Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Flying into Ireland and leaving the next day and coming back the day after, issues?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying into Ireland and leaving the next day and coming back the day after, issues?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OMNI Platinum

I have a question, will I run into issues with Irish Immigration if I exit Ireland only to return the day after? I know you have to get an exit stamp being a non-eu citizen (?) I wish to go to Paris for a one day trip and fly back to Ireland the next day. Since I already exited right after arriving, will I be able to come back without a visa, being a US citizen?

Thanks

Last edited by ewrfox; Aug 26, 2016 at 9:13 pm Reason: meant exit stamp*
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:54 pm

What is an exit visa? And what kind of visa are you talking about for your return trip to Iceland? This is a very confusing post.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
What is an exit visa? And what kind of visa are you talking about for your return trip to Iceland? This is a very confusing post.
Since I'm a US Citizen and I arrived visa free and exited Ireland will I be able to come back again visa free 2 days later?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:59 am

What makes you think that you wouldn't be able to come back? There should be no issues whatsoever. People criss-cross between countries all the time in Europe.

And AFAIK there won't be an exit stamp (not that it makes any difference)
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:00 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Why would you not be allowed back in? You're entering the Schengen zone by travelling to Paris and leaving it by arriving back in Ireland.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:19 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
As we have a dedicated UK & Ireland forum, I'll move this thread over there.

Please continue to follow this discussion in the UK & Ireland forum, so.

stut
Europe Forum
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:27 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
You will be fine. Once you are in the EU (first arrival) you can go freely around.

Although you are entering the "Schengen zone" by going to Paris you leave it again when you return to Ireland (UK and Ireland are not in the Schengen zone but have a "Common Travel Area"). You will have your passport checked but will have no problem.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 6:24 am
Original Poster

My confusion came about after reading this thread.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...of-ireland.cfm

Thanks for the replies. Glad to know I won't have issues.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:01 am

I think you can rely on the official sites rather than those thread comments! See:
https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...y/ireland.html
where they say:
"You must have a valid passport to enter Ireland, but U.S. citizens can enter visa free for tourism or business stays of up to three months."
Your first stay ends when you leave, your second commences when you return.

After all, you never know what someone on the internet is going to tell you!!
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:03 am

The thread you were looking at was about someone who seemed to be planning to stay in Ireland long-term by just leaving once every few months to reset the clock. Totally different scenario! Your plan, if I understand you correctly, is to arrive on Day 1, leave on Day 2 and come back again on Day 3 - which is no problem whatsoever
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I've never gotten an exit stamp out of Ireland.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by bchandler02
I've never gotten an exit stamp out of Ireland.
... and if you leave overland via N Ireland there is nowhere to get one either as there are only border controls into Ireland as you land at the airport!
Old Aug 28, 2016, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by ewrfox
My confusion came about after reading this thread.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...of-ireland.cfm

Thanks for the replies. Glad to know I won't have issues.
Just read the comments in that forum. Whoever "flanneruk" and "janisj" may be, there are complete morons.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLouis
What is an exit visa?
A small number of countries require their own citizens to obtain permission to leave the country (beyond possessing a passport). Analogously to how one sometimes requires a permit to enter another country in the form of a visa, a document permitting a citizen to leave his own state is called an exit visa.

Such controls were very popular in Soviet countries, but have fallen into disuse in more recent decades.

Ireland has never applied such a document.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Update: I was originally given a 90 day visa stamp on arrival. The next day I flew out and returned the day after. When I returned the immigration officer asked for my return flight ticket and stamped me a visa vaild until the return date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.