Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use Apple Pay on the Tube

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Use Apple Pay on the Tube

Over in the Chase Credit card forum one of the users has stated that Apple Pay utilizing a US-issued Visa card will not work on the London Tube (but US-issued MCs will work). That was my intention for my upcoming trip.....anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
see the TFL website
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Thanks, Uktravelbear. I had already looked at the TFL site, and while it does talk about non-UK contactless cards, I just assumed that Apple Pay was a different interface.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You should be OK then as you say it is the watch that does the interface rather than the actual card i.e. the oyster reader checks the interface with the watch not the card.

The apple pay section of the TFL website simply says 'supported payment card' which I take to mean as long as your card is OK with apple pay then that's all that matters as far was the readers go.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think the bigger problem is that the readers don't react as fast to Apple Pay devices as they do to the Oyster cards for which they were designed for. My AP attempts regularly fail, and at anywhere near rush hour that make you an extremely unpopular person with London commuters.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
This thread discusses some of the issues:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...ay-tube-5.html
Old Sep 24, 2016, 7:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I use Apple Pay on my watch and have no problems. It is a UK-issued Amex though, so not sure if that makes a difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.