Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

car or taxi service from Glasgow airport to Edinburgh?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

car or taxi service from Glasgow airport to Edinburgh?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Not going in the huff with you...honestly.

Just correcting your claim that I was giving out wrong information. Booking a official GLA airport taxi online over 5 years ago might well have made the price more competitive with my then local taxi company but that's hardly the point I was making.

Welcome to Flyertalk by the way. ^
Thanks for the welcome Hiddy
Hope I can get a few posts in that might help visitors out and not get into bother with anyone.
The only one I don't wanna upset is the wife, so if she says Airport drivers are ugly and beasden wans are beautiful, I'll agree with her

I wasn't stating you had supplied incorrect information but I was informing the post that really if they looked closer, the informaiton supplied was not all the right information but the price was not double the price of Bearsden and Canniesburn Taxis.

I was really making them aware that if visitors to the post tried online enquiries with Airport taxis they would be cheaper than phoning the official Airport Taxis.
The official taxis by phone calls go through a system then they would allocate a driver to cover the hire But Airport drivers would not cover the Taxi management booking for less than the full price.
There was too many problems between the Airport drivers and the Glasgow Airport Taxis Ltd company (really head office based in greenock, loll) to make the service a good one.

I wonder what the real reason why B.A.A threw them out

The details are here
Glasgow Airport Taxis thrown out

but in the statement the manager Henry Glasgow was quoted as saying he was "devastated" by the decision, adding: "We have provided a seamless operation for more than four years."

Seamless!!!
Seamless!, what planet was this guy on?
If he realises how many contracts his company lost he would say it's seamless or is he just hiding facts.
pmsl! Something smells and I have smelt cleaner when I bent down to wipe my butt after a long curry night.

Stuff that I'm hungry now, think i'll have a Chicken Buttered Masala tonight

:-:

Last edited by GlasgowGuy; Dec 5, 2012 at 11:06 am Reason: spelling mistakes, soz
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GlasgowGuy
I wonder what the real reason why B.A.A threw them out
As I said I never used them so have no actual experience of the company. However I did hear feedback from some people who didn't have a good word to say about them. Mainly to do with cost and grumpy drivers who weren't too keen on taking customers the short distance to Paisley.

Glad to hear they have been kicked out.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA
What would happen if caught, the driver would receive 3pts for each child under 14 not wearing a seatbelt and 3 pts for a underaged child not in a boster seat/child seat. To boot, the vehicle would not be insured if involved in a accident.
This regular statement about "not being insured" if some regulation/rule is not complied with is incorrect. Insurance is valid for the vehicle provided certain absolute basics (eg driver has licence) are complied with. Otherwise insurers could evade large numbers of claims with eg vehicle not driven sufficiently safely.

Yes the driver can still be prosecuted for the offences, but that is a different matter. And the insurer can hike the premium or refuse to renew. But those are quite different.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM
This regular statement about "not being insured" if some regulation/rule is not complied with is incorrect. Insurance is valid for the vehicle provided certain absolute basics (eg driver has licence) are complied with. Otherwise insurers could evade large numbers of claims with eg vehicle not driven sufficiently safely.

Yes the driver can still be prosecuted for the offences, but that is a different matter. And the insurer can hike the premium or refuse to renew. But those are quite different.
Sorry WHBM, I'm not trying to stir things up here but 'Totally untrue'.

And yes the Insurance companies do flaunt the rules to evade claims to their own advantage.
(The reason why I'm replying to your statement is that people reading your statement would think they will always be covered in a hire vehicle no matter what, which is not true)

As I dealt with Transport business for 20 years and dealt with insurances for hackneys, mini cabs, Buses and HGV I'm in a position to inform people of the do’s and don’ts. Also the Civic Act of Scotland where the transport law resides is quite large and very particular and I have to keep up-to date with it.

Here are examples of what Insurance companies have allowed, (or not allowed).

1. Driver allows lady to have her small luggage case inside the car on the back seat (in the middle). During journey the driver has to break quickly and the luggage flies through the air between the two front seats and hits the front seat passengers arm, servering an artery, The passenger nearly dies, spends along time in hospital and having to go through thearpy. They try to claim the drivers insurance, Insurance Company states NO and then the family take the driver to court.
For example, Insurance companies use it to their own discretion until the S**t hits the fan and they state that "Hand luggage on an airplane is totally different to that for a vehicle"

2. This would be the same for mini cabs picking up families with children and not have a child seat and then involved in an accident. The Insurance Company will not cover any injury and damage as mini cabs MUST have child seats and booster seat for babies and children. (When you book a minicab/chauffeur vehicle it is prebooked so the company have facilities to bring a child seat/booster seat, which is why they do not have the same leeway as hackney carriages which are picked off from the street)

3. If you’re in the city late at night, and want home and see a minicab sitting. You ask the driver to take you home for 15. The driver says yes. He is not insured to drive you as his pickups must be pre-booked. AND yes the Insurance companies go through it like a fine tooth comb, time of booking, what phone number was used, what number was dialled, what time was person picked up.
The driver is also prosecuted by the police and his insurers will not cover.

4. If the driver of a mini cab or chauffeur is involved in an accident and he suffers injury due to not wearing a seatbelt then the insurance company are not liable to cover his injuries as he MUST wear a seatbelt at all times.
Hackney drivers are different; if they suffer injury in the same manner the insurance company cannot deny payout because driver is within the law.

These are only an example of some of the facts which I know about, there are tons more that I could inform you about regarding insurance and I’m sure you will be shocked.

p.s. If a chauffeur company picksup a passenger and the passenger pays for the single journey and is hire out less than 24 hours then it is illegal and if during that journey they are involved in an accident then the Insurance company would not cover the damages and injury unless the hire was for over 24hours, thus single journeys would not be covered, (obviously after their thorough investigation).

Murder isn't it having to know all these facts, no wonder my heed is busting at times.

Loll

Think I'm suffering from that Chicken Buttered Masala I had, no wonder I'm up late.

Last edited by GlasgowGuy; Dec 5, 2012 at 6:43 pm Reason: Missed an important part of the message which had to be added
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

now there are 7 online Glasgow Airport drivers sites.
If anyone would like to provide a link to one or more of these companies which they would personally recommend, particularly if they do online quotes, I would much appreciate it. I don't mind how good looking or any tenuous connection with Bearsden.

Turns out we won't need the cab company to supply the child seat after all. We have decided to bring our own, and as a commenter noted up-thread, not so much about the strict regulations as about (i) being consistent from car to car, as we will have to keep him in a car seat for at least another year here and (ii) making sure WE feel that he's safe.

Given that, does it make any sense for us just to hail a cab from the airport rank?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:50 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Anna Phor
Turns out we won't need the cab company to supply the child seat after all. We have decided to bring our own, and as a commenter noted up-thread, not so much about the strict regulations as about (i) being consistent from car to car, as we will have to keep him in a car seat for at least another year here
Having just spent much time buying a car seat in recent weeks, I can assure you that not all seats fit all cars by any stretch of the imagination. Definitely need to test them first, and I worked through several before finding one that even fitted. Even the supposedly standard "ISOFIX" fittings are not standardised, which came as a real surprise.

Having been through all the mainstream baby shops and not been satidfied I then got to Halfords who, while not knowing so much about babies, at least know much more about cars. They have a whole cross-reference guide between seats and car types. The incompatibility (and need for such a manual in the first place) is extraordinary. The fitter told me that the worst are BMWs, where nothing ever seems to fit.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I'd like to resurrect this thread. Will need transport GLA to Edinburgh City Centre. Flight arrives 5:30 AM. We are a family of 6 with 6 carry on bags. No need for child seats. Anyone tried

https://ots-system.net/booking.php?l...cpin035sfpir06
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I'd like to resurrect this thread. Will need transport GLA to Edinburgh City Centre. Flight arrives 5:30 AM. We are a family of 6 with 6 carry on bags. No need for child seats. Anyone tried

https://ots-system.net/booking.php?l...cpin035sfpir06
No experience of the operator you mention but when I asked them for a quote for my normal route they were 60% more expensive than Network my normal choice which is the largest in Glasgow
http://www.networkprivatehire.co.uk/
Old May 3, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by farci
No experience of the operator you mention but when I asked them for a quote for my normal route they were 60% more expensive than Network my normal choice which is the largest in Glasgow
http://www.networkprivatehire.co.uk/
Thanks, Farci. I've emailed them. I got preoccupied with hotel bookings!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.