Wiki Posts
Search

Scotland scenery road trip from and to the Midlands

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tev9999
Some questions:
1. Is it worth the side trip to St. Andrews to maybe snap a picture and buy a souvenir for my golf bag?
2. Is it worth a detour to Aberdeen? Looks like the hotels are pretty well sold so I am guessing there is something going on that week.
3. What is the most scenic route through Cairngorms National Park?
4. Any recommendations on cheap but clean lodging along the way? I am trying to use IHG and Hilton points, but the redemption rates don't make sense against the current price, plus there are no properties for a couple nights. I don't care about fancy rooms, but walking distance to a pub or two would be nice.
5. I'm on the fence with Glasgow. Not a big fan of large cities. Any alternative locations that would leave me within an hour or so of Edinburgh to get the car back on Saturday morning?

Thanks for any advice.
1) St Andrews in my book is the most overrated town in Scotland. I just don't understand why it's so popular.
2) Not worth a detour unless you like to see roses.
3) Jenbel is spot on.
4) We use B&B's when staying away from the towns and cities although they can be quite expensive for those travelling alone. HIX's can be found along with Premier Inns nearer places like Inverness and are good value. Most offer free parking which is a bonus. For example we stayed a night at one of the Premier Inns near Inverness last year for £25 and it was fantastic.Best Westerns are overpriced crap and to be avoided. They cater mostly for old folks bus tours.
5) The Glasgow Hilton Garden Inn is very well positioned if you have a car. However if you have no desire to see Glasgow it's not a good idea to route that way. You can head to Edinburgh via Stirling from Balloch on Loch Lomond instead.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
I am happy you jumped in

There is some great Hilton value at the moment in Scotland. Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh is £55 per night plus 20K points. HGI and Hilton Glasgow are both £33 per night plus 12K points. Hilton Dunkeld and Doubletree Edinburgh are both in the UK 7 day flash sale (about 5 days remaining) Maybe Dunblane Hydro if you want to avoid Glasgow.
Where are you seeing those prices? I don't see anything close on the Hilton website. It also looks like the flash sale is weekends only and I'll be in London for both Saturday - Monday stays on my trip (Radisson Blu Hampshire and Mercer St. - Thanks US Bank!)

I really don't want to pre-pay the Scotland hotels since I want to be flexible for weather. I never like to prepay unless I know 100% I will be there. I am planning on getting a SIM for my phone so I will have data to search along the way. Are there any preferred apps/sites that would be good for last minute deals in Scotland? I usually compare hotwire, hotel tonight, kayak, etc. I do realize that I may not have data service everywhere in the highlands. Was planning on going with Vodefone as research tells me they have the best coverage in the north.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:41 pm
Ambassador: LATAM
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Jenbel

YMMV, but BW in random locations in the UK can be quite scary.
Judging Trip Advisor reviews I am expecting a 6sqm room with a single bed, a broken shower and a view of the ferries

Where are you seeing those prices? I don't see anything close on the Hilton website.
HGI Glasgow on Hilton.com is what I said is was for the Friday that you will be passing
Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by HIDDY
2) Not worth a detour unless you like to see roses.
I think that's probably the best description I've heard that encapsulates driving around Aberdeen

(Although in spring its daffodils! For those that don't know, the ring road around Aberdeen goes through the suburbs and has a LOT of roundabouts with roses on it.... ).

I always thought the hotel in Hot Fuzz would qualify easily as a BW.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:56 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Give me a wave when you go through Perth!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Laundry???

A logistical add on question here. I travel carry on only, so will need to do laundry at some point in my 10 day visit. Since I am moving every night through Scotland, even same day hotel service won't work for me - and I really don't like the high prices anyway. None of the Holiday Inn websites mention self-service laundry. Is that common in the UK like it is here? I'm also not a fan of sink washing.

Any recommendations on laundromats in the highlands, maybe with a pub next door to get some lunch while my clothes are drying? The few I find don't seem to be open late, so a lunchtime stop might be appropriate.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:51 am

A logistical add on question here. I travel carry on only, so will need to do laundry at some point in my 10 day visit. Since I am moving every night through Scotland, even same day hotel service won't work for me - and I really don't like the high prices anyway. None of the Holiday Inn websites mention self-service laundry. Is that common in the UK like it is here? I'm also not a fan of sink washing.

Any recommendations on laundromats in the highlands, maybe with a pub next door to get some lunch while my clothes are drying? The few I find don't seem to be open late, so a lunchtime stop might be appropriate.
I'd forget it. The weather in Scotland even in summer allows you to wear clothes for several days without them becoming smelly. Smaller items can be sink washed in the evening....drying them may take some time though.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

I don't believe HIDDY. I've only been in Glasgow for 2 hours and I smell like a wet dog.

Actually a wet dog that had a balti last night
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I don't believe HIDDY. I've only been in Glasgow for 2 hours and I smell like a wet dog.

Actually a wet dog that had a balti last night
That's the weather. Everybody gets soaked and smells like that!
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Awesome route today thanks for the suggestions. Here's a photo and I cannot wait to get the proper ones back from the chemist

Old Oct 11, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond

The best bet: staying in university student dorm housing. I've stayed in several of these types of accommodations during the summer--obviously not an option when schools are in session--and I've found laundry facilities in each of them. This was true this past August at the University of St. Andrews and at a place called Smart at iQ in Edinburgh. During the rest of my travels, which were fairly extensive during a six-week trip this summer, I found dry cleaners/laundrettes that would do drop off/same-day pickup laundry at a price much cheaper than through hotels. Some of these places, however, needed me to leave my laundry overnight so YMMV on whether they could accommodate your leaving your laundry before lunch and picking it up after lunch.

On the other hand, although I did a six-week trip, I just packed enough to make it through ten days (five polo shirts, one dress shirt, three pairs of pants, three sweaters, and an extra pair of shoes in addition to the clothing I wore the day of travel--all in a 21-inch carryon). You generally won't find temperatures too high (although at the beginning of my trip in July, it got close to 85 on several occasions), and it is possible to rotate clothing. Even if you're sink averse, you might find that two pairs of exOfficio type underwear could last you for a ten-day trip, leaving you to carry five pairs of socks to wear twice during the trip. This worked for me as I did or dropped off laundry only four times during my trip.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nobbyclark
Give me a wave when you go through Perth!
Can you be stood at the side of the road at about 4pm please?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:58 am

Awesome route today thanks for the suggestions. Here's a photo and I cannot wait to get the proper ones back from the chemist

Glad you enjoyed it - Loch Fyne?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Is this Loch Fyne? It was just before Inveraray, about 5 miles I think. There was a loch Fyne restaurant just next to where I parked up.

Now in Edinburgh, A86 was a really spectacular route too. Loving the Scottish hospitality. Awesomely nice people.

Back to Sheffield by 7pm tomorrow and I have to say it's been well worth it.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:19 pm

Yes, that's the original Loch Fyne restaurant, which the chain is licensed from - and its on the sea loch, Loch Fyne. Thought I recognised the bridge!

Yeah, we are

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.