Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2021, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
Regarding boosters ...

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/vaccina...years/46738564

"In a policy brief published on Friday, the Swiss National Covid Science Task Force writes that after mRNA vaccination, individuals below 65 years of age likely maintain more than 50% protection against mild infection for 16 months or longer and more than 80% protection against severe infection for more than three years."
I'm still trying to decide if I go for my third Pfizer in a few weeks since I have the chance! So I would have had them0-7-14
Old Jun 26, 2021, 9:51 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by DaveS
With 23 deaths reported today, we share that figure with Honduras. Honduras reported 1,531 cases today and has a population 6.5 times less than the UK. There is still some reason to be optimistic with the vaccination drive giving the UK a very low death rate compared with most other countries. With just over double the UK population, Russia reported 619 deaths today.
Maybe so, but how high do we really let the infection numbers go? That’s assuming they keep going up of course. Isn’t there a 3 week lag on deaths? Because three weeks ago we were a lot closer to Honduras’ cases than now.
I see America’s numbers have started rising again as well.. they are going to be less protected by a very much stalled vaccine rollout.

Originally Posted by Misco60
Any thoughts of further loosening of restrictions while cases are out of control is madness.
It’s not like Boris has nailed his colours to the mast and declared July 19th a terminus date... Not sure anything will come back to bite him at this rate
Old Jun 26, 2021, 11:00 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The figures can go.as high as they like… as long as the hospitalisation don’t go wild.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 11:55 am

Any thoughts of further loosening of restrictions while cases are out of control is madness.
What do we gain by keeping restrictions in place?

On the other hand, hospitals treating the covid cases that arise in unvaccinated people now means they won't have to treat them in the autumn, when of course the NHS comes under huge strain every year anyway.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Let those that feel the need to isolate stay indoors for the rest of their lives for all I care. Once again a miniscule minority expect the overwhelming majority that were unaffected before vaccines, and that majority has grown considerably with vaccines, double jabbed or not. Everyone has pretty much done their bit for us to return to normal, and not this nonsense "new normal". If people are scared of risk in their lives stay indoors. Road deaths, smoking, accidents, the list goes on, life is full of risks and this nonsense that it can be eliminated is just ridiculous now. Just open everything on 19th July and be done.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The figures can go.as high as they like… as long as the hospitalisation don’t go wild.
It can be argued that infections are of no consequence if they do not lead to hospitalisation or death, but we are not going to be free to travel to other countries (other than to a handful of bucket-and-spade destinations willing to risk everything for tourist income) until our infection rate is under control again. I'd have thought that would be a prime consideration on a frequent flyer forum.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Dan1113
I'm still trying to decide if I go for my third Pfizer in a few weeks since I have the chance! So I would have had them0-7-14
Just get 10 on the same day and be done for life
Old Jun 26, 2021, 2:14 pm

It can be argued that infections are of no consequence if they do not lead to hospitalisation or death, but we are not going to be free to travel to other countries (other than to a handful of bucket-and-spade destinations willing to risk everything for tourist income) until our infection rate is under control again. I'd have thought that would be a prime consideration on a frequent flyer forum.
Tourism-based economies have the option of allowing vaccinated holidaymakers only: for example, I don't think a country requiring a PCR test + Vaccination Certificate is being reckless or risking everything.

For those refusing vaccination, I agree with you - travel could be very hard, if not impossible.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 2:33 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
If merkel and macron get their way - all of the EU will close to us with things the way they are, whether we are vaccinated or not. Countries in the Med really need UK tourists, so they are unlikely to completely close to the UK, but, like Malta, I can easily see them say you can only come if you're vaccinated.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 6:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HB7
If merkel and macron get their way - all of the EU will close to us with things the way they are, whether we are vaccinated or not. Countries in the Med really need UK tourists, so they are unlikely to completely close to the UK, but, like Malta, I can easily see them say you can only come if you're vaccinated.
yeah but they have the US arriving to fill in for now, LOL.

what i am curious about is what they would do when/if the US delta overtakes and creates an equally significant increase in cases.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 12:10 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Without wishing to stray into OMNI territory, I wonder if the departure of Matt Hancock will make the easing of travel restrictions happen sooner. It was reported early this month that Grant Shapps and Matt Hancock had a big row over Malta going green and then it didn't. Sajid Javid is bright guy and as a former chancellor, business secretary and banker, he may be more sympathetic to the financial cost of the restrictions.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 12:46 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by HB7
In Greece standard operating procedure is
just to immediately test on arrival all UK arrivals vaccinated or not.

their belief is the delta variant will become dominant globally one way or another and that the best defence is to speed up immunity as much as possible.

(in Greece unlike uk vaccinated ppl are having more and more rights such as not needing any tests etc )
Silver Fox, LETTERBOY and HGOLI like this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by DaveS
Without wishing to stray into OMNI territory, I wonder if the departure of Matt Hancock will make the easing of travel restrictions happen sooner. It was reported early this month that Grant Shapps and Matt Hancock had a big row over Malta going green and then it didn't. Sajid Javid is bright guy and as a former chancellor, business secretary and banker, he may be more sympathetic to the financial cost of the restrictions.
I always liked Javid. Walking the way he did told me that, for a politician, he had some integrity. Could see him as a PM if he makes a good fist of this. Glad to see the back of Hancock although I would rather he had been sacked but sometimes you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.
LETTERBOY and HB7 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 1:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HB7
Merkel and Macron have said that but limited ability to do that and Spain very publicly has said no. Malta did impose a vaccine requirement though right? (To avoid quarantine at least)

And France still allows vaccinated U.K. visitors. Planning to utilize that this week. If it shuts down will just fly through Spain or at worst the US on my US passport with my CDC card and call it a mileage run!
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
There's a very interesting (and very short) piece in today's Observer newspaper:

Why most people who now die with Covid have been vaccinated

It could sound worrying that the majority of people dying with the now-dominant Delta (B.1.617.2) variant have been vaccinated. Does this mean the vaccines are ineffective? Far from it, it’s what we would expect from an effective but imperfect vaccine, a risk profile that varies hugely by age and the way the vaccines have been rolled out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.