Wiki Posts
Search

Effect of Brexit on UK Air travel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Effect of Brexit on UK Air travel

Note - This is not meant to discuss the pro/cons of Brexit nor to discuss hypothetical situations. I think it would be useful to have a thread which passed on facts as they come out.

Useful analysis here

If the UK leaves the ECAA, British airlines will no longer be regulated by the EASA and instead the CAA would take on the role of regulator for UK airlines.

This would have a dramatic impact on the workload of the CAA and its budgetary requirements, particularly in the short run as the void left by EASA regulations would need to be filled with new UK legislation. Therefore, a substantial increase in CAA staff numbers and resources would be needed to meet the demands of its new role.

However, there is no guarantee that international aviation regulators would accept the CAA’s regulatory standards, especially if they chose to diverge from the current EASA regulations. This creates a risk that UK airlines will be cut off from flying to some countries altogether.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Given that you are about to receive a letter from the Government advising you on stockpiling food and medicine this is likely to be the least of your worries :-)
ballogie likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That sounds like Y2K almost two decades late.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That sounds like Y2K almost two decades late.
Yes the Y2K was a huge problem, which was resolved before it became a problem by thousands of people working to fix it.
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45083650

There is legitimate concern that there are going to be consequences.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Worcester
Note - This is not meant to discuss the pro/cons of Brexit nor to discuss hypothetical situations.
But I fear this is exactly what you are inviting

The form of our exit, even the timing of our (final) exit is not defined. The extent to which existing cooperative arrangements with European institutions will continue seems only now to be surfacing publicly as an issue - although it is something that has caused alarm in some quarters since day one.

The responses to current concerns vary between a rekindling of project fear and the "they" have got more to lose than we have approach to muddling through.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
There is legitimate concern that there are going to be consequences.
All actions have consequences, so that's no surprise. In this case, it also seems that no actions (ie HMG's lack of action in preparations) could also have consequences!

That aside, as I understand it, there are two distinct areas where work needs to be done to ensure smooth flow. First, regulatory - currently airlines and aircraft are certified as safe to fly by a Europe-wide regulatory body. Assuming that the UK is kicked out of this body on B-Day (so to speak), then the CAA will have to take on its role with immediate effect.

Second, airlines need permission to fly between countries, and this also is currently handled by the EU (I'm not sure if it is in all cases, or just intra-EU and where the EU has specific treaties eg with the USA). Leaving the EU, the UK will need to renegotiate these rights to fly, as will all other countries whose airlines wish to fly to the UK.

The question then remains as to whether either, or both, of these areas will present problems in practice, and then we stray into the political field. IMHO, it should not be impossible to achieve the necessary work in the time remaining if there's a will to do so, but it takes all parties to play ball, and that's a big ask for the EU and could well be a big ask for some third party countries who wish to extract concessions (eg the Republic of Freedonia might demand LHR slots plus a larger embassy in London if BA, the only airline that flies there, were to be permitted to continue to do so - and then it would be up to HMG to determine whether, yet again, they will give in to blackmail).
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Second, airlines need permission to fly between countries, and this also is currently handled by the EU (I'm not sure if it is in all cases, or just intra-EU and where the EU has specific treaties eg with the USA).
The latter. Even where there are still bilaterals between an individual Member State and a third country, it will have been amended to allow for all EU airlines to benefit from the agreement rather than the individual state's own airlines. Therefore, even those bilaterals will need to be modified.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Second, airlines need permission to fly between countries, and this also is currently handled by the EU (I'm not sure if it is in all cases, or just intra-EU and where the EU has specific treaties eg with the USA). Leaving the EU, the UK will need to renegotiate these rights to fly, as will all other countries whose airlines wish to fly to the UK.
Landing rights have been negotiated in various ways. You can differentiate between landing rights within the EU, landing rights that are negotiated by the EU on behalf of all of its member states, and, lastly, bilateral agreements between individual member states and third countries.

There are however other areas, where there's presumably going to be issues, notably wrt customs, traveling with pets, visa policy, ETIAS requirements, air passenger rights, etc. Organising the post-Brexit relations and internal rules will be a monumental task.

All will depend on what kind of relationship the UK and the EU can agree on, which is why I don't think that this thread is currently warranted. We simply don't know what day 1 of Brexit will look like or if there's even going to be a B-day.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux

All will depend on what kind of relationship the UK and the EU can agree on, which is why I don't think that this thread is currently warranted. We simply don't know what day 1 of Brexit will look like or if there's even going to be a B-day.
I really did not want to create a thread for speculation, but more for facts. I have to book travel for trade events for next spring and I am concerned that there will be problems come March and April. As with a number of questions I have about Duty on imports post-Brexit attempts to actually ask government departments leads nowhere.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:32 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I really did not want to create a thread for speculation, but more for facts. I have to book travel for trade events for next spring and I am concerned that there will be problems come March and April. As with a number of questions I have about Duty on imports post-Brexit attempts to actually ask government departments leads nowhere.
On that score, it’s pretty factual that you won’t have any issues due to the already agreed transition period. That isn’t going to change.

Duty on Imports, and associated exports, is extremely complicated and may well involve far more export licences than the UK requires now. There are many multi-day seminars, run by lawyers, that explore all the possible scenarios and the actions required for each of them.

Anything we say here about life after the transition period will be highly speculative and that’s not what you’re looking for, it seems.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
And you were hoping the wise and wonderful people on here know the answer?

The answer is nobody knows if/when/until it happens. Speculation on any point is just idle time wasting. I would book and ensure you get a policy for "Brexit Failure" or what ever term will cover what ever disasters that start to unfold.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
On that score, it’s pretty factual that you won’t have any issues due to the already agreed transition period.
Right now there is no transition period. It's conditional on there being a final agreement which, according to the UK Govt, is looking unlikely.

Unless something else happens life as we know it in the UK (and to some extent) the EU stops on 29 March 2019. Thus the stockpile food and essential medicine advice (assuming your medicine isn't perishable). Personally, if you have dependents in the UK and they can't cope for extended periods without you I wouldn't plan to be out of the UK on March 29th 2019 unless and until the final deal and transition etc are signed off (or the whole thing abandoned as a stupid idea).
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
On that score, it’s pretty factual that you won’t have any issues due to the already agreed transition period. That isn’t going to change.
I'm not certain that that is the case. Mrs. May has repeatedly said that nothing's agreed until everything's agreed. Unfortunately, there has been little to no progress in the past couple of months. You could even argue that we have backtracked on a number of points. The lack of detail is quite simply frustrating, but I don't expect this to change before October. We may even need to wait until early January to get some degree of certitude on what Brexit will look like.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by WorldLux
I'm not certain that that is the case. Mrs. May has repeatedly said that nothing's agreed until everything's agreed. Unfortunately, there has been little to no progress in the past couple of months. You could even argue that we have backtracked on a number of points. The lack of detail is quite simply frustrating, but I don't expect this to change before October. We may even need to wait until early January to get some degree of certitude on what Brexit will look like.
Fixed that. And I give you:

:
Kiara, lhrsfo, farci and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.