Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2021, 4:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KSVVZ2015
In a restaurant or similar do people have a legal right to decline to provide track and trace information. I know the restaurant is legally required to ask but is a patron legally required to provide it?
I am not sure what information you are providing to the restaurant? Usually you just scan the QR code.
Old May 9, 2021, 4:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA
I am not sure what information you are providing to the restaurant? Usually you just scan the QR code.
when I go to the local pub they ask if I have the app. I say no so they send you to another website to fill in some basic information - name, phone, DOB etc. Went to a cafe today that didn’t use the app but had their own track and trace data collection form to fill in after scanning a QR code.
Old May 9, 2021, 4:53 am

when I go to the local pub they ask if I have the app. I say no so they send you to another website to fill in some basic information - name, phone, DOB etc. Went to a cafe today that didn’t use the app but had their own track and trace data collection form to fill in after scanning a QR code.
well if you don't have the app and don't want to scan they are obliged to ask you for those details. you are not obliged to provide them, but if you don't the venue is supposed to deny you entry. the easiest course of action therefore seems to get the app since your visit is recorded but the venue does not hold any of your personal details.
Old May 9, 2021, 5:03 am
Suspended

well if you don't have the app and don't want to scan they are obliged to ask you for those details. you are not obliged to provide them, but if you don't the venue is supposed to deny you entry. the easiest course of action therefore seems to get the app since your visit is recorded but the venue does not hold any of your personal details.
Thanks. I think that answers my question that essentially their is an (indirect) obligation to either use the app or provide data.

I have no issue giving my details to the restaurant. It’s the giving of them to the government that concerns me. While I support the mission in principle, it is dubious in practice given people don’t get information regarding the actual exposure to allow them to evaluate the specific circumstances. Now that I will soon be fully vaccinated, the stories of fully vaccinated people getting called and told they are legally obligated to self isolate for 10 days is beyond absurd and I want no part in it.

Seems the better solution is to fake it (pretend to scan the app - no one really ever looks at your phone) or just fill out forms as Mickey Mouse (again no one seems to check).

And yes, I’m well aware that many on this forum will disagree with my views on the subject.
LETTERBOY and kingstontoon like this.
Old May 9, 2021, 5:10 am

Seems the better solution is to fake it (pretend to scan the app - no one really ever looks at your phone) or just fill out forms as Mickey Mouse (again no one seems to check).
Or just not visit the place to start with?
alex67500 likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 5:13 am
Suspended

Or just not visit the place to start with?
I certainly want to do my part to support the hospitality industry!
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 5:15 am

I certainly want to do my part to support the hospitality industry!
Using track and trace falls squarely within that. It is one of the factors which is helping them open up.
Old May 9, 2021, 5:15 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
In Weatherspoons a few days ago, they made a point of telling everyone that they would not be served without the contact information. They handed out forms for you to enter your name, phone number and time of visit (if you did not have the app). Then they did not bother collecting the forms...
Internaut, LETTERBOY and KSVVZ2015 like this.
Old May 9, 2021, 5:16 am
Suspended

Using track and trace falls squarely within that. It is one of the factors which is helping them open up.
And I agree with you in principle. The execution however is unreasonable in practice.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 5:17 am

And I agree with you in principle. The execution however is unreasonable in practice.
So what in your mind would you change to make it reasonable?
Old May 9, 2021, 5:24 am
Suspended

So what in your mind would you change to make it reasonable?
no legal isolation requirement for vaccinated folks and a meaningful exposure assessment for anyone else. self isolation should only be legally required when the risk is clearly high. A secondary course could be daily testing and symptom reporting for moderate risk situations.

Somewhat analogous example, I was contacted by the Italian ministry of health last year to isolate after exposure on a flight. Ignoring the fact that I had no idea where the person was sitting in relation to me, the flight in question was 40 minutes long, turbulent, with no service and therefore my surgical mask remained on the entire time (along with just about everyone else given it’s Italy and they are strong on mask compliance). The chance of exposure was thus extremely small. The idea of telling someone to isolate for 14 days is absurd in such a situation.

Had it been on a flight with a meal where the infected passenger sat next to me, then self isolation would have been Reasonable.

PS The Italian situation was actually kind of laughable as it was 11 days after the flight. I had exited, re-entered, and exited Italy in the time since.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 5:28 am

no legal isolation requirement for vaccinated folks and a meaningful exposure assessment for anyone else. Somewhat analogous example, I was contacted by the Italian ministry of health last year to isolate after exposure on a flight. Ignoring the fact that I had no idea where the person was sitting in relation to me, the flight in question was 40 minutes long, turbulent, with no service and therefore my surgical mask remained on the entire time (along with just about everyone else given it’s Italy and they are strong on mask compliance). The chance of exposure was thus extremely small. The idea of telling someone to isolate for 14 days is absurd in such a situation.

Had it been on a flight with a meal where the infected passenger sat next to me, then self isolation would have been Reasonable.

PS The Italian situation was actually kind of laughable as it was 11 days after the flight. I had exited, re-entered, and exited Italy in the time since.
thanks for the reply.

so if they removed the legal obligation to self isolate would there be any circumstances you would still do and stay at home for 10 days it if told that you were in proximity to someone who has subsequently tested positive?
Old May 9, 2021, 5:30 am
Suspended

thanks for the reply.

so if they removed the legal obligation to self isolate would there be any circumstances you would still do and stay at home for 10 days it if told that you were in proximity to someone who has subsequently tested positive?
yes - if I was in maskless close proximity to an infected person for more than a trivial amount of time
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 5:30 am
Suspended

thanks for the reply.

yes - if I was in maskless close proximity to an infected person for more than a trivial amount of time
Old May 9, 2021, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by DaveS
In Weatherspoons a few days ago, they made a point of telling everyone that they would not be served without the contact information. They handed out forms for you to enter your name, phone number and time of visit (if you did not have the app). Then they did not bother collecting the forms...
yes, we do seem to do things half-arsed sometimes!

it is uncomfortable to say this, but generally countries which have done well at keeping infections and deaths very low have been those who have rigorously implemented a track & trace program which everyone has followed. I don’t like that conclusion because I don’t like the obvious privacy and freedom implications - but unfortunately the virus doesn’t care about that. Perhaps therefore the UK approach is as good as we will accept whilst still having some degree of risk reduction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.