Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Small town outside London.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Small town outside London.

Visiting London first two weeks of June. Its my wife, toddler, and Mother in law. Any suggestions on a small town South or Southeast of London to hang out at and relax for a couple days? Nature, parks, rivers and such to explore around. We fly out of Gatwick so the South and Southeast is easiest but open to other directions. We were planning on Brighton but it sounds like it would be crowded and doesn't seem all that interesting at first glance. Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: too many
Rottingdean on a day trip
Whistable
Bexhill on sea
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Brighton not all that interesting?

It's one of the premier resorts in the UK with the Royal Pavilion, pier, i360 and not far from the south downs for walks etc. And that's just for starters.

Lewes is close by with the castle for example.

Walk the undercliff walk to Rottingdean and have a pub lunch (and get the bus back!)

And June isn't prime visitor time (other than weekends) as the kids will be still at school.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Winchester, the ancient capital of England?

Easy to reach from London, an hour on a fast train from Waterloo or straight down the M3 motorway if driving.

It has a fabulous cathedral (longest Gothic nave in Europe) and surrounded by beautiful countryside: rolling hills, rivers, large villages, perfect for country walks. Plus some great restaurants and pubs.

If you’ve been in London, I would say it’s a perfect counterpoint to the metropolitan buzz, without being too sleepy.

I love Brighton, but its nickname of ‘London-by-the-Sea’ has some merit.
Silver Fox and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

And June isn't prime visitor time (other than weekends) as the kids will be still at school.
Ill admit ignorance on this. Our Schools are out June 1 thru Mid August in the states. And we'd be there mid week.

Good list so far everyone. Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:57 am

How about the white cliffs of Dover?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dover would be sub-optimal choice. Whitstable and Canterbury are much nicer Kentish options.

I’d endorse Winchester Lewes and also suggest Salisbury.

Pick wisely as there are plenty of small towns in the South that people pay good money to escape from. I know as I grew up in one 😉
MSPeconomist and NeedstoFly like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:40 am

It’s much closer to London but look at Richmond. Keep Gardens, Kew Palace, Richmond Park, River Thames, I think Hampton Court is not far away. Very easy access to London and to Gatwick.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:42 am

That should be Kew Gardens of course
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by bradleykhofmann
Ill admit ignorance on this. Our Schools are out June 1 thru Mid August in the states. And we'd be there mid week.

Good list so far everyone. Thanks!
For example Brighton schools break up for summer on 29th July and return on 5th September so much later than in the US. There maybe a couple of days variation in other parts of the UK though.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hornetcoach
It’s much closer to London but look at Richmond. Keep Gardens, Kew Palace, Richmond Park, River Thames, I think Hampton Court is not far away. Very easy access to London and to Gatwick.
Ah, good one actually. I've forgotten about Richmond Park, wanted to check that out last time I was there and didn't. Kew Gardens too.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver
What do you mean by small town? Brighton has a population of about 250k I think - making it a very large town by U.K. standards (I think now it’s actually joined with Hove in city status).

A “small town” here is probably somewhere with no more than ~20k people, and quite possibly a lot less.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Hornetcoach
Far more suitable for a day or half day trip from central London, they are all still in Greater London and not in the country,

If you’re spending 2 weeks in London I would not recommend any of the above for your 2-3 day country trip.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by bradleykhofmann
Visiting London first two weeks of June. Its my wife, toddler, and Mother in law. Any suggestions on a small town South or Southeast of London to hang out at and relax for a couple days? Nature, parks, rivers and such to explore around. We fly out of Gatwick so the South and Southeast is easiest but open to other directions. We were planning on Brighton but it sounds like it would be crowded and doesn't seem all that interesting at first glance. Thanks in advance!

Have you been to York. It's not south but might be just what you are looking for. I also Like Salisbury. The cathedral is amazing and you could always throw in Stonehenge.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
[QUOTE= .... I also Like Salisbury. The cathedral is amazing and you could always throw in Stonehenge.[/QUOTE]

Also been popular with Russian tourists recently because of the cathedral and its 123m tower and clock ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.