Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2021, 2:20 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Had my first Pfizer yesterday, a bit disorganised as it started raining heavily (plus a few seconds of hail) just as I arrived, so everyone came inside and there was no distancing, not that people are really bothering with that any more.

But more importantly nobody knew where the queue was. I thought I was waiting behind 20 other people and everyone was trying to keep track of where the person who arrived before them was standing. Turned out that most of those 20 were just standing around waiting to leave, and I could have gone straight into the room on arrival.

4 hours afterwards the area of my arm around the vaccine site started to hurt a lot, no loss of strength or range of motion, but it still hurts over 24 hours later. Had a bit of a headache 12 hours after but 500mg paracetamol sorted it.

So far during the pandemic I have not taken a single Covid test, but at the end of March 2020 I had a bad cough which lasted for about 10 days.

My wife went for hers today and seems to be having the same after-effects as me.

I guess we are in a high uptake area as I'm sure some of the other people were 28 or 29, and the centre was appointment only (they didn't even check though, and seems to be Pfizer only at the moment).
Old May 19, 2021, 2:50 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
So, I am now in the two jags club!

Lots of places are running "2nd AZ" walk-in clinics for anyone who's had an AZ vaccine more than 8 weeks ago. I'm just in that category, so popped along today (it's only about a 10 minute bike ride to a very local hospital for local people).

All well organised, mostly staffed by firefighters this time, so a good laugh all round. Everybody tells me there's little effect from the second jag - here's hoping!

As my LA borders one of the B1.617 hotspots, am very glad to get done.
DaveS likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 2:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by alex67500
Now that we're under 40, maybe it should just be open to anyone to make sure everyone can get one as and when they have time.
I think and hope that time is coming. I'm sure some people are finding it too problematic to get an invitation, so don't try too hard, and younger males in particular often don't even know where they are registered / if they are registered. I hope we simplify this aspect so that it's easier to get vaccines, and focus on those left behind.
alex67500 and squawk like this.
Old May 19, 2021, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think and hope that time is coming. I'm sure some people are finding it too problematic to get an invitation, so don't try too hard, and younger males in particular often don't even know where they are registered / if they are registered. I hope we simplify this aspect so that it's easier to get vaccines, and focus on those left behind.
What's your thoughts on the Scottish method to continue with letters? I read that in Aberdeen nearly half of appointments are being missed...
Old May 19, 2021, 3:41 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dan1113
What's your thoughts on the Scottish method to continue with letters? I read that in Aberdeen nearly half of appointments are being missed...
I really don't know enough about it to comment. We send out letters, and most people come along on the date offered, but this would be for those people for whom we don't have a text number. So generally elderly with perhaps a bit more time on their hands. When the age cohorts have been offered to those 16 years plus then it seems to me obvious the focus will shift to those missed, and that's best addressed by walk-ins and other easy ways to get jabbed.
Old May 19, 2021, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I knew for sure anywhere near her might take walkins I would tell the kid to start ubering, but my Uber budget is not unlimited!
squawk likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 4:30 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Dan1113
If you are still waiting for an appointment for Scotland, you can easily check up on it here: https://invitations.vacs.nhs.scot/

They have typically been getting back to people within 15 minutes based what I hear (up to 22:00 today, someone tried after that and hasn't received an answer yet).
They didn't find an appointment for me (GLA based, mid-30s, changed address/GP a couple of months ago) and they say that they will investigate and get back to me.
Old May 19, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I wonder if they will allow ppl to start choosing which jab they want the more the supply gets and the more choice there is like in some other countries.
Old May 19, 2021, 5:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Ikaz
They didn't find an appointment for me (GLA based, mid-30s, changed address/GP a couple of months ago) and they say that they will investigate and get back to me.
AFAIK, if that’s the totality of your relevant circumstances, then you’re not due a letter/appointment yet are you? They’ve just finished with letters to 40+ and have only just started on 38/39. Exceptions obviously for underlying conditions and particular hotspot postcodes.
Old May 20, 2021, 12:05 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
AFAIK, if that’s the totality of your relevant circumstances, then you’re not due a letter/appointment yet are you? They’ve just finished with letters to 40+ and have only just started on 38/39. Exceptions obviously for underlying conditions and particular hotspot postcodes.
No reason for me to have received an invitation so far, that is correct. My main concern was to make sure that they have my updated address, which they now do.
Old May 20, 2021, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I wonder if they will allow ppl to start choosing which jab they want the more the supply gets and the more choice there is like in some other countries.
I think that will probably inadvertently happen later on, in that the vaccination centres will work less to a programmed list of patients and more on a bit of that and a bit of walk-ins - word will get out and about. I know you are looking out for J&J as a one-stop-shop but if you see that other people here have used their persistance to get Pfizer or AZ, they will be on their second vaccinations pretty much at the time that J&J will get rolled out. Even if MHRA announced it today, if it's like Moderna we will have to wait some time before it gets out and about. Young KARFA is I think the only regular in this thread to have had Moderna, and after doing over 7,000 vaccinations I've still to even see a vial.
HB7 and KARFA like this.
Old May 20, 2021, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Well I have done my bit for Queen and country and had the second jab via a walk-in. Plenty of others, from some intense eavesdropping, seem to be doing the same thing.
And just to update people, start of dog exercise this morning, NHS app had not been updated with second dose, at endex it had updated. So, had the jab at ~1530 yesterday, updated between ~0645 and ~0730 today. Today's top tip is to take the dog (or possibly any dog, won't work with cats apparently) for a walk to get the app updated. You heard it here first.
HB7, bluemoon68, alex67500 and 3 others like this.
Old May 20, 2021, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
If I knew for sure anywhere near her might take walkins I would tell the kid to start ubering, but my Uber budget is not unlimited!
Everywhere should be taking walk ins to finish that final vial. Sometimes you can be lucky and there be more than that numbers. It would be worth phoning local pharmacies and asking to be put on a spares list. Pharmacies don’t want 20+ people standing outside on busy pavements every evening, so usually operate by phoning people to finish the final vial.
Old May 20, 2021, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by bluemoon68
Everywhere should be taking walk ins to finish that final vial. Sometimes you can be lucky and there be more than that numbers. It would be worth phoning local pharmacies and asking to be put on a spares list.
I’m quite familiar with the small town that VickiSoCal’s daughter is studying at, and unless it’s changed drastically since I spent time there, there aren’t that many pharmacies. There is also a very large international student population who no doubt would jump quickly on any vaccines that are available.
Old May 20, 2021, 2:56 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think that will probably inadvertently happen later on, in that the vaccination centres will work less to a programmed list of patients and more on a bit of that and a bit of walk-ins - word will get out and about. I know you are looking out for J&J as a one-stop-shop but if you see that other people here have used their persistance to get Pfizer or AZ, they will be on their second vaccinations pretty much at the time that J&J will get rolled out. Even if MHRA announced it today, if it's like Moderna we will have to wait some time before it gets out and about. Young KARFA is I think the only regular in this thread to have had Moderna, and after doing over 7,000 vaccinations I've still to even see a vial.
In GR J&J will be able to be chosen by the end of the month for over 30's, that's why I am asking.
In USA you can already choose it, but getting there is another story naturally, hopefully with Biden's visit for the G7 that may change soon.
I am just wary of young people if they get jabbed around now they won't have a passport until September, so if the J&J come by July then it's still a win.
The booking system here would be different for J&J I assume as you would not be arranging a 2nd jab at all.

Also an important question, is there really a point for fully vaccinated people to quarantine upon arrival or is it just not to discriminate against unvaccinated as it hasn't been offered to everyone yet?
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.