Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2021, 6:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Internaut
Depends on the outcome. If it potentially means an average of 100 deaths per day where previously it would have been 1000, for the same level of cases, then yes it wouldn't be great. However, this seems unlikely. Chances are the majority of those going into hospital treatment, right now, will be alive when they leave.
Yes, I don't think anyone expects everyone going in to hospital will end up dying. I haven't seen any suggestion the outcomes for those hospitalised are any different than they were for non vaccinated people.
Old May 27, 2021, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes, I don't think anyone expects everyone going in to hospital will end up dying. I haven't seen any suggestion the outcomes for those hospitalised are any different than they were for non vaccinated people.
Some numbers from India:

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/very...e-dose-2446002

Across Max hospitals, 13,965 staff members have received both doses of the Covid vaccine and only 6 per cent of them have been infected. Out of these, nine out of every 10 patients recovered at home while one out of every 100 required hospitalisation and only one death was recorded.
There isn't a control group and we don't know any other data (e.g. age etc), so I find it difficult to come up with understandable numbers. But considering the average of 20 (mostly unvaccinated) doctors dying a day, there does seem very strong evidence of the effectiveness of vaccines (inc AZ).
Internaut and DaveS like this.
Old May 27, 2021, 9:22 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Daily data:

Cases 3,542 (2,874 last Thursday)
Deaths 10 (7)
Patients admitted 112 (101 on the 17th)
Patients in hospital 916 (895 on the 18th)
Patients in ventilation beds 125 (122 on the 19th)
People vaccinated up to and including 26 May 2021:
First dose: 38,614,683
Second dose: 24,043,956

The rolling seven day daily average for cases is now up 20.5% on the previous week and the same measure for deaths is up 14.0%. The rolling 7 day daily average for deaths is 8.1 today. The number of cases continues to rise, though still a fairly low number overall. The vaccination rate is still improving however with first jabs making up nearly a third of the daily total.
HB7 and alex67500 like this.
Old May 27, 2021, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Since the vaccines are generally around 90-95% effective, why do you come to that conclusion?
I understand vaccines are not perfect but the different effective rates we have seen are usually against mild infection; when we speak of serious infection (which you would assume a hospitalisation involves), the rates are pretty much 100% - at least they were on paper before.
konagirl2 likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 2:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dan1113
I understand vaccines are not perfect but the different effective rates we have seen are usually against mild infection; when we speak of serious infection (which you would assume a hospitalisation involves), the rates are pretty much 100% - at least they were on paper before.
I think that's reflected in the death rate, which is effectively zero, given that other things can cause death. As a broad generalisaton, the relatively low number of people in hospital - under 1,000, well under 1% of hospital bed capacity - remains fairly low and is made up overwhelmingly (72%) of those with no vaccines or one recent vaccine, compared to 34% of the adult population in this position. This compares to January when there were 40,000 people in hospital, representing about a quarter of NHS beds (and about a third due to the segregation needed for Covid). Though there has clearly been a rise, the worst place, Bolton is actually now seems to be on a downwards slope, numbers wise. Blackburn is rising slightly.

I'm not aware of any vaccine which is 100% effective. The COVID vaccines are in the top quartile in terms of performance.
Silver Fox and DaveS like this.
Old May 27, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think that's reflected in the death rate, which is effectively zero, given that other things can cause death. As a broad generalisaton, the relatively low number of people in hospital - under 1,000, well under 1% of hospital bed capacity - remains fairly low and is made up overwhelmingly (72%) of those with no vaccines or one recent vaccine, compared to 34% of the adult population in this position. This compares to January when there were 40,000 people in hospital, representing about a quarter of NHS beds (and about a third due to the segregation needed for Covid). Though there has clearly been a rise, the worst place, Bolton is actually now seems to be on a downwards slope, numbers wise. Blackburn is rising slightly.

I'm not aware of any vaccine which is 100% effective. The COVID vaccines are in the top quartile in terms of performance.
so we open June 21?
Seriously we all need to stop living on statistics daily if there is no risk to NHS let’s end all restrictions
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 2:46 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well this was an unfortunate text 3.5 weeks after my first Pfizer dose. Israel's serological testing at the border would not be happy...
So this related to NHS antibody testing. From some internal work, we are seeing fairly good results from the Elecsys Anti-SARS-CoV-2 S test made by Roche Diagnostics. The S stands for Spike protein. Specifically the quantative test, not a qualative one, which can be initiatiated by capillary lancet at home. The non-profit Testing For All markets this test under Immunity Tracker, doubtless there are others. It's best done 3 weeks after the second Pfizer, people with AZ should go in the 3 to 6 weeks period after vaccination. There are a lot of caveats with this, and antibody testing is fraught with problems such that it can't really be recommended for general use.
https://www.testingforall.org/unders...s-test-result/
Old May 27, 2021, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

So this related to NHS antibody testing. From some internal work, we are seeing fairly good results from the Elecsys Anti-SARS-CoV-2 S test made by Roche Diagnostics. The S stands for Spike protein. Specifically the quantative test, not a qualative one, which can be initiatiated by capillary lancet at home. The non-profit Testing For All markets this test under Immunity Tracker, doubtless there are others. It's best done 3 weeks after the second Pfizer, people with AZ should go in the 3 to 6 weeks period after vaccination. There are a lot of caveats with this, and antibody testing is fraught with problems such that it can't really be recommended for general use.
https://www.testingforall.org/unders...s-test-result/
My partner and I - both neg on the govt test - bought the vaccine antibody test from testing for all last week and we both are full of antibodies!
Old May 27, 2021, 3:35 pm

My partner and I - both neg on the govt test - bought the vaccine antibody test from testing for all last week and we both are full of antibodies!
Over 100?
Old May 28, 2021, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Over 100?
Ok, maybe I got over-excited with my comment. I was at 75, and my partner at 95. I don't actually know how good this is as it didn't say at X level you won't go to hospital, at Y level you won't even catch it haha. Both of us got our first doses of Pfizer in mid-April.
Old May 28, 2021, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Glasgow to remain at level 3 for another week

Hi,

The first minister has just announced that Glasgow will remain at level 3 for another week.

Regards

Tbs
KARFA likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
The J&J vaccine has been approved in the UK, available later this year.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 6:04 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Schwann
The J&J vaccine has been approved in the UK, available later this year.
Finally! A shame it isn’t here already.
LETTERBOY and Schwann like this.
Old May 28, 2021, 8:25 am

The CAA have released their April passenger movement data here. Some countries of interest are below. this is all countries with >10,000 movements plus a few others of interest.

There were 0 passengers from South Africa. Heathrow saw a total of 536,040 passengers pass through its terminals in April (including transit passengers). This compares with 6,798,206 in April 2019.
Old May 28, 2021, 9:15 am

Daily data:

Cases 4,182 (2,829 last Friday)
Deaths 10 (9)
Patients admitted 134 (101 on the 17th)
Patients in hospital 889 (915 on the 19th)
Patients in ventilation beds 120 (123 on the 20th)
People vaccinated up to and including 27 May 2021:
First dose: 38,871,200
Second dose: 24,478,052

The rolling seven day daily average for cases is now up 24.0% on the previous week and the same measure for deaths is up 38.1%. The rolling 7 day daily average for deaths is 8.3 today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.