UK PM to get his own RAF transport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK PM to get his own RAF transport?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:04 am
Suspended

I think it's fairly to safe to say this is one decision Jeremy Corbyn won't need to be consulted on.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by alhenderson
The surge jets are leased to the likes of Thomas Cook (well, one is, don't think the rest have been delivered yet), so I can't see those ones being used. For one, they're painted in the charter company colours (David Cameron turning up in a Thomas Cook jet??). I'd have thought it unlikely that there's a stipulation in the contract that says the plane could be taken back at short notice if the PM needs to go and see his buddy in Washington.

There's a civil registered A330 used for the Falklands air bridge and other trooping flights which is painted in RAF colours, so I guess that could be the one in question. Although something would then need to fill in for that when it's away for days at a time at a summit - oh look, we're leasing someone else's planes again :-)
My point wasn't that the surge aircraft would be used for this VIP transport, it was more than this won't necessarily leave the RAF "short of a tanker" since there's provision for extra capacity as needed. I'd assume that one of the RAF's 9 "full time" tankers will be configured on the main deck for VIP use, which retains its ability to function in the aerial refuelling role between VIP missions. Then, if use of the aircraft for a VIP mission leaves a hole in the fleet big enough to warrant a backfill then a "surge" aircraft could be put into use to fill the gap–not put into use as a VIP transport, but put into use in whatever role the RAF needs operationally that may have been caused by having one of the "full time" aircraft unavailable due to VIP use.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Microwave
My point wasn't that the surge aircraft would be used for this VIP transport, it was more than this won't necessarily leave the RAF "short of a tanker" since there's provision for extra capacity as needed. I'd assume that one of the RAF's 9 "full time" tankers will be configured on the main deck for VIP use, which retains its ability to function in the aerial refuelling role between VIP missions. Then, if use of the aircraft for a VIP mission leaves a hole in the fleet big enough to warrant a backfill then a "surge" aircraft could be put into use to fill the gap–not put into use as a VIP transport, but put into use in whatever role the RAF needs operationally that may have been caused by having one of the "full time" aircraft unavailable due to VIP use.
I guess that depends on the contracts under which the surge a/c are leased out. I'd have thought we'd only need cover for a matter of days, in which case getting one of the surge a/c back from the likes of TCX sounds difficult when they are presumably utilising them fairly heavily. Mind you, the same occurred to me about getting them back in times of war, no idea how all that's supposed to work.

Al.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alhenderson
I guess that depends on the contracts under which the surge a/c are leased out. I'd have thought we'd only need cover for a matter of days, in which case getting one of the surge a/c back from the likes of TCX sounds difficult when they are presumably utilising them fairly heavily. Mind you, the same occurred to me about getting them back in times of war, no idea how all that's supposed to work.

Al.
It depends how serious the war is but presumably the government could simply requisition British-registered aircraft over the owners' objections as it did in previous wars.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: AMEX PP;BAEC Bronze;Tesco CC Preferred;
Long overdue in my opinion, although it's fair to say that until the Voyager was in service there was no other aircraft on the RAF inventory that was suitable for this dual role - their Tristars were notoriously unreliable and the VC10 tankers very costly to run and right at the end of their life.

Of course we are simply going back to the status quo ante as until 1975 the RAF always provided the Royal Family and government (and very senior military officers) with long-range VIP aircraft. The last in line were the five beautiful Comet 4Cs of No 216 Squadron which had a variety of roles, and the transport version of the RAF VC10's of No 10 Squadron which had a removable VIP fit.

I travelled on these several times as a staff officer, and it was a great way to fly. The layout can be seen here: http://www.dh-aircraft.co.uk/news/fi...5485b3-98.html The pics are a very accurate computer image of the real thing save that the upholstery in the dining / lounge area was a rather vivid turquoise.

It will be interesting to see how the £10M conversion cost will be spent. Of course there will be extra secure communications, and maybe some more defence aids, but I would be surprised if the fit didn't go beyond a few lie-flat beds for the flunkies and some comfortable seating for the hacks that invariably are invited to travel along in the back. Fixed beds certainly are an option, as fitted to the Comets and VC10s, and in Air Force One.

As for the projected savings, these will be - and remain - deliberately opaque, such is the opportunity to fudge them and so disarm the critics.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RAF transport command colours look great

I like that the "first class seats" would now be regarded as a very poor business class product

Also, single beds for the PM? Very 1970s British.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:23 am

Rather goes against Dave's oft spoken mantra that "the open market is best". Shouldn't he have used market forces to get a cheaper deal than the RAF could provide?

If the public sector was the best option it makes you wonder about other government decisions where profitable public sector companies were privatised.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanR
Rather goes against Dave's oft spoken mantra that "the open market is best". Shouldn't he have used market forces to get a cheaper deal than the RAF could provide?

If the public sector was the best option it makes you wonder about other government decisions where profitable public sector companies were privatised.
Because the RAF obtained the planes from a PFI deal on the "open market"
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by onaswan
Yup, the BAe 126 fleet (Queen's Flight???) is available to Royal Family, senior military bods and Government officials. I presume that includes PM.

Diferent tack, I remember a Hercules C-130 being fitted out with a 'cabin' inside to take Maggie down the the Falklands.
The Americans have put an airstream motorhome/caravan in the cargohold of a C17 (I think) for transporting VIPs in the past. I think they now have dedicated pallet based units they can easily load.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Nov 19, 2015 at 4:22 pm
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
The Americans have put an airstream motorbike in the cargohold of a C17 (I think) for transporting VIPs in the past. I think they now have dedicated pallet based units they can easily load.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: BAEC
Think it is very good news, as an aircraft representing The UK on foreign soil needs to look good and have been very disappointed by The Queen using much smaller blank private jets on her tours of late.

Will be interesting to see how she and the rest of the family will get to Malta next week - my bet is on one of the G-GAT* aircraft.....
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
I was thinking more of this which is much more VIP.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...071703161.html
http://pogoblog.typepad.com/pogo/200...my-ride--.html

Last edited by Jimmie76; Nov 19, 2015 at 5:39 pm
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
5-across on a military transport... that IS luxury!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Charlie Whiskey
As for the projected savings, these will be - and remain - deliberately opaque, such is the opportunity to fudge them and so disarm the critics.
I think so too!

I'm all for the PM having a shiny plane to swan around in if it really does work out cheaper than other options, but I rather suspect some 'man maths' has been in use here.

And an A330. Really? How many flunkies is he travelling with? Great for longhaul jaunts, but hardly the best choice for nipping up to EDI or CDG.

I know he can't be expected to fly commercial all the time, but I would expect him to do so on occasion. The rest can be a mixture of a smaller plane for Europe and the number of charters could reduce.

Also "It's less than we were spending on charters" isn't the same as "it's the best value for money for the taxpayer".
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mad_rich
I think so too!

I'm all for the PM having a shiny plane to swan around in if it really does work out cheaper than other options, but I rather suspect some 'man maths' has been in use here.

And an A330. Really? How many flunkies is he travelling with? Great for longhaul jaunts, but hardly the best choice for nipping up to EDI or CDG.

I know he can't be expected to fly commercial all the time, but I would expect him to do so on occasion. The rest can be a mixture of a smaller plane for Europe and the number of charters could reduce.

Also "It's less than we were spending on charters" isn't the same as "it's the best value for money for the taxpayer".
He use BA or the Queen's flight (if she isn't using it) for short hops.

For some reason he doesn't fly commercial for business. The problem is that (for instance as was noted in the article) obtaining a jet with range to go to Riyadh at short notice can be quite expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.