Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Has BA or HAL banned low-end restaurants from LHR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

So, I was reading this article about how HKG wants more of it's restaurants to become 24hrs, to encourage more airlines to offer flights in the early hours. Currently only two of it's restaurants are 24/7, one being McDonald's.

This got me thinking, I have never seen a McDonald's in T5 or Heathrow for that matter. Nor a burger King, KFC or Subway for that matter. Yet every other major airport in the world has one, two or more of them. Most medium and even small airports in Europe have one of them. I remember being stuck in Lisbon T2 for 6 hours a few months after it opened during a French air traffic control strike, there was one small duty free shop and a McDonald's, which was the only positive thing on a rather suicidal evening.

So is there some kind of backstory to this? I mean Starbucks also serves liquid trash but they charge a very high price giving the illusion that you are paying for a quality product?
Old May 30, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
MAN used to have all sorts of fast food restaurants and then Burger King had a fire iirc. Did this tighten up standards in all UK airports?
Old May 30, 2018, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
MAN used to have all sorts of fast food restaurants and then Burger King had a fire iirc. Did this tighten up standards in all UK airports?
Actually now you mention it, the Mcdonald's that used to be in Gatwick South is gone. Nothing in GLA or EDI too. I think NCL still has it's burger king last time I checked.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Yes let's keep our airports free from this type of garbage.
Calum likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Given the revenue HAL requires tenants to pay them in terms of rent and % of turnover (not profit) very few retailers and food outkets can afford to be in LHR.

and yes there is a ban on a lot of types of cooking equipment so no deep fat fryers for example (and I think open gas flames too) also limits who can practically trade there too.

so no flame grilled whopper for you!

Old May 30, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Greggs got "failed to negotiate a move" at GLA

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...greggs-1053918

I am sure there was a McDonalds iat LHR T1 at some time prior to T5 opening
Old May 30, 2018, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Greggs got "failed to negotiate a move" at GLA

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...greggs-1053918

I am sure there was a McDonalds iat LHR T1 at some time prior to T5 opening
Seems a bit outrageous that GLA can host a Kirspy Kreme but not a Gregs, I guess that article is 8 years old now but still.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
The reason is probably more down to the rents being so extortionate that the low margins of McDonald's are not compatible. As a different data point: The number of McDonald's in central London has also come down.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
It was at T1 back in 1997 that there was a fire in a Burger King.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.i...371.html%3famp

And for the record, there is s Greggs at both NCL and MAN (T1) both of which are landside.
Calum likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
and yes there is a ban on a lot of types of cooking equipment so no deep fat fryers for example (and I think open gas flames too) also limits who can practically trade there too.
Seems odd, when did these rules come in? I remember seeing people walking around LGW South with Mcdonalds french fries which I think are deep fried? I think that was as recent as 2009/10

I'm not an expert on McDonalds by any means but I just find it weird that all the airport ones have disappeared in the UK but are thriving outside the UK.

Last edited by Calum; May 30, 2018 at 11:51 pm
Old May 31, 2018, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

so no flame grilled whopper for you!

Can't imagine a ban on open gas flames would work in many countries. That would mean no stir-frying for a start!
Old May 31, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I suspect that it is a combination of LHR being expensive for tenants and LHR being split across 4 terminals, which reduces the number of potential customers (unless you open 4 stores). There is a Burger King at Stansted. There are several other fast food chains at STN (Itsu, Leon, Costa, Starbucks, Wetherspoon, Giraffe, Coast to Coast, etc.)
Old May 31, 2018, 7:39 am

The powers that be have calibrated Heathrow to be a high end high cost experience only. I'm more surprised by the absence of fast food outlets in Gatwick, Stansted and Luton. The target market at these airports must be huge.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: Baec Bronze
There use to be a kfc and Mcdonalds Lgw landside and a Mcdonalds Landside in the North term in Baa days
Old May 31, 2018, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by NeedstoFly
The powers that be have calibrated Heathrow to be a high end high cost experience only. I'm more surprised by the absence of fast food outlets in Gatwick, Stansted and Luton. The target market at these airports must be huge.
After a brief hiatus, Burger King will be reopening at Luton landside soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.