Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you avoid the APD ?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 8:08 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I'm lucky in that I have friends in Paris, so can generally tie a longer trip into a visit to them, avoiding APD in the process. I have done more complex trips when BD Diamond Club was still alive, but that's because you got the double-whammy of the lower taxes and the Z2-Z8 redemption bargain. Ah, those were the days...

I would agree that DUB is a good transit point when heading to the US, though. You make up so much time by doing pre-clearance, and it's an infinitely more civilised experience than most of the main ports of entry into the US. The downside is that a lot of the equipment used by US carries into DUB is pretty poor (often in domestic config).
Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: QF, GF, VA, AA
Tourists and leisure travelers may find RailSail to Dublin worthwhile. We did this about seven years ago as discussed in this thread and enjoyed the experience very much.

Looks like RailSail is still available and given the increases in APD would probably be even more financially viable for J or F PAX where time is not an issue.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:12 am

Other way round! It's called SailRail, and it's very much still alive, kicking, and very good value.

The website of the Man in Seat 61 is probably the best place to go for an overview of what's on offer.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:56 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I don't think about APD. I simply look for the cheapest flights to get me where I need to be, with tradeoffs for time and comfort. Having just spent 2 months working in North America, I have come to realise that people actually think of the ex-tax price (as that is how prices are displayed), and tend not to base decisions on the total price they have to pay, whereas in Europe I consider all taxes to be paid by the supplier/merchant, who then adjusts the total price based on market conditions (or not, if demand is inelastic)
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: QF, GF, VA, AA
Originally Posted by Mizter T
Other way round! It's called SailRail, and it's very much still alive, kicking, and very good value.

The website of the Man in Seat 61 is probably the best place to go for an overview of what's on offer.
Thanks. I must be a bit dyslexic. Probably got it wrong because I traveled on the train first
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:25 pm

APD

Consider a hypothetical situation of family of 4 going to London and Paris (5 days each) from JFK using FF miles/points on AA (no BA/IB so no YQ)

since award points/miles are same whether one flies which segment, and assuming that Eurostar fare are similar in either direction when booked well in advance, does this mean that for economy class travel, JFK-LHR-(Eurostar)-CGD-JFK be cheaper than JFK-CGD-(Eurostar)-LHR-JFK?

by how much? wouldn't CGD departure have some tax?

Matrix seem to indicate that ex-Paris, French portion of taxes would be something around 75 USD whereas ex-Lon, UK portion of taxes would be slightly over 200 USD. So for family of four flying on award ticket, this can make a difference of 500 USD.

does this make sense or did I make a mistake looking up Matrix?

Last edited by desi; Jun 5, 2014 at 9:49 pm
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by desi
Consider a hypothetical situation of family of 4 going to London and Paris (5 days each) from JFK using FF miles/points on AA (no BA/IB so no YQ)

since award points/miles are same whether one flies which segment, and assuming that Eurostar fare are similar in either direction when booked well in advance, does this mean that for economy class travel, JFK-LHR-(Eurostar)-CGD-JFK be cheaper than JFK-CGD-(Eurostar)-LHR-JFK?

by how much? wouldn't CGD departure have some tax?

Matrix seem to indicate that ex-Paris, French portion of taxes would be something around 75 USD whereas ex-Lon, UK portion of taxes would be slightly over 200 USD. So for family of four flying on award ticket, this can make a difference of 500 USD.

does this make sense or did I make a mistake looking up Matrix?
In doing a dummy booking on aa.com...

JFK-LHR-JFK - mileage plus $209.90 in fees
JFK-LHR / CDG-JFK - mileage plus $92.80
JFK-CDG / LHR-JFK - mileage plus $209.90
JFK-CDG-JFK - mileage plus $92.80

The UK charges higher fees...just the reality. That said, depending on timing, the train ticket to Paris could trump the addtional cost in fees to depart from LHR.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by rwoman
In doing a dummy booking on aa.com...

JFK-LHR-JFK - mileage plus $209.90 in fees
JFK-LHR / CDG-JFK - mileage plus $92.80
JFK-CDG / LHR-JFK - mileage plus $209.90
JFK-CDG-JFK - mileage plus $92.80

The UK charges higher fees...just the reality. That said, depending on timing, the train ticket to Paris could trump the addtional cost in fees to depart from LHR.
Thanks. That's 117 pp So, USD 468 for family of 4.

(As family is going to do both Paris and London, one way eurostar was inevitable)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.