Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Calling all natives! Please review my road-trip plan to the Scottish Highlands.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calling all natives! Please review my road-trip plan to the Scottish Highlands.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by ballogie
The traffic around ABZ (Dyce) is shocking between 7am to 9.30am and 4pm to 6pm Monday to Friday. Avoid these time periods if you've a flight to catch.

The A96 from Inverness to Aberdeen is a dreadful road - full of HGV's and limited passing opportunities and boring in terms of scenery.

Take the A9 south to Carrbridge, cut across to Grantown on Spey, then take the A939 over the Lecht to Balmoral and then onto Aberdeen via Dinnet, Tarland and the B9119
We're arriving at 8:30am on a Saturday (the 21st) so I'm not especially worried about traffic then (should I be?). By the time we eat and get out of the airport, it'll easily be about 9:30-10:00am.

On the way back, we're actually done by about 4:30pm at the Glennfiddich distillery. The flight is at 8:30pm. So we've given ourselves about 2 hours to get there and about 60 minutes to check in. (The trip itself is about an hour, via Google maps).
Is that good enough?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Guys, if they say the flight to ABZ is booked, I love the way you're all ignoring that and saying 'fly to Glasgow'! Perhaps you might accept as a given for whatever reason they are into ABZ? Given they are flying EMA-ABZ, that's a low-cost so not changeable (Flybe?)
Thank you. ^^
Don't see how people missed that part where I said that part was set. Non-refundable tickets.

It is a low cost flight on Flybe from EMA.

I looked at the map and thought 'Oh they are coming for a week' and then saw three days.

Like most other visitors to the forum, you are being very ambitious in terms of what you can see and do in 3 days. If all you really want to see of Scotland is the view from the windscreen, sure, go ahead and do this. You won't actually have time to do much (like visiting those castles you are driving past) but you'll certainly be able to say you've circumnavigated Scotland.
Well, a friend did something similar and said that it was doable as long as I didn't want to spend more than an hour at any castle.

But obviously, I bow to your expertise.

I was originally planning to cut out C, D and E.
Stirling Castle,
Balloch Castle,
and Loch Lomond (Especially since we're planning to visit Loch Tay and Ness)
BUT, I really want to see Stirling Castle, because it really looks beautiful, and then I figured, that if I'm there, I might as well see Balloch Castle and Loch Lomond...and then I thought, well...we may as well stop for the night there.

How much would I be missing out if I cut out those three from the trip?
Drove directly to Loch tay from Dunnottar castle?

I wouldn't mind terribly. It's not like this is the last time, I'm visiting.
I am in love with your country.

Other thoughts - you'll want to go down the west side of Loch Ness (the A road) not the east side (the B or C road which will take a lot longer to drive for no obvious gain).
That was an error. I meant to put in Uruqhart into Google maps, but mistakenly put Loch Ness in. The routing from the east side was done automatically by Google maps.

But thanks for the tip. We will go that way.

How easy would it be to figure out these routes if our GPS failed us? We're planning to take a map with us any way.

In later September, you can probably wing it with B&Bs to some extent - but do check out your route for any areas where you may be dependent upon just one or two (i.e. pinch points). Also the better ones will book up more quickly. But especially if you are mid-week, taking a chance should be fine.
This is probably where I'll get into trouble, since we're coming there over the weekend.
For example, zooming into Google maps showed me the Kintail Lodge not too far away from Eilean Donan. About 65 pounds for a standard room. Is that a fair price?

If I was alone, I'd just bunk it for 15 pounds, but I don't know how cool she'd be with the idea. Especially since she's going to be doing the driving.

To answer some other questions
No, most of the NW highlands have no light pollution so once you start north from Loch Lomond, the night skies will be open. Does depend on there being no clouds, which is actually the bigger issue. This is Scotland - land of the cloud and rain. The light on the west coast is different from that found anywhere else (except bizarrely East Lothian) so do take the time from relentless driving to actually enjoy that.
I'm going to pray to God for clear skies then.
Really hope it doesn't rain for just those three days.
But He doesn't seem to paying any attention to me oft late, so not too sure if those prayers will work or not.

I also need to figure out how to get her tripod into the bag. It barely fits sideways. Would've been nice if it was an inch or two shorter. (Okay that sounds way dirtier than it did inside my head )

From memory Loch Ness is about 30 miles long, and Loch Tay about 15 miles long, with communities living up and down the side of them. It is difficult to close a very large geographical feature which people live on and work on and live by BTW, in Scotland, we call them lochs, not lakes.
No offence meant.

I see what you mean. But I was thinking about it in terms of how they close down parks here for the night...

Generally yes, but midges are worse at night. That said, they should be dying down by then. If they are a problem buy Avon Skinsosoft. It doesn't stop them landing on you (which means the annoyance factor is still there) but it does stop them biting.
Was actually referring to safety as in getting mugged
But thanks for the tip.

Expect to average 30-40 mph on everything that isn't dual carriageway, and you'll be realistic. It is out of season, so the roads will be quieter, nevertheless, you are generally restricted to the speed of the slowest vehicle you encounter - which is usually a guy in a beat up Peugeot or Micra doing 40.
I could always just do this.

Much as I love Loch Tay, I'd have to question going there. It's not a great road, and while the area is beautiful it might be better to push on and spend more time not driving at one of your other places.
Hmmm. Now this puts me into a conundrum.

Let me put it this way.

I'm willing to change over 90% of this road trip. I'd really like to see Eilean Donan and Dunottar castle.
But everything else is movable/changeable.

Here's what we're looking for.
A nice drive with the windows down.
Playing some Enya.
Catching beautiful sunrises and sunsets (and being able to photograph them)
Visiting some castles. We both love history.

So anything that you'd recommend instead of what we currently have planned?
I appreciate all the help you and everyone else has given me.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m212ny
Wow, that's quite a route!

A couple years ago I drove up to the Isle of Skye from Edinburgh and I found the Scottish Highlands to be absolutely beautiful. While I can't comment on all your questions, I can give the following advice based on my own experience:

1. You'll spend more time than you anticipate i.e. a driving route you expect to take 5 hours can easily turn into 8-10 hours. Driving distances take longer to cover in the Highlands and you'll definitely spend a lot of time frequently stopping here and there to take pictures. There are also many roads with single lanes so be patient and drive carefully especially at night when it gets foggy.
Actually someone did suggest Isle of Skye to us. But upon googling it, that entire area is something more towards hiking.
As much as we love to hike, it's something that we're not planning on doing this trip.

The way I planned it out, we're not going to be driving after dark.
Risky and not worth it.
We want to get to a place in the evening. Catch the sunset, and then stay there for the night.

2. There are lots of rest and pullover areas but I recommend having ample food supply on hand and having an emergency gas canister/container in the trunk that's fully filled (in case you become low on fuel and can't find any gas stations for miles and miles).
Thanks for the suggestion. Would we be able to purchase sealed gas canisters at the gas stations? Or would we need to buy a canister and then fill it up?

3. Expect wet and windy conditions. It won't be pouring the whole day but from experience it will drizzle a little then become clear/sunny again and the same thing repeats a couple times a day.
I visited Edinburgh and Roslin (along with London, Bath, Bristol, Leicester and Oxford) the last time I was there, and I got to experience this phenomenon of sporadic rain, first-hand.
It was very annoying at first, but then I got used to it.

The biggest problem I had was that I wasn't carrying protective gear for my camera.

4. I recommend reserving a B&B ahead of time since September is still considered peak tourist season in Scotland.
What do you think is a fair price for a one night stay?

5. The best food in the Highlands are found in local pubs. Almost all will serve locally sourced produce, meats, seafood, etc. This is especially true the more north you get. If you want something really Scottish, try Haggis (a dish made from sheep organs) with neeps (turnips) and tatties (potatoes).
Ooh I loved Haggis! I tried it in Edinburgh in a nice pub called The World's end. I wasn't too sure if I'd like it, so they recommended I try a "wee bit" and I absolutely LOVED it.

6. For photography, the higher north you get the better the photos!

Enjoy the Highlands!
Any particular locations you remember that I should keep an eye out for?

Thank you all for your help!
Old Jul 1, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA back down to Blue, PC Plat
As others have said, this is a demanding schedule. By and large the roads are by no means the worst and narrowest in the Highlands but as Jenbel says your speed will often be dictated by the car, caravan, lorry or tractor in front of you.

As for Eilean Donan, it's about the setting rather than the building itself, and I wouldn't make that detour on a dull or drizzly day. Spend the time at Urquhart Castle instead - which is the reason to go up the W side of Loch Ness, rather than time, as the E side is usually just as quick and indeed faster if the W side road is full of tourist traffic. (It's also more scenic IMO and you get great views of the loch as you drop down towards Dores. But that's by the by.)

Petrol will not be £1.60 a gallon and you will not find an Asda between Loch Lomond (at least) and Inverness (and you won't find the Inverness Asda unless you look hard for it!)

Pub food will be very variable but is probably what you want!
Old Jul 1, 2013, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by jatink129
Thanks for the suggestion. Would we be able to purchase sealed gas canisters at the gas stations? Or would we need to buy a canister and then fill it up?!
On your route, which is not off the beaten track at all by Highland standards, so long as you don't run your tank too low, there isn't really anything to worry about especially as you will be driving during the day. I wouldn't think it worth carrying spare fuel.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
I believe the last tour is at 4pm at Glenfidditch (pronounced "glenfiddik", right?).
Actually, it's Glenfiddich, without the "t" and the "ch" is a soft sound pronounced in the throat without the clicking sound you get with a "k." Kind of like the Dutch "g" or the "ch" (usually) in German, if you know what they sound like. The same with "loch" and other syllables ending in a vowel followed by "ch."

But the Scots are used to people who don't pronounce it correctly and will know what you mean. You could always tell them it's a voiceless velar fricative and impress them!
Old Jul 2, 2013, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Change of plans based on what you said about wasting time driving.

This is the new (tentative) itinerary.
Let me know what you guys think.

Day 1.
ABZ to Dunnottar to Loch Tay. Stay the night there.

Day 2.
Loch Tay to Eilean Donan to a hotel half way to Loch Ness.

Day 3.
Hotel to Uruqhart to Glenfidditch to ABZ.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NSFU
As others have said, this is a demanding schedule. By and large the roads are by no means the worst and narrowest in the Highlands but as Jenbel says your speed will often be dictated by the car, caravan, lorry or tractor in front of you.
Changed the route to make it a more leisurely drive. Do let me know what you think.

As for Eilean Donan, it's about the setting rather than the building itself, and I wouldn't make that detour on a dull or drizzly day. Spend the time at Urquhart Castle instead - which is the reason to go up the W side of Loch Ness, rather than time, as the E side is usually just as quick and indeed faster if the W side road is full of tourist traffic. (It's also more scenic IMO and you get great views of the loch as you drop down towards Dores. But that's by the by.)
Seeing how we're going to be pre-booking a hotel based on the fact that we are driving there, I think we'll probably end up driving there no matter what. We're a pretty obstinate couple.

Petrol will not be £1.60 a gallon and you will not find an Asda between Loch Lomond (at least) and Inverness (and you won't find the Inverness Asda unless you look hard for it!)
Assuming that we get the car with a full tank, the plan (if we can find pre-filled canisters) is to buy some in Aberdeen.
That should take us all the way around till Aberdeen, shouldn't it?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
Actually, it's Glenfiddich, without the "t" and the "ch" is a soft sound pronounced in the throat without the clicking sound you get with a "k." Kind of like the Dutch "g" or the "ch" (usually) in German, if you know what they sound like. The same with "loch" and other syllables ending in a vowel followed by "ch."

But the Scots are used to people who don't pronounce it correctly and will know what you mean. You could always tell them it's a voiceless velar fricative and impress them!
So more like a russian "X"...Like a soft "xh" sound?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 2:06 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
So more like a russian "X"...Like a soft "xh" sound?
Similar. It's slightly softer, but Scots find it easier to pronounce Khabarovsk than Groningen.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 2:21 am

Assuming that we get the car with a full tank, the plan (if we can find pre-filled canisters) is to buy some in Aberdeen.
That should take us all the way around till Aberdeen, shouldn't it?
Depending on the car and how you drive, a full tank might even take you the whole way, but you will need no more than a fill-up somewhere along the route, perhaps Inverness. You will have no difficulty with this. There is no need at all to carry spare fuel with you. If you insist on doing so, you will have to buy appropriate empty containers and fill them from the pumps at a filling station. Pre-filled containers are not available.

Wishing you the best of weather!!
Old Jul 2, 2013, 2:28 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
There is no way you will need to take extra fuel with you - there are more than enough petrol stations around. If you're worried, I'd suggest looking at a site like http://www.whatgas.com/petrol-prices...st-petrol.html which will show just how many places there are and/or downloading an app that will show you, if you have a smartphone.

FWIW, petrol stations will only allow you to fill either 2x5L plastic or 1x10L metal containers.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Was going to suggest overnight at Bunrannoch House at Kinloch Rannoch, instead of Loch Tay, but it's closed down due to illness Gutted. Was a great B&B in a lovely Baronial style house and the proprieters were great.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NSFU
Depending on the car and how you drive, a full tank might even take you the whole way, but you will need no more than a fill-up somewhere along the route, perhaps Inverness. You will have no difficulty with this. There is no need at all to carry spare fuel with you. If you insist on doing so, you will have to buy appropriate empty containers and fill them from the pumps at a filling station. Pre-filled containers are not available.

Wishing you the best of weather!!
Thank you! Hope the weather is good.
It's a compact. Ford Fiesta or similar.

Originally Posted by stut
There is no way you will need to take extra fuel with you - there are more than enough petrol stations around. If you're worried, I'd suggest looking at a site like http://www.whatgas.com/petrol-prices...st-petrol.html which will show just how many places there are and/or downloading an app that will show you, if you have a smartphone.

FWIW, petrol stations will only allow you to fill either 2x5L plastic or 1x10L metal containers.
Point taken. I think we'll refuel near Inverness and then once again in Aberdeen before dropping the car off.

Thanks for the link!
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Was going to suggest overnight at Bunrannoch House at Kinloch Rannoch, instead of Loch Tay, but it's closed down due to illness Gutted. Was a great B&B in a lovely Baronial style house and the proprieters were great.
Based on the updated itinerary (what do you think of it btw?), we've booked the Ben Lawers near Loch Tay for Day 1 and a Darroch View B & B near Loch Ness for Day 2.

Fair reviews and very convenient locations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.