Search

Small town outside London.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Oxford and Cambridge
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
For a “couple of days” I’d be tempted to go a little further than Brighton. Distance in’t as important as accessibility. I’d therefore recommend the lovely ancient “city” of York which is over 200 miles away, but just over two hours by train from central London.

It has the street which was the inspiration for Harry Potter’s Diagon Alley, one of the most impressive Cathedrals in the UK, an odd Viking mini theme park and great value food, drinks and accommodation in the charming old town.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In addition to the suggestions above, Leamington Spa, although it's not on the side of London the OP specified.

It's not such a small town, but Bath is special and the center is walkable. You can also visit Stonehenge from there. Bristol is also rather nice.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:03 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Chichester is a good base. It's a tiny city (with an impressive cathedral), but there's plenty around it too. The old town of Arundel and its castle. Pretty Bosham, where Canute failed to make the tide turn. Bognor Regis - for better or worse, very traditional seaside. Amberley for the South Downs (and chalk pits).
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by stut
Chichester is a good base. It's a tiny city (with an impressive cathedral), but there's plenty around it too. The old town of Arundel and its castle. Pretty Bosham, where Canute failed to make the tide turn. Bognor Regis - for better or worse, very traditional seaside. Amberley for the South Downs (and chalk pits).
I'd second this, but also second an earlier post about Lewes - a small county town, but on the edge of the South Downs (perhaps base yourself in Lewes and go to Berwick for a gorgeous day walking on the Downs.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I wouldn't get hung up on the definition of small, town or city.

There are many examples of 'cities' in the US that wouldn't be considered a village in the UK.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Great ideas
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:34 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
For a “couple of days” I’d be tempted to go a little further than Brighton. Distance in’t as important as accessibility. I’d therefore recommend the lovely ancient “city” of York which is over 200 miles away, but just over two hours by train from central London.

It has the street which was the inspiration for Harry Potter’s Diagon Alley, one of the most impressive Cathedrals in the UK, an odd Viking mini theme park and great value food, drinks and accommodation in the charming old town.
And you didn't even mention the wonderful railroad museum!
antichef and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:19 am

There is much more than a few days variation on school summer holidays across the UK. Schools in Scotland are out from mid June to mid August - almost a full month adrift from many English schools.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
As a resident of Brighton, I cannot recommend it. It does have the Royal Pavillion which is worth a visit, but the town itself has become tired over the years, driving is difficult, parking is expensive and the town just doesn't have the sparkle that it used to have years ago.

I would second some of the suggestions above about West Sussex. Much depends if you intend to drive or not, Horsham might be a good base with direct trains to Chichester, Bognor etc. If you are driving, plenty of places within an hour of Horsham.
EuropeanPete and Silver Fox like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by bradleykhofmann
Visiting London first two weeks of June. Its my wife, toddler, and Mother in law. Any suggestions on a small town South or Southeast of London to hang out at and relax for a couple days? Nature, parks, rivers and such to explore around. We fly out of Gatwick so the South and Southeast is easiest but open to other directions. We were planning on Brighton but it sounds like it would be crowded and doesn't seem all that interesting at first glance. Thanks in advance!
If you want somewhere a bit slower paced, how about Stratford upon Avon, Shakespeare’s birthplace?

You can get there from central London.
It has the River Avon running through it with easy, kid friendly walks around the river.
It is in the county of Warwickshire, which has the towns of Warwick & the Royal Town of Leamington Spa on its doorstep - again, nice walks available, nice pubs, good restaurants in Warwick or Leamington.
You can do Shakespeare things in Stratford if your thing.
If you like flowers / plants, you can visit Birmingham Botanical Gardens in Edgbaston, and the University of Birmingham is a green campus with artsy things to do, too.

There is now a Hotel Du Vin (boutique type chain) in Stratford and a Hotel Indigo opening soon if wedded to IHG (already a Crowne Plaza on the river).

Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Sevenoaks or Tunbridge Wells?

lots of National Trust properties with beautiful grounds nearby, not far from the seaside and handy enough for all the airports
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:32 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
If you want somewhere a bit slower paced, how about Stratford upon Avon, Shakespeare’s birthplace?

You can get there from central London.
It has the River Avon running through it with easy, kid friendly walks around the river.
It is in the county of Warwickshire, which has the towns of Warwick & the Royal Town of Leamington Spa on its doorstep - again, nice walks available, nice pubs, good restaurants in Warwick or Leamington.
You can do Shakespeare things in Stratford if your thing.
If you like flowers / plants, you can visit Birmingham Botanical Gardens in Edgbaston, and the University of Birmingham is a green campus with artsy things to do, too.

There is now a Hotel Du Vin (boutique type chain) in Stratford and a Hotel Indigo opening soon if wedded to IHG (already a Crowne Plaza on the river).
I almost recommended Stratford upon Avon myself, as it's a really lovely town. I remember it being a bit of a pain to get to from London so I didn't mention in the end, but it's a really beautiful and peaceful place.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stut
Excellent suggestion too - could also hop on the train to Portsmouth for some maritime history.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
As a resident of Brighton, I cannot recommend it. It does have the Royal Pavillion which is worth a visit, but the town itself has become tired over the years, driving is difficult, parking is expensive and the town just doesn't have the sparkle that it used to have years ago.

I would second some of the suggestions above about West Sussex. Much depends if you intend to drive or not, Horsham might be a good base with direct trains to Chichester, Bognor etc. If you are driving, plenty of places within an hour of Horsham.
Not Horsham - accommodation choices are very limited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.