Reload this Page >

ePassport Gates Master Thread [was: Opening up the e-Gates to new countries]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stut
ePassport gates, new countries, passport requirements, experience and wait times. Any volunteers?
Print Wikipost

ePassport Gates Master Thread [was: Opening up the e-Gates to new countries]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 9:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And I can confirm that at LHR it is working today, at least on my NZ passport. All the machines were working and no more delays for me (or for anyone else) had I used my UK or French passports.

There were plenty of signs up, and extra staff steering people away from the main Non EEA queue area.

Silver Fox and MCIUnitedGuy like this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; May 20, 2019 at 9:50 am Reason: Add photo
Old May 20, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by braiden9
I'm an Australian with a residence permit in the UK, I have had registered traveler for 2.5 years. I've heard rumors we now can't use the e-gates as I will be registered onto a tourist visa. I am guessing this is not true?
Where have you heard this?

I have wondered this - my wife is Canadian with Indefinite Leave to remain. I would assume that people with status would have this taken into account when using the egate but who knows with the Home Office.

You would have thought the guidance would refer to this in more details...
Old May 20, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
T2 today at approximately 2pm, the immigration hall was probably the emptiest I have ever seen it. Normally when I turn up at that time the normal channels are very busy, but both the e-gates and the normal channels were clear. On my United flight from SFO they gave instructions as to who/who wasn't eligible and also apologised that they had not loaded landing cards for those that needed to go through a human. So, if this is the new norm, I am seriously impressed with it. And as someone said you do not have to bother with the fingerprints and other nonsense questions that GE asks for.

Well done Heathrow. For now.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And I can confirm that at LHR it is working today, at least on my NZ passport. All the machines were working and no more delays for me (or for anyone else) had I used my UK or French passports.

There were plenty of signs up, and extra staff steering people away from the main Non EEA queue area.
@corporate-wage-slave, what terminal was that please - being you are a BA man
Old May 20, 2019, 3:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
@corporate-wage-slave, what terminal was that please - being you are a BA man
Terminal 5 is the one I saw for myself, but I spoke to a Border Force officer and she said all LHR terminals were go by lunchtime today.

Landing Cards are definitely gone, they were returned to passengers over the desk.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It applies to all UK airports that have e-gates.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
It applies to all UK airports that have e-gates.
And rail stations? At least that what my Registered Traveler membership said.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:03 pm

The irony is that it is now easier for an American citizen without Global Entry to enter the UK than it is to enter the US.

American citizens now all have the equivalent of Global Entry to enter the UK.

Actually, it's easier than Global Entry - the Global Entry kiosks require you to answer some questions, the epassport gates do not.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Landing Cards are definitely gone, they were returned to passengers over the desk.
That will make the tree-huggers happy. Was the UK the last country in Europe to require paper cards?

I wonder how many countries are left in the world that require paper entry cards? Do the general machines in the US still spit out paper copies?
Old May 21, 2019, 2:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stimpy
That will make the tree-huggers happy. Was the UK the last country in Europe to require paper cards?

I wonder how many countries are left in the world that require paper entry cards? Do the general machines in the US still spit out paper copies?
APC kiosks and GE kiosks in the US use single-use paper receipts. Unless I'm using Mobile Passport Control (MPC) to enter the US, I'm submitting a single-use paper form/receipt of sort each and every time as a returning US citizen.

For EU/Schengen countries, it has been the UK, France and Spain which were the last of the bunch to have me submit single-use paper forms at times.

Am I still allowed to use Fast Track passport control at LHR when I am using a US passport by myself? Or will the line-minders and the airlines (FT pass givers) now use this as an excuse to reject US passport holders from proceeding via Fast Track at LHR for passport control purposes? I hope not, but airlines going cheap is par for the course.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
For EU/Schengen countries, it has been the UK, France and Spain which were the last of the bunch to have me submit single-use paper forms at times.
France and Spain? France hasn't had landing cards for over a decade now. And I've been flying into Spain for over 20 years and I don't ever recall landing cards. But it is possible I've forgotten. I think it has just been the UK all these years.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Markie
I fear this is going to be a disaster with huge queues at the gates as a whole new group of people try to work out how they function.
It will probably be at times, as this kind of move has a tendency to increase the extreme variance in wait times for entry and/or exit control purposes.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Related press article. Of course there are people who are against the elimination of landing cards.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8918116.html
Old May 21, 2019, 2:45 am
Suspended

Can't say I am surprised that a labor union for the border control employees would be opposed to the elimination of single-use forms filled out and submitted by passengers. But they still have the opportunity to ask questions of people who can't use the e-gates; and they also have opportunity to question even people who try to use the e-gates.

France and Spain? France hasn't had landing cards for over a decade now. And I've been flying into Spain for over 20 years and I don't ever recall landing cards. But it is possible I've forgotten. I think it has just been the UK all these years.
France and Spain, but France was the more weird one of mostly not even looking at them or passports at times but collecting them at times anyway. It's been at least several years since I've given a completed landing form on arrival into France (from the US), but it's been more recently than 11 years ago, and more recent for France than for Spain. And it's been more recent than 11 years for Spain too, but Spain had them way less often than France even before or after that. It's just been the UK -- of the EU/Schengen countries -- within the past 7 years for me.

See post 10 and 11 at least:

Schengen Landing/Arrival/Immigration Card

Last edited by GUWonder; May 21, 2019 at 2:56 am
Old May 21, 2019, 8:10 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat

I might be mis-remembering, but I thought Ireland also does. It was a hellish experience a couple of weeks ago with needing to clear in both UK and Ireland as an American.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.