Wiki Posts
Search

Time to get through immigration at LGW - U.S. passport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
Time to get through immigration at LGW - U.S. passport

Found an old thread but would like more recent info.

I'm arriving LGW at 22:10 (10:10 pm) on BA from Italy. I need to get the National Express bus to LHR at either 23:15 or 23:45.

I have a U.S. passport.

How long do you think it will take for me to get through immigration/customs at this time of the night. It's a Monday in October.

1. With cabin lugguage only.
2. With a single checked bag.

I'm flying Club Europe (Business Class) if that matters.

Thanks.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
I would say it's impossible to predict with any degree of certainty. My wife/kids are US citizens, and we recently came through LGW and it took quite a while since the kids can't use e-gates. If you can use e-gates, it should be pretty quick.

The biggest unknown may be delays to arrival. The other thing I would say is that priority luggage rarely works on BA: if you check a bag, it may out by the time you clear immigration, or you may have a 10-15 minute wait.

tb
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:42 am

US citizens can use e-gates now so it’s really quick.

The risk factor would be the checked bag, BA doesn’t do priority baggage and sometimes there are problems with equipment and such - usually 15 minute wait but I’ve had it take an hour before. If catching the bus is critical I would try very hard to avoid a checked bag to reduce risk.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You could get a flexible National Express ticket if your main concern is which bus to get.

Significant delays, either to your flight or your baggage, have no good bus answers. Past the 23:45 bus, the next one is at 03:something. If you're staying overnight, perhaps you could prepare to stay at the Gatwick hotels (for example, the giant Hilton there) and travel early in the morning?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 12:20 am

I would never assume that a late evening flight in European airspace will land at the scheduled time. Delays are a frequent hazard.
I would want a planB up my sleeve.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Quicker than any airport in the US (ignoring if you have GE). Grrrr. Why can't the US be this simple?

Anyway, now that's that out the way, assuming no checked bags, if your plane lands as scheduled you should easily have enough time. I have come through at that hour plenty of times and the absolute longest has been 5 mins. But as someone said I would have Plan B just in case.
lhrsfo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.