Wiki Posts
Search

Travelcard question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
I used my network railcard to buy a fully flexible st pancras to ashford X for 23 pounds--quite a savings from the 37.50 regular price.

Did someone say there is a collection point after T3 arrivals?
Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:51 am

See post 14. Detailed answer there
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
I used my network railcard to buy a fully flexible st pancras to ashford X for 23 pounds--quite a savings from the 37.50 regular price.

Did someone say there is a collection point after T3 arrivals?
Thanks
I said I thought there was, but in fact I checked the other day and couldn't find one. However you can collect from the machines in the Heathrow Express/TfL Rail station, which you pass on the way from T3 to the Underground station.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I said I thought there was, but in fact I checked the other day and couldn't find one. However you can collect from the machines in the Heathrow Express/TfL Rail station, which you pass on the way from T3 to the Underground station.
great thanks!

FWIW I don't know why southeastern rail is still in the dark ages with having to get a physical ticket. Why just not have a UPC on your email and/or app and have the ticket taker on board scan? It is beyond me in 2018 that buying a ticket online and then having to get a paper ticket still exists.

rant over.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:30 am

great thanks!

FWIW I don't know why southeastern rail is still in the dark ages with having to get a physical ticket. Why just not have a UPC on your email and/or app and have the ticket taker on board scan? It is beyond me in 2018 that buying a ticket online and then having to get a paper ticket still exists.

rant over.
At a guess, I'd say less to do with the ticket inspectors (which you will rarely encounter on commuter services anyway) and more the need to add new scanners on ticket barriers and ensuring they don't disrupt the flow. They've done it at Liverpool Street for example but not many others. The UK and London in particular makes much more use of ticket barriers on its train systems than most other countries (which overall I think is a good thing).
Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:03 pm

Paper tickets. Partly due to the separate franchises operated in the UK. All the train companies are legality required to accept the standard card ticket, no matter where issued.
But in electronic ticketing, every company has invented a different solution and they are not interoberable. Our delusional department of transport thinks "the market" will provide a solution - need I say any more.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:47 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The stupid thing is that the smartcard systems (which I regularly use) are technically intercompatible, as they're all based on ITSO. But the operators choose not to make them so.

Of course, the fact they're allowed to gather customer data from smartcard usage has, I'm sure, nothing to do with it.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Buses here in Brighton are about to introduce contactless but will charge the same as the cash price (despite it being cheaper to process than cash)

Nor will there be a cap to the cost of a daily travelcard.

They have missed a trick. I'll be sticking with using the cheaper app tickets.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Couldn’t find the damn kiosk anywhere and zero signage didn’t help.

Ugh.

FWIW my contactless tube ticket was free again. Lol

Last edited by enviroian; Nov 18, 2018 at 2:00 am
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:33 am

Couldn稚 find the damn kiosk anywhere and zero signage didn稚 help.

Ugh.

FWIW my contactless tube ticket was free again. Lol
What kiosk? Do you mean the ticket machines?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1

What kiosk? Do you mean the ticket machines?
Yes the ticket machines. I ended up collecting it at the one located in the ticket office. There was no line thankfully.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
If you're looking for the normal ticket machines at Heathrow T2/T3, they're not super well signposted. Basically though, when you're stood looking at the Heathrow Express ticket machines and ticket window, the normal National Rail ones are right behind you. After you come down the passageway from the T3-Central Bus station connector, they're on the left as you turn into the ticketing area.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
If you're looking for the normal ticket machines at Heathrow T2/T3, they're not super well signposted. Basically though, when you're stood looking at the Heathrow Express ticket machines and ticket window, the normal National Rail ones are right behind you. After you come down the passageway from the T3-Central Bus station connector, they're on the left as you turn into the ticketing area.
Thanks. I値l try next month when I知 back. So when I come out arrivals I then walk outside to the lifts outside at the end then I go down to the moving walkways to underground. You池e saying before I even go outside the ticket machines are there?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:41 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Thanks. I値l try next month when I知 back. So when I come out arrivals I then walk outside to the lifts outside at the end then I go down to the moving walkways to underground. You池e saying before I even go outside the ticket machines are there?
Not quite. If you're coming from T2, you head to the Heathrow Express as normal (down into the tunnels, along the travelator, past the Tube station, along another Travelator, then off the the right across all the people coming out of T3. You then enter Heathrow Central station, where the HEX ticket machines and office are straight ahead, on the right hand side. The National Rail ticket collection machines are on your left.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
Not quite. If you're coming from T2, you head to the Heathrow Express as normal (down into the tunnels, along the travelator, past the Tube station, along another Travelator, then off the the right across all the people coming out of T3. You then enter Heathrow Central station, where the HEX ticket machines and office are straight ahead, on the right hand side. The National Rail ticket collection machines are on your left.
Ah okay. I will be coming from T3 (AA) so I値l just continue past the underground on the travelator to the HEX station and look for the national rail office.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.