Wiki Posts
Search

London postal code areas - question?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
London postal code areas - question?

Why are the designations in each region so scattered? SE2 is at the opposite end from SE1 for example, and there is no logical pattern. Did the areas get subdivided over time causing that seeming randomness?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
SE1 is the HQ for the area.

SE2-SE19 are arranged alphabetically (SE2 being Abbey Wood, SE3 being Blackheath). Alphabetical numbering starts again at SE20 (districts added later).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SE_postcode_area
Markie, DavidDTW and expatboy like this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I figured there had to be some logic to it. Thanks!
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 3:16 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Don't forget the other complexities...

There is N, E, SE, SW, W and NW. But not NE (Newcastle) or S (Sheffield). There is a WC and EC, and some codes are later subdivided (e.g. N1 and N1C).

The postal county of London doesn't match the official county of Greater London, so there are parts of London with their own postcode, which also often stretches beyond the boundary (CRoydon, Bromley, TWickenham UxBridge, ENfield, DArtford, etc, etc). This is much loved by people who say they live in Surrey, despite having been part of London since 1974.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.