Wiki Posts
Search

Dublin, where to stay

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2023, 10:09 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Thank you - we never been to Ireland.

Looking at Google maps, St Stephen's Green in Dublin is about 10-minutes walk from the Radisson Blu Royal. St Patrick's Cathedral is even closer. We have plenty of Radisson points (340K) and currently they are asking for 110K points per room per night including breakfast. The airport Radisson Blu is asking for 80K points for the same - we would need 2 rooms for comfort, privacy, etc.

The only challenge, I'd imagine, is getting into town late at night from the airport and return the next day plus the associated costs.

Whaddaya think?
Aircoach is every 30 mins until 1:25am, costs € 26 return (total, not per person - add € 4 for a flexible booking) and gets you to Kildare Street. Walk or cab it from there.

ETA closest to the Radisson Blu Royal is the #16 bus, but that's a lot slower than the Aircoach.
farci and Kalboz like this.

Last edited by tom tulpe; Jul 11, 2023 at 10:18 am
Old Jul 11, 2023, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Thank you - we never been to Ireland.

Looking at Google maps, St Stephen's Green in Dublin is about 10-minutes walk from the Radisson Blu Royal. St Patrick's Cathedral is even closer. We have plenty of Radisson points (340K) and currently they are asking for 110K points per room per night including breakfast. The airport Radisson Blu is asking for 80K points for the same - we would need 2 rooms for comfort, privacy, etc.

The only challenge, I'd imagine, is getting into town late at night from the airport and return the next day plus the associated costs.

Whaddaya think?
Thats a good central location, close to lots of the city centre sights and museums. But ultimately it comes down to whether you and your fellow travellers will have the energy and/or desire to get up early and do some sightseeing after a late arrival the night before.

if there are 4 of you I’d be inclined to get a taxi, will likely be c€40 (perhaps a little more on the night rate!).
Kalboz likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 1:20 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Thats a good central location, close to lots of the city centre sights and museums. But ultimately it comes down to whether you and your fellow travellers will have the energy and/or desire to get up early and do some sightseeing after a late arrival the night before.

if there are 4 of you I’d be inclined to get a taxi, will likely be c€40 (perhaps a little more on the night rate!).
Indeed, the kids are exhausted with 3 weeks in Turkey, and 3 weeks in Italy during the heatwave. So we got two rooms at the airport's RB with breakfast on points. The rate went up another 10K points but it's all good, we have enough to cover. Will update you all afterwards on this property. Thanks again
Old Oct 4, 2023, 9:19 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Update:
The Radisson Blu property is your run of the mill airport hotel and for a one night stay it was adequate. Some notes on this one night stay: arrived after midnight and scrambling on how to contact the hotel, I used my cell phone and was picked up by the hotel shuttle. 2 rooms were okay but the bathroom fixtures were unnecessarily complicated. Our room was facing the back and the kids room was in the opposite direction. Awoken before 7AM by a guy on his mower gizmo doing the hotel's backyard. Soon afterward the trash haulers and the delivery trucks - so basically not a good sleep. Complained and told they were sorry and offered points, I declined. Breakfast buffet was decent and the best thing this hotel had to offer. Eggs prepared to order were served upon request. Overall okay for a one-night points stay.

Back of the hotel: a dude on his mower, trash bins, and delivery trucks - too much noise for 7AM
Old Jan 13, 2024, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by dhammer53
They want 193 euros for a weeknight in May.
No point availability!
is right

for mid May this year, the IHG “winter sale” rates are €267 for a standard double and €313 for a city view double … and there’s also no reward night availability

however, I won’t complain too much about a Conrad points redemption (4 nights at standard rate; 5th night free)
Old Feb 4, 2024, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Clontarf Castle Hotel. You won't regret it.
ChevyCruze likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 4:25 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond VIP, Marriott-Platinum, Priority Club-Platinum, Delta-Gold
In Dublin mid-June for a couple nights. Rates are redonkulous! $400 - $700 is not uncommon. I know that Pink is in town at the Aviva Stadium - Is this the reason for the high hotel rates? Any suggestions for lower priced alternatives?
Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2024, 6:24 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Pcolaboy
In Dublin mid-June for a couple nights. Rates are redonkulous! $400 - $700 is not uncommon. I know that Pink is in town at the Aviva Stadium - Is this the reason for the high hotel rates? Any suggestions for lower priced alternatives?
Thanks!
I'd look at a site like http://booking.com which will bring up hotels and rooms for rent. I checked for 6/13 to 15, and you're spot on about rates--an Aloft for $1175 per night!--but cheaper yet acceptable options came up as well. You're going to need to check the reviews, which are certainly difficult to trust, but you may not have much of an alternative.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 12:51 am

Thanks!
The Pink concerts will indeed drive prices up, but post-Covid very high prices in Dublin are the new normal 12 months of the year. Local media had a bed in a hostel for €250 per night the weekend just past (St Patrick’s Day).

the only alternative would be to stay outside Dublin in a town with good transport links.
stifle likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
We are attending a conference next month there. Our conference rate was almost 250. II figured, heck, I can beat that easy at another hotel. I was wrong.
That being said, the Clayton Hotel chain seems to have good rates for decent lodging.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Clontarf Castle Hotel. You won't regret it.
Clontarf Castle was our last stay before flying home. Definitely a little off the bean path in a residential suburb but still retains its historic charm with modern amenities. My kids loved sitting by the fireplace and in the pink room. Also thankful that the room did have a 110v outlet on the desk underneath the tv and didn’t have to dig out my converter after a long week of traveling. The rain head shower was relaxing. And the sitting area was well stocked (in one of the cabinets) with a dozen or so of bottled waters.

Exterior entrance at night

Bar sitting area

Gym in the basement. Both machine and free weights
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks!
The URC final is the day after Pink is in town. With Leinster top of the table, there's a good chance that will be in Dublin. Think it's also Gaelic football season. And it's peak tourist season in a very expensive city, with relatively little accommodation (I read recently that Glasgow - which probably receives far fewer tourists - has more hotel rooms than Dublin).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.