Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Calling all natives! Please review my road-trip plan to the Scottish Highlands.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calling all natives! Please review my road-trip plan to the Scottish Highlands.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by jatink129
You bet! Plan to do Isle of Skye the next time.

When do I have the HIGHEST chance of getting clear skies, no rain and lots of sun?
Spring? Summer?
The day after you leave Scotland, of course.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Or the week before you arrive!

"you should have been here last week.... "

Seriously, if our weather were predictable, we'd have a stronger tourism industry. The fact it isn't keeps it less crowded

But late May - June for me is the best time of year - spring colours, spring flowers, few midges, fewer tourists and often our best weather (but not always, two years ago we had a May in which we had storm force gales in 3 weeks out of 4 )
Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jenbel

"you should have been here last week.... "

Seriously, if our weather were predictable, we'd have a stronger tourism industry. The fact it isn't keeps it less crowded

But late May - June for me is the best time of year - spring colours, spring flowers, few midges, fewer tourists and often our best weather (but not always, two years ago we had a May in which we had storm force gales in 3 weeks out of 4 )
Very true.....especially the "you should have been here last week" comment or in our case this year a week after we departed my sister told us "we've been having a scorcher since you left".

I would always recommend late May/June as well. Apart from the positives of the lack of midges as well as tourists the days are so long the odds are more in your favour of getting some sun.
We encountered a freezing gale in Skye this May but the next day was calm,warm and sunny.....that's Scottish weather for you. To be honest I think the cloud and mist makes for more atmospheric pictures so it can work in your favour as well.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Jenbel

Or the generation before...

As a child I spent summers near Achiltibuie. Memories of those times are completely coloured by blue skies and long warm evenings. Whenever I go back it's dull and rainy: a joy of course, but dull and rainy...

My memory's fine: I blame climate change.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:42 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Memory is interesting. I went for a fortnight when a teenager in western Ireland. My mother and I remember 1.5 days of sunshine in that holiday and it rained the rest of the time (we can even say which days were sunny). My dad? He remembers it as sunny everyday.

Mmmm Achiltibuie smokehouse.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 7:55 am

I always remember days out to Largs as being wet.....and every visit since has also been wet.
Probably the main reason why Nardini's cafe is still in business......there's bugger all else to do when it's raining.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Work in progress.
Well, thank you everyone for your help!
I'll probably be in touch next year...when I plan my Isle of Skye trip!

You've all been phenomenal!

P.S- One last thing... How does one pronounce " Tá mo chroí istigh ionat. "

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.