Reload this Page >

Edinburgh and Dublin 2 days each?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Edinburgh and Dublin 2 days each?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:52 am

A week in London and No time in Dublin, is a waste of a week.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by telabadmanwot
A week in London and No time in Dublin, is a waste of a week.
How would you divvy up the time? If you had 8 or 9 days.....and the list of places we want to see are Lake District, London, Edinburgh and Dublin - if it makes the cut....
Old Oct 16, 2016, 5:04 pm

Two days in Dublin is an excellent amount of time to spend there. In Dublin, there are various bus tours you can take to view historical places and learn more about Dublin.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by gkrnjlr
How would you divvy up the time? If you had 8 or 9 days.....and the list of places we want to see are Lake District, London, Edinburgh and Dublin - if it makes the cut....
9 Days in Dublin? Hahahaha

Seriously though, you will have a much better time in Ireland if you choose to ignore your countrymens advice about what to do in Dublin

How much do you want to spend on your trip?

Are you doing the 10hr drive from central london to lake district to edinburgh.

I wouldnt do it that way.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

We're still making plans but as of today we're now talking about taking Dublin out of the entire trip. We will fly to LHR and spend a few days there. We're either going to take the overnight train to Edinburgh or the day train to Carlisle. I think we're leaning towards the overnight train to Edinburgh.

From Edinburgh we'd make our way to the Lake District and for a few days before flying back home.....possibly from MAN.

Our plans have been changing, but still incorporating the same places (possibly without Dublin).
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
I will be able to give you some info the end of Nov.
We're going to EDI for 6 days to visit our Grandaughter. She said there would be plenty to do, but I know she's spending one day with my wife and her sister Wedding dress shopping. She's there until Dec. and they've traveled a lot with EDI as their home base including Lochness.
They took the train to London? I asked about renting a car and she said don't bother it's not needed.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
I will be able to give you some info the end of Nov.
We're going to EDI for 6 days to visit our Grandaughter. She said there would be plenty to do, but I know she's spending one day with my wife and her sister Wedding dress shopping. She's there until Dec. and they've traveled a lot with EDI as their home base including Lochness.
They took the train to London? I asked about renting a car and she said don't bother it's not needed.
Thank you! I hope you have a great trip!
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:37 pm

I am working on a trip similar to yours. We are going in Sept of next year so I have lots of time to plan. The working plan now is 5 nights in London, day train to Edinburgh for 3 nights, on to Ireland where we are traveling Northern Ireland for 5 nights and then 2 in Dublin. It is a lot of work, there is so much to see and do, its kind of overwhelming.
I will be watching this thread with interest!
Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:17 pm

Edinburgh is a much better city than Dublin in my opinion. In my opinion, people put too much emphasis on Dublin in Ireland visits almost as a rule because of how you may put an emphasis on Rome, Paris, London, Amsterdam, Barcelona and so forth visiting those countries but Dublin isn't those cities, sorry to say.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW
I love Scotland, I also love the Rabbies day tours. Take the high speed train from London to Edinburgh and stay 3 or 4 nights there. The hop on hop off buses are a nice way to get a snap shot of the city and history but the Rabbies tours are a great way to see the outlying areas. Here are their day tours from Edinburgh. https://www.rabbies.com/en/tour-scot...from-edinburgh I have taken the Highlands tour and the Stirling Castle tour. I have also taken the 3 day Isle of Skye tour which was wonderful.
I had a great experience with Rabbies on a 4 day/3 night Islay whisky tour. It was fabulous - 6 distilleries on Islay (Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Kilchoman, Bruichladdich, Bowmore) and a stop at Oban for a tasting after lunch on the way to Islay.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA, BA, AF, Marriott, Radisson, Priority Club (Gold), HHonors
Both Ryanair & Aer Lingus have free carry on luggage - with very strict size and weight restrictions so no giant rollaboard cases unlike the US and charge for checked luggage - prices vary by weight. If you stick to their rules, travel will be easy.
We do sound like we have similar plans - just opposite itinerary.

With flights on RyanAir I have heard that the weight of our luggage will be the catch. I've not looking into RyanAir yet, but if we have carry-on luggage is that also subject to weight restrictions? That's a deal for a flight! Wow! I was finding Aer Lingus from EDI to DUB for about $98. That is reasonable, too...I thought.

These boards are so helpful! If you learn more will you please share it here, too?

Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I am going to vote yes for a side trip to Stonehenge -- conditionally.

1. Stay in the Salisbury Cathedral Close - Sarum College. See here. The rooms are inside the walls surrounding the Cathedral and the folks are amazingly nice (e.g., kept the kitchen open to make breakfast after a morning trip to Stonehenge). Very neat experience!

2. Stonehenge - Book a Stone Circle Access visit and get close to the rocks (before or after normal visiting hours). Any other visit, based on seeing where the ropes are set up to keep folks at a distance, probably sux (seriously - the barriers keep visitors far away from the rocks) -- however, being able to walk through Stonehenge, and get up close and personal with the rocks was fantastic.

3. Visit and walk through/around nearby Avebury. More fun rocks to see. Lots more.

Practical tip: Landed at LHR, rented a car, and drove straight to Salisbury. A lot easier than LHR>London> Stonehenge (passing LHR)>back to London. I'm sure a local can provide better details on this. Maybe LHR>London>Salisbury>next destination(?) rather than traveling back and forth.

Also, I am heading to DUB for 2 nights this weekend, I'll try to remember and come back and post re is 2 days enough/too much time/etc. (or PM me)

Cheers
Old Nov 10, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Virgin Flying Club Red, Swiss M&M Blue
Unless it is top of your must do list. I would recommend giving stonehenge a miss. So many people are disappointed and it eats a lot of time that could be better spent. There are a few other threads debating the subject in this forum
Old Nov 10, 2016, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dobba
Unless it is top of your must do list. I would recommend giving stonehenge a miss. So many people are disappointed and it eats a lot of time that could be better spent. There are a few other threads debating the subject in this forum
I've had others tell me the same about Stonehenge.

What about a day tour from London to Oxford, Stratford, Cotswolds and Warwick Castle?

Worth it or skip that and spend more time in London?
Old Nov 10, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
What about a day tour from London to Oxford, Stratford, Cotswolds and Warwick Castle?
Change that AND to an OR, and it's quite a good idea. Each of those is interesting, in different ways, and can be done as a nice day trip from London

While you might physically be able to get to all 4 in a single day, you won't have any time to visit all of them, so don't try doing all together!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.