Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Civil Aviation Authority revokes W2's operating certificate over safety concerns

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Civil Aviation Authority revokes W2's operating certificate over safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

W2 (Linksair) formerly held a Type B operating certificate and operated PSO services on CWL-VLY [Cardiff-Anglesey]. It also experimented unsuccessfully with CWL-IOM, CWL-BHD and CWL-DSA in past years.

However without explanation beyond "safety concerns" the CAA revoked the certificate a couple of weeks ago—apparently without prior notice. M3 is now operating the CWL-VLY route under the W2 code.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-34591868

The CAA doesn't give any information on its website but W2 no longer appears on the Type B licensees list. http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?pageid=9068

I have not heard of the CAA being this drastic before. I wonder what W2 did wrong

On a separate note I cannot continue without passing a comment on the vacuous response to this made by Andrew Davies AM:

Originally Posted by Andrew Davies AM
Given the CAA's decision around safety approval for LinksAir, communities will rightly ask questions and Labour ministers must provide swift assurances.
What a lot of words to say exactly nothing. Fortunately safety in civil aviation is not within the remit of the Welsh Assembly.

Last edited by Calchas; Oct 30, 2015 at 9:35 pm
Old Oct 31, 2015, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Calchas
What a lot of words to say exactly nothing. Fortunately safety in civil aviation is not within the remit of the Welsh Assembly.
But is the provision of transport to remote and island communities within competence? Without seeing the quote in context, I can't tell what it refers to, but if it refers to concerns about the loss of a vital airlink, then is it not perfectly valid?
Old Oct 31, 2015, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
But is the provision of transport to remote and island communities within competence? Without seeing the quote in context, I can't tell what it refers to, but if it refers to concerns about the loss of a vital airlink, then is it not perfectly valid?
the quote concerns the efficacy of Labour's spending and the suggestion they aren't transparent enough

It makes no sense at all because it isn't within their ability to judge the safety of an airline
Old Oct 31, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Calchas
the quote concerns the efficacy of Labour's spending and the suggestion they aren't transparent enough

It makes no sense at all because it isn't within their ability to judge the safety of an airline

Indeed. The WAG offered a contract out to tender for the operation of a service to fly from A to B (and back). As part of that there will be contract clauses relating to maintaining CAA approval to operate but the WAG would rely on the CAA to ensure the operator is safe.

Using the registration of a person or organization with an independent regulator is pretty standard contractual stuff.

For example I employed nurses in the GP practice I managed and it was in their contract that they had to maintain their Nursing & Midwifery Council registration.

That is the point of having independent regulators - so you don't have to do the checks yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.