Search

LHR ownership changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&S Elite+
LHR ownership changes

From the Telegraph today:
The former owner of Thames Water is weighing the purchase of a multi-billion pound stake in Heathrow Airport in a move that could trigger a fierce tussle for control of Britain’s pre-eminent travel hub.

Australian investment house Macquarie is assembling the firepower to buy out several of Heathrow’s existing backers who are scrambling for an exit.

The potential change of ownership has been triggered by the decision of Spanish construction outfit Ferrovial to offload its shares in Heathrow after 17 years as its largest investor. Under the terms of a complex agreement, Ferrovial’s planned departure provides an opportunity for other shareholders to make their escape too.

With as much as 60pc of Heathrow’s shares likely to change hands, some of the world’s wealthiest investment houses, including Macquarie, are circling the airport.

Ferrovial has agreed to sell its 25pc stake to Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund and Ardian, one of Europe’s biggest private equity houses, in a £2.4bn deal that values Heathrow at just shy of £10bn.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...throw-airport/

This is behind the JavaScript paywall. According to the article, Macquarie the Sydney based investment bank could bid for the entire 60% stake that could become available.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 2:04 am

If HAL becomes just half as bad as Thames Water we're doomed.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I simply don't understand why anyone would want to buy HAL when there are so many more profitable opportunities available. Expansion looks all but impossible but the carrot of it will use up huge resources just fighting pretty well everyone. Which leaves operations. HAL's fees are absurdly high and it does appear that the regulator is beginning to realise this. HAL benefits effectively from monopoly pricing, with no adequate new airport infrastructure likely to be permitted at any time in the foreseeable future. Monopoly pricing can be immensely attractive but only while the competition authorities are asleep.

In short, I can see little upside in HAL's business but huge political risks to the downside.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Wonder if BA could just buy T5 and run their own shop? They did used to own JFK T7
Old Mar 24, 2024, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I simply don't understand why anyone would want to buy HAL when there are so many more profitable opportunities available. Expansion looks all but impossible but the carrot of it will use up huge resources just fighting pretty well everyone. Which leaves operations. HAL's fees are absurdly high and it does appear that the regulator is beginning to realise this. HAL benefits effectively from monopoly pricing, with no adequate new airport infrastructure likely to be permitted at any time in the foreseeable future. Monopoly pricing can be immensely attractive but only while the competition authorities are asleep.

In short, I can see little upside in HAL's business but huge political risks to the downside.
They paid an inordinate amounts of dividends over the years and it's a very captive market. No matter how bad HAL is (and they are, believe me they are) what are the airlines going to do, relocate do Gatwick and lose a fat % of yield there and then? Nah. LHR might not expand ever, but in the words of Robert Boyle, it's still a nice hedge fund with an airport attached to it.
nancypants and Arctic Troll like this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by salut0
Wonder if BA could just buy T5 and run their own shop? They did used to own JFK T7
BA leased T7 from the Port Authority but they did not ever own it.

Even the PA don't own JFK they have it on a long operating lease fron the Ciry of New York.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:47 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Sales of this sort seldom end in a better experience for consumers as the purchasers seeks to recover their investment.
Swanhunter, :D! and Silver Fox like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 2:25 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by Markie
Sales of this sort seldom end in a better experience for consumers as the purchasers seeks to recover their investment.
No no no no no! The private sector is best placed to run critical infrastructure, and it's always been thus.

I could talk to you about this IRL, but unfortunately my train's been cancelled - I guess it's pure luck that the sewer in my street never gets fixed, or I wouldn't be able to get out of the house at all, what with all the digging up of roads.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 2:34 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
No no no no no! The private sector is best placed to run critical infrastructure, and it's always been thus.

I could talk to you about this IRL, but unfortunately my train's been cancelled - I guess it's pure luck that the sewer in my street never gets fixed, or I wouldn't be able to get out of the house at all, what with all the digging up of roads.
It is privately owned now, and a great success (Not!)
I am not suggesting taking it back to public ownership.
(In the UK most road works are produced by private companies!)
:D! likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:11 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by Markie
It is privately owned now, and a great success (Not!)
I am not suggesting taking it back to public ownership.
(In the UK most road works are produced by private companies!)
Trains are privately owned.
The water companies are privatley owned.
That was the joke.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 5:57 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
The actual trains are privately owned, but 25% of services are operated by the government, and 73% are operated on behalf of the government.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by :D!
The actual trains are privately owned, but 25% of services are operated by the government, and 73% are operated on behalf of the government.
Indeed. Scotrail is now in public hands again. And the water company in Scotland is owned by the government.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 6:57 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
No good things have ever happened to a company owned by Macquarie. They're known as the vampire kangaroo for a reason.
Markie and Silver Fox like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.