Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

London Airports transfer FAQ: London Heathrow (LHR)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Airports transfer FAQ: London Heathrow (LHR)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the Elizabeth line fully running through London, trying to understand it a bit. Seems the trains only run every 30 minutes to/from T5, which really isn't an acceptable frequency, but they run every 15m from T2/3 (seems they alternate coming from T5 and T4). Is there another option/shuttle to get to T2/3 from T5 to catch the "other" Elizabeth line train (from T4) heading toward London? E.g., if I just miss the train from T5 and don't want to wait another 29 minutes, what are my options? Just HEX to Paddington, then maybe transfer to Elizabeth line? HEX to T2/3 then transfer to the Elizabeth Line train from T4? Anyone have an idea of how the scheduling works as to which might be better?
(Ultimate destination is Liverpool St. FWIW.)
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:38 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
So 6 crossrails trains head to LHR every hour. All stop at the central station (for T2/3). 4 of them go on to T4, the other 2 go to T5.

In addition there are 4 HEX trains every hour which all stop at the same platforms at the central station, and all 4 go on to T5.

In your case just get the first of HEX or crossrail at T5. If it is a HEX then get off at the central station and wait for the next crossrail coming from T5 or T4 towards central London. If you go any further on HEX than that you will have to pay HEX prices which are a lot more.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There isn’t a lot of capacity to run more Lizzietrains because of platform and tunnel capacity needing to be reserved for the fast HEX trains.

The tunnels and platforms were built by HAL and Lizzie has to take whatever capacity HAL gives her (and she has to pay for it). So if you think the Lizzie schedule is “unacceptable ” then take it up with HAL.

In the original plans Lizzie was never going to go to T5 at all just to T 2/3 and 4.

The earliest this will change will be 2028 because that’s when HALs concession ends, It was supposed to be this year but it was extended by 5 years in late 21/early 22.

When the HEX ends then there will be more scope to run more, but slower, Lizzie trains.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
In your case just get the first of HEX or crossrail at T5.
Thank you. Do you know the average wait times between these? I guess it could be lumpy as HEX is every 15m and Crossrail is every 30m.
I also wouldn’t want to take HEX to T2/3 and then have to wait another 14-15 minutes for the next crossrail, at that point I’d just stay on HEX and transfer to the EL at Paddington, which isn’t that terrible of a transfer.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 11:50 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Currently there are only 4 Crossrail trains per hour. There will be 6 at some point.

On Mondays to Fridays, Crossrail departs T5 at 01 and 31 past the hour. HEx departs T5 at 12, 27, 42 and 57, arriving T3 at 16, 31, 46 and 01.

Crossrail (which came from T4) departs T3 at 22 and 52 so you have a 6 minute wait, on the same platform. (If you arrive at the T5 station before 27/57 you should just wait another 4 minutes for the Crossrail from T5.)

On Saturdays and Sundays, Crossrail departs T5 at 22 and 52 past the hour. HEx departs T5 at 12, 27, 42 and 57, arriving T3 at 16, 31, 46 and 01. Crossrail (which came from T4) departs T3 at 13 and 43 meaning you have a 12 minute interchange time, so it may be more worth it to pay for the HEx if you missed the T5 Crossrail.

However it is worth checking a live train times site such as https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/ to see if your next train(s) are on schedule. The detailed mode is more useful if you learn how to use it.
ijgordon, goodeats21 and KARFA like this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very helpful! Now, who wants to put that into a graphic?

I guess the key message is that, at least from T5, M-F the schedules are reasonably coordinated that you can transfer from HEX to Liz line without much time loss if you miss the Liz departure from T5, but on weekends it’s at least a +12m transfer delay, plus the time differential to Paddington, less ~5m for the transfer at Paddington back to Liz.

With the JFK19 promo I can get a return HEX for <£25 (plus tube fare to final destination) which is marginally more than just the Liz line direct. I guess if I time the direct Liz line well I can take that and refund the HEX, otherwise will just do HEX.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
How much does a regular taxi (black cab from the taxi stand) cost LHR to Mayfair area?
Trying to figure out if that is the easiest route adn not too much more for two people
Old Jan 26, 2023, 9:26 am

It depends on how long the journey is since they use the meter, but I'd say in the region of £60-£80. Uber/Bolt will be approx. £20 less in my experience.
aj411 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
It depends on how long the journey is since they use the meter, but I'd say in the region of £60-£80. Uber/Bolt will be approx. £20 less in my experience.
isnt there a rather long walk out to Uber pickup location?
We can definitely walk with the luggage we will have (wheels and stackable) but wondering if it is a bit far.

It has been forever since I did more than connect through LHR. Thanks for the input
Old Jan 29, 2023, 5:45 am

Length is obviously a relative thing, but this is what Uber's website is saying:

Uber users at LHR who request rides will be instructed to meet you at the Short Term Car Park located next to their terminal.

After parking your car, meet your rider on foot at these locations:
  • Terminal 2 - Level 4, Row H (Short Stay Car Park 2)
  • Terminal 3 - Level 3, Row A (Short Stay Car Park 3)
  • Terminal 4 - Level 1, Private Hire Pickup
  • Terminal 5 - Level 1, Row R (Short Stay Car Park 5)
For more information, read more about Heathrow Airport.

https://www.uber.com/gb/en/drive/lon...w%C2%A0Airport.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
It's definitely not a long walk to be collected by Uber. I prefer Wheely, however, as they will meet you in the arrivals hall with a sign and will help with your luggage.
Old May 17, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
My parents are elderly and can not walk quickly any longer. They are going to London for a week in early June. They are not candidates to take a train into center city London and then take a taxi to their hotel. Any recommendations for what they can do conveniently and most reasonably to go to their hotel (Sheraton Park Lane) from LHR after arrival?
Old May 18, 2023, 2:06 am

Black cab. Easiest to find, easiest to get in & out of.
SS255, ExpatExp and :D! like this.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
looking at an itinerary with ~5 hrs to get from LHR to LCY on a Sunday afternoon in May; not thrilled by the taxi rates, so would appreciate recommendations for how to do this with minimal schlepping between train stations
Old Nov 18, 2023, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Elizabeth Line to Custom House then either a bus to LCY or DLR to Canning Town then to LCY.

even if you need to change trains it’s usually done on the same platform or across the platform to the other line,

and all step free
stifle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.