman checker was giving a very hard time to an unfortunate Japanese businessman, shouting more and more loudly at him in English which he clearly didn’t understand. Welcome to Global Britain!

And the other pount to note is that whilst they put 2m markers in the snake queus, the actual snakes were packed tight so social distancing is impossible. The Home Office needs to investigate and fine those responsible for such a blatant breach of the regulations, ie themselves.
scoonee and DaveS like this.
Old May 16, 2021, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
Something doesn't add up somewhere. I was on a flight from Dublin to LHR T2. When I de-boarded, there were about 10 Border Force agents which met my flight doing all sorts of checks. Is this normal? I was a bit surprised about the fact there was a check at all (since Common Travel Area) but the fact that there were so much Border Force staff there when there are these queues elsewhere.

they check for people who are using the Ireland loophole to avoid checks and come from red list countries to bypass the hotel quarantine. Also they’re double checking those who’s trip originated from Ireland since there’s no requirement to enter if you were there for 10 days or more.
CarefreeBA likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 6:10 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Skywards Gold, BAEC Silver, SAA Voyager
Ireland has a hotel quarantine requirement for arrivals from so-called red list countries. There is no requirement for hotel quarantine if arriving into UK from a red list country after 10 days. In RoI the time limit is stricter, 14 days.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Arrived today at 6:10pm at T5, queues were snaking behind the corner of the terminal. It looked like a 2-3 hour wait.

Took the connections bus to T2 and there was virtually no wait at passport control. I was through in five minutes, no questions asked.
​​​​​​
taxicabnumber and becks1 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 1:43 am

did anyone pass through Immigration recently? How are the wait times right now?
When arriving at T5 does it make sense to transfer to T2 to avoid long lines?
What if I have a connection flight? Can I pass the line?

Any feedback would be appreciated , thanks!!
Old Aug 5, 2021, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by noah2206
did anyone pass through Immigration recently? How are the wait times right now?
When arriving at T5 does it make sense to transfer to T2 to avoid long lines?
What if I have a connection flight? Can I pass the line?

Any feedback would be appreciated , thanks!!
No need for immigration* if you're connecting. If you're connecting to a UK Domestic destination there's a specific desk to do that and that's never really been a bottleneck.

*caveat: not unless you're self connecting and need to retrieve and re-check your bags.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 3:08 am

yes self connecting and need to re-check my bags.

so if anybody has experiences regarding wait times from the last few days, would highly appreciate it.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 3:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

so if anybody has experiences regarding wait times from the last few days, would highly appreciate it.
In that case if doing an INT-INT connection you won’t have much wait time at all. You just have a bp check and security. All of the horror stories concern immigration which you won’t be doing.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 3:52 am

If you haven't bought a ticket yet I'd reconsider this. I don't know where you're flying from and going to, your nationality and vaccination status but, as a self-connecting passenger, for all intents and purposes you would look as if you're arriving to the UK as your final destination and this might cause all sorts of headaches in terms of right to entry and rules for entering.

On the topic at hand, I think things vary wildly throughout the day depending on which flights have arrived, whether the e-Gates are on or not, how many UKBF Agents are available... it's impossible to tell, really.

Again, I'd really recommend flying on a single ticket (always) but especially in these times.

Originally Posted by KARFA
In that case if doing an INT-INT connection you won’t have much wait time at all. You just have a bp check and security. All of the horror stories concern immigration which you won’t be doing.
Unless I'm reading him wrong, OP is saying he's self checking in and needs to re-check bags... so he'll need to land himself.
MSPeconomist and KARFA like this.

Last edited by 13901; Aug 5, 2021 at 4:00 am
Old Aug 5, 2021, 4:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Ah yes apologies I misread. In that case unfortunately yes the OP will have to go through immigration and I agree with your advice.
13901 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 4:12 am

BTW it seems that LHR is back at it with holding delays... OH flew in this morning and did a good 20' holding. So there's that to consider too when looking into self connections.
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 8:23 am

landed at t5 last friday from Madeira 15 mins to get through only half passport machines in operation, no checks
Old Aug 29, 2021, 2:26 pm

My OH was telling me that they’ve recently reduced UKBF staff at T5 (she was told by UKBF staff themselves) and the queues, around 21.00-22.00 the past 2 days, were huge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.