Using Apple Pay on the Tube

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Apple Pay on the Tube

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Free travel on all TfL services for the next four Mondays (last one is Dec 14) if you pay with MasterCard using Apple Pay - capped at £27.90 per day.

http://www.mastercard.co.uk/applepay...ee-monday.html
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Bloke on my journey into work used what I thought was Apple Pay and an Amex Centurion which was impressive.When I spoke to him though he was using an Oyster card in the phone case but had a picture of a Centurion card to appear flash. He did have Apple Pay but didn't use it because he had a travelcard.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Just saw a guy use Apple Pay on the readers at Gatwick airport station. He might have problems though because he got on the Brighton train ..
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Hi,

bring this back from the dead ....

Are there any new findings which US issues Credit Cards work and won't work?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Most every card should work now.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by stifle
Most every card should work now.
Good to know
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
As of November 2016, I was not able to get any of my Visa cards (Citi and Chase) to work on the Tube w/ ApplePay.

Had no trouble using USAA MC or Citi MC.

Unless something has changed in the last couple of months, my experience over many trips to London since TfL went contactless has been that only US MC's will work w/ ApplePay on the Tube.

In contrast to the Tube, I was able to use my Visa cards w/ ApplePay at retails stores in the UK that accept contactless.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by stanj
As of November 2016, I was not able to get any of my Visa cards (Citi and Chase) to work on the Tube w/ ApplePay.

Had no trouble using USAA MC or Citi MC.

Unless something has changed in the last couple of months, my experience over many trips to London since TfL went contactless has been that only US MC's will work w/ ApplePay on the Tube.

In contrast to the Tube, I was able to use my Visa cards w/ ApplePay at retails stores in the UK that accept contactless.
Adding in my own anecdote, as of December 2016, attempted to use Apple Pay with my Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa and it did not work. Ended up paying for an Oyster card.

Going again to London with citi Prestige Mastercard loaded onto Apple Pay this week. Will report back if it works...
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by rawr
Adding in my own anecdote, as of December 2016, attempted to use Apple Pay with my Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa and it did not work. Ended up paying for an Oyster card.

Going again to London with citi Prestige Mastercard loaded onto Apple Pay this week. Will report back if it works...
Thanks! Looking forward to your report
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:05 am

Any new reports on this? I'll be in London starting this weekend, and would like to know which kind of US card I need to have in my Apple Pay to use on the tube... I have MC, Visa, and AMEX all without foreign transaction fees, so it doesn't matter to me which I use. I just want to make sure I know which one to use by default instead of having to go by trial and error...
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I had issues before but no more. Not only does my apple pay work with my US based Citi card, it's yet to hit my citi account after using it extensively over Christmas last year.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by crashvt2003
Any new reports on this? I'll be in London starting this weekend, and would like to know which kind of US card I need to have in my Apple Pay to use on the tube... I have MC, Visa, and AMEX all without foreign transaction fees, so it doesn't matter to me which I use. I just want to make sure I know which one to use by default instead of having to go by trial and error...
I think the current situation is you're fine with US MC's and Visa's(assuming you've added the visa within the last year). Visa's don't show activity on the TFL site.

I've also heard amex apple pay does not work, but a physical amex w/contactless does.

Paging @tmiw.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:17 am

It sounds like as long as I have a US MC and a Visa on my apple pay, I should be able to use one or the other. I'll report back with what worked when I return.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by IslesFan
I think the current situation is you're fine with US MC's and Visa's(assuming you've added the visa within the last year). Visa's don't show activity on the TFL site.

I've also heard amex apple pay does not work, but a physical amex w/contactless does.

Paging @tmiw.
A physical Amex has worked perfectly for years now.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by IslesFan

Paging @tmiw.
None of that has changed as far as I know. US issued AmEx cards in mobile wallets will likely only start working once AmEx decides to start provisioning them with EMV mode support.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.