Wiki Posts
Search

London Traffic

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by cardsqc
Hmm, those road closings make it look like I'm going to want to take the tube from my hotel to the train station on the morning of the 29th. I'd been wavering before, because I wasn't necessarily looking forward to luggage on the tube myself.

Thanks for posting that road closure info.
If you are organised enough to pack the day before you could use - at a cost - the Airportr service who will collect your bags from your hotel / house / office the day before (up to as late as 9pm) and you then collect them the next day at LHR to check them in. If your departure is late enough I think they can also do early morning pick up too.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
Not concerned about "cheap" but about convenience (lucky me) with my wife and my 10 year old niece (aka two check in pieces of luggage) I'm not looking forward of taking the tube and making changes.

I am using the Virgin Chauffeur service so hopefully they can accommodate me somehow .... just called Upper Class and they said they will let me know 3 -4 days before the event what the new procedure is. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Re the Tube journey (i.e. taking it all the way via the District and Piccadilly lines)...

At Blackfriars there are lifts from street level to platform level.

Changing between the District and Piccadilly lines is exceptionally easy at either Barons Court or Hammersmith - get off a train on one side of the island platform, and get the next train on the other side of the same island platform (this is Barons Court, this is Hammersmith).

At Heathrow there are lifts up from the platforms.

The trick when travelling with luggage on the Tube is to position yourself on the platform in order to get on at either the front or back of the train, where overall the carriages are less busy than being in the middle.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
detailed road closure maps here page 8

looks like your hotel isn't one of the roads to be closed but could be disruption from other traffic trying to avoid the event plus closures further in West London.
Correct - Farringdon Road, New Bridge St and Blackfriars Bridge (the main north south road) are not closed as part of the RideLondon event, however I think there will be lots of displaced traffic especially that wishing to head east-west (or v.v.), and than includes a Blackfriars to Heathrow journey (i.e. heading westwards).

Of course people have different tolerances to sitting in slowly (or barely) moving traffic... mine isn't particularly high!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Hi,

Not having any plans for the last day I was planning to have the car pick me up at noon (coinciding with checkout - the Virgin Upper Class desk suggested a slightly later pick up) and with 60 minutes travel I would be at the airport 3:15h before the flight ... back then enough buffer for problems but not too much to get bored in the UC Lounge
Lets see what Virgin comes back with a few days before the flight .... (at least I know that I can find the info here if needed).

Last edited by blitzen; Jun 27, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Originally Posted by blitzen
Not concerned about "cheap" but about convenience (lucky me) with my wife and my 10 year old niece (aka two check in pieces of luggage) I'm not looking forward of taking the tube and making changes.
I am using the Virgin Chauffeur service so hopefully they can accommodate me somehow .... just called Upper Class and they said they will let me know 3 -4 days before the event what the new procedure is. Keeping my fingers crossed.

it's the most convenient too. lifts and one cross platform change. Everytime I get a taxi to Heathrow I'm more stressed due to the traffic. Also the airportr service is great. they'll take your luggage separately for £20 or so.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Even living in West London I find being driven to LHR is far too stressful. I always take the Tube - it's only slightly slower than the best car journey and far more reliable.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I take the tube unless I'm running late, which is most of the time.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:05 am

Do not trust London traffic during an event! We've spent a good hour and a half just getting out of the city proper. Then traffic on the Motorway was slow too.
We had a some kind of race impeding us. Might have even been this as it was either very late July or very early August.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.