Search
Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2021, 6:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PxC
I would be at peace with a 2-4 week delay (things are fairly normal now), as others seem to be when it has come up, Personally I would be less ok with continuing with the useless mask rules when the final step happens, especially while vaccinated
Just to give a sense of perspective here. We think that so far vaccines in the UK have saved about 60,000 lives since 1 January (and I think that's an underestimate). Using the same calculation process, and hence an underestimate, face masks have saved about 25,000 lives in the UK in 2021, by being a barrier for the 30-40% of Covid patients who are asymptomatic, and the separate 10% with very mild symptoms such as a sore throat. When the reservoir of cases gets lower and lower, then the vaccine proportion will go up, and the face mask proportion will go down.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Schwann
Are they still doing walk ins at Bracknell & Heathrow then? Trying to get a 2nd dose ASAP so curious to see if it could be a possibility.
Brentford Leisure centre should be doing walk-ins too. check Hounslow council's website.
Schwann likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 7:01 am

On face masks, I hope it becomes normalised to wear them if you’re unwell (eg you have a cold) and are having to take public transport…
Internaut, lhrsfo, Schwann and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 13901
Brentford Leisure centre should be doing walk-ins too. check Hounslow council's website.
Thank you. Am now following their Twitter which seems to get updated regularly.
13901 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 7:13 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I think a face mask will be normalised for many people for some time to come. As will a preference for drinking and dining al fresco. Three or even six months in, I would have said the old order, and old ways of doing things, would all reassert themselves in short order. Almost sixteen months in and I'm doubtful of this. I think the whole experience has, collectively speaking, changed us somewhat.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Your best bet from both a paperwork and quality of immunity perspective is to have both vaccines in England and late August / early September. So I would get her to plan a re-visit to Bracknell or Heathrow areas on the way to Scotland. Or push comes to the shove, a brief stop on the train at Newcastle on the way up...... By that time the national booking system should give good date options, but you won't see that until you are in mid August, as things stand.
I have not booked anything for return until we know if Scotland will still have 10 day quarantine. Going to be a huge hassle on that end if it does and adding another stop would be difficult. Moving in to a new flat, arranging stuff to be delivered, and getting all that squared away before coursework starts is going to be tricky if quarantine is in force.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Just back from my 2nd AZ jab at my local college. Steady flow of people coming in .
Felt the needle going in this time unlike the first time but so far ok.
will take it easy tonight and not go out for my usual jog just to be safe.

Regards

Tbs

PS- The morning after- no side effects so far only a slight discomfort in my jabbed arm if i lift my elbow to be horizontal or above my shoulder ( ie stretching) but as I work on pc's and not heavy manual work it is not a bother.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jun 11, 2021 at 6:46 am
Old Jun 10, 2021, 10:18 am
Original Poster

not good at all - seems our Pfizer supplies are drying up just when we need them the most.

They should open up AZ to those under 40 willing to take it as walk on ins.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dan1113
https://twitter.com/CapitalScotNews/...40128?s=19itna
not good at all - seems our Pfizer supplies are drying up just when we need them the most.

They should open up AZ to those under 40 willing to take it as walk on ins.
A large number of St Andrews students located in both Scotland and England all in the 18-22 year old range reported being able to book Pfizer appointments yesterday. Why, if supplies are faltering?
Old Jun 10, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Daily data:

Cases 7,393 (5.274 last Wednesday)
Deaths 7 (18)
Patients admitted 153 (110 on the 30th)
Patients in hospital 1,048 (919 on the 1st)
Patients in ventilation beds 158 (129 on the 2nd)
People vaccinated up to and including 09 June 2021:
First dose: 40,886,878
Second dose: 28,857,102

The rolling seven day daily average for cases is now up 63.2% on the previous week and the same measure for deaths is up 1.9%. The rolling 7 day daily average for deaths is 7.9 today. We should be over the 70 million mark on vaccinations with today jabs.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 12:13 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
And some more data:

Current risk of new daily COVID infection
  • in the unvaccinated: 1 in 2,908
  • after 1 vaccine dose: 1 in 7,091
  • after 2 vaccine doses : 1 in 22,455
This data shows that when people have received both vaccinations they have much greater protection against COVID-19.

“The COVID-19 situation in the UK has rapidly changed from one of the best performing nations to a nation again struggling with rising cases. Official confirmed cases are now around 7,500, which is the highest daily figure since late February. However, when you dig into the data, it’s clear that this is an epidemic among the unvaccinated and partially vaccinated populations in the UK and, due to the way vaccines have been rolled out, is largely affecting younger generations. The rapid rise is likely down to two compounding factors; increased social interaction and a newly dominant variant that is much more transmissible. It’s no surprise that people are becoming fatigued with social distancing after a long 15 months of restrictions, which will only encourage the spread. The good news is that fully vaccinated people have much greater protection. Vaccines are working and we want to encourage people to exercise caution, especially if they feel at all unwell, until they’ve been fully vaccinated. The race is on to fully vaccinate the whole population to save lives and return to normal life”
https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/cases...e-vaccinations
Old Jun 10, 2021, 12:20 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
A large number of St Andrews students located in both Scotland and England all in the 18-22 year old range reported being able to book Pfizer appointments yesterday. Why, if supplies are faltering?
I haven't really seen much faltering of supplies, I'm working as much as I have ever done. What may be behind this is that supplies have been a bit above normal for a few weeks and will dip back to a more normal level. Either way I suspect everyone will soon be allowed to book vaccines in the next few days. We had some 17 year olds yesterday.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Old Jun 10, 2021, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by fransknorge
This is sobering and the sort of information that too many of my fellow Americans will ignore. Our vaccine rollout has slowed dramatically, to the point where people are literally being paid to get vaccinated.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by fransknorge
No need to wait a week: hospital admissions are rising exponentially in North West England, specially for the most unvaccinated age group:

https://www.ft.com/content/f2ae00ee-...e-49f5cb540321
Perhaps I am misreading the charts, but it looks like, compared to the fall wave, growth in hospitalizations is only half the rate of case growth. That is, the rate of hospitalizations is decreasing as the age of patients skews downward. This would support the argument for vaccinating the most at-risk groups first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.