Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Can I exchange Scottish Banknotes for English in London? Should I?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I exchange Scottish Banknotes for English in London? Should I?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Most foreigners are not even aware of the fact that Scottish banks are allowed to print their own notes so I doubt they're to be excepted with a pile of forged Scottish notes in England.
Yup. I just used the first ATM I saw at Glasgow Central.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Self-service checkouts in supermarkets will happily take Scottish notes (and give back English ones in change).

Most stores in London won't have a problem with Scottish notes anyway, though they are not obliged to accept them as previously mentioned.

Most banks will not want anything to do with you if you are not a customer, and it's unlikely you will be able to exchange Scottish for English notes.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 4:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I use Scottish notes in London a bunch, and yet I can't recall the last time it's caused me any problems when I've tried to use them there.

If I really wanted to exchange them for English pounds, I'd just have the hotel swap them for me.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by stifle
...Most banks will not want anything to do with you if you are not a customer, and it's unlikely you will be able to exchange Scottish for English notes.
I may have just been lucky in my choice of banks, but I have never had a problem exchanging them at whatever bank I walked into in London. I have never been asked if I had an account there; from my U.S. accent, it would be unlikely. Granted, this is entirely anecdotal, is based on a small sample size, and my last visit to Scotland was in late 2014* so things may have changed since.

Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
On our trip to London last May we took a couple of Scottish notes we had left over from our 2007 trip. I used them in two different places, asking first ("Do you mind taking a Scottish note?") Both places accepted them happily.

Unless you're trying to spend a large stack of them in one place, I doubt you will have many issues. The odd place may refuse them, but ask first so as not to impose.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by PhotoJim
but ask first so as not to impose.
Absolutely not!!! Hand over your note with confidence, and stand your ground if they get arsey! These English have to learn!
Old Mar 6, 2016, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Had no trouble at all. And indeed the Oyster card machine at Heathrow took them, contrary to some things I read on the Internet.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by lkar
Had no trouble at all. And indeed the Oyster card machine at Heathrow took them, contrary to some things I read on the Internet.
Indeed they will because a machine has no prejudice. So long as it is a sterling note fully backed by a cash deposit at the central bank (Bank of England) - which all Scottish notes are - then there is no risk to the merchant.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
Thats because the machines at Heathrow have 'recently' been upgraded to a new note accepting unit (they now also dispense notes), these new units accept Scottish notes whereas the old units still don't. They still wont accept £50 notes though, London Underground ticket offices used to be one of the best places to get rid of £50 notes until they closed!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by JFX1764
Thats because the machines at Heathrow have 'recently' been upgraded to a new note accepting unit (they now also dispense notes), these new units accept Scottish notes whereas the old units still don't. They still wont accept £50 notes though, London Underground ticket offices used to be one of the best places to get rid of £50 notes until they closed!
But do they take Scottish £100 notes?
Old Mar 19, 2016, 3:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by stut
... call it "Goodwin's Law"...
I see what you did there!
Old Mar 19, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I work in Edinburgh and live in Portsmouth so I often have only Scottish notes in my purse. I very rarely have any problem using them, only one shop has ever outright refused to take them, which was frustrating as I had no BoE notes on me.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Do Scottish notes circulate in London? More specifically, is it common to get one back in change or at an ATM/cashpoint?
Old Apr 10, 2016, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by diburning
Do Scottish notes circulate in London? More specifically, is it common to get one back in change or at an ATM/cashpoint?
You won't get one from an ATM. You may get one in change, particularly if someone would rather just get rid of it, but that's still relatively unlikely.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 3:07 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by diburning
Once someone apologised for not having any fivers and tried to give me 8 pound coins in change, although I saw a Scottish fiver in the till (which I eventually convinced him to give me)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.