Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your 3 Favourite London Pubs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by realjd
You should be able to find bottles of BrewDog also. It's a Scottish brewery that brews American-style beers. If you have time, check out their pub in Camden. They have their entire line of beers on tap as well as a few guest taps of American craft beers.
They're also in Shoreditch (at the top of Brick Lane, natch) and recently opened in Shepherd's Bush - I've not been yet, but apparently that branch is an homage to NYC's Barcade, and is full of vintage arcade machines.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:09 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by realjd
American craft beers aren't too rare in bottles. I usually see a lot of Stone in particular. You won't find American IPAs on tap often.

You should be able to find bottles of BrewDog also. It's a Scottish brewery that brews American-style beers. If you have time, check out their pub in Camden. They have their entire line of beers on tap as well as a few guest taps of American craft beers.

Also check out the Craft Beer Company. Several locations in London, all have a huge number of kegs and casks of craft beer:
http://thecraftbeerco.com/
Brewdog recently opened their third London Pub in Shepherd's Bush (original in Camden Town and 2nd at the old Mason & Taylor in Shoreditch). And Craft opened their fourth pub in Clapham (after original in Leather Lane, then Islington and Brixton). Pretty soon you won't be able to swing a cat without hitting one or the other

Sorry: forgot to page forward and didn't see teflon's post)
Old Jan 19, 2014, 4:22 am

Programs: BA & BD Gold Once Upon a Time
Originally Posted by dunk
Quote:

Originally Posted by philemer

Thanks, teflon. Prosit!

Just out of curiosity, what is the approx. cost of a proper pint in most pubs?

Now that is going to start a discussion

I would say anywhere between 3 and 4 pounds a pint, perhaps more for premium lagers, Guinness, etc, but I presume those don't fall into your 'proper pint' classification

Wetherspoons, as teflon suggests, can be cheaper, but IMHO you have to watch the quality of product, cellar management and service.

When I last drank regularly in the City about 3 years ago, our local (Nicholson's ??) served Fuller's London Pride for £2.50 a pint. At four pints for a tenner, that made after work drinking a definite liability !

Perversely, central London can be cheaper than the environs, perhaps due to competition, size of houses or sales volumes. Standard ales at my UK local in the home counties are generally in the range £3.60 - 3.80, rising to over 4 quid for the stronger styles.

hth
And don't forget that is the price paid - no tipping!

Whereas London is vastly overpriced in many areas, beer is not one of them.

The ability to sup a nice pint of bitter in the best areas and best pubs of London, for around £3.80 is fantastic value relative to other world cities.

Try the same in Tokyo, Paris, NYC and Sydney and it makes your eyes water.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: EK Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese (Fleet Street)
Dog & Duck (Soho)
Princess Louise (Holborn)
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:58 am
Suspended

Visitors may find this useful.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...mate-tour.html
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
The Black Friar

The Black Friar is highly rated in Fodor's and on a few threads on FT. Any one recommend this pub? Olde? Modern? It's near Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese so maybe I'll visit both of them.

Any other pubs to recommend in the Mayfair area? Cheers!

Last edited by philemer; Apr 4, 2014 at 7:48 pm Reason: grammar
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
I would recommend it. Good selection of bitters and lagers and really good pub grub too. I would recommend the Ultimate burger if you are feeling hungry.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:55 am

The Black Friar is highly in Fodor's and a few threads on FT. Any one recommend this pub? Olde? Modern? It's near Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese so maybe I'll visit both of them.

Any other pubs to recommend in the Mayfair area? Cheers!
The Black Friar is part of M&B's Nicholson's chain - but don't let that dissuade you; it's worth a visit just for a look around alone. And if it's a nice day, it's got a nice little outdoor seating area, which is a bit of a rarity for central London.

I'm sure you're aware already, but neither are in the Mayfair area!
Old Apr 4, 2014, 6:09 am

Looking for Pubs in All the Right Places!

OK, here it goes. Single 50 y/o something female, traveling alone would like to have pub meals lunch or dinner in London. I'll be there for five nights Wed through Monday, and all over the city seeing...IWM, Greenwich, British Museum, day trip to Portsmouth, and The Tower. I have a WWI Centenary walk in Westminster area on that Saturday. Another trip to Duxford...planes! Staying at the Travelodge in Bethnal Green.

I'm looking for pubs where being a single traveler would not be a problem. I highly doubt I will get "hit on", but they can try!

Just looking for some suggestions from FTs who have been there.

I'm not going until November, but there is a very good chance I may be in London in June/July for five days...
Old Apr 5, 2014, 2:45 pm

I'm sure you'll find plenty of options! Off the top of my head, in Greenwich there's the Old Brewery and Greenwich Union; there's a reasonable Wetherspoons opposite the Tower (though no doubt someone can recommend something slightly more salubrious); and near Bethnal Green, the Approach Tavern and the Royal Inn on the Park. I can highly recommend the latter - it's a nice stroll through Victoria Park, and you can take the 388 bus back to your hotel from near there. (It's also surrounded by lots of nice wee restaurants - visit Namo for some great Vietnamese, and the Fish House for fish & chips.)

And while you're staying there, be sure to visit Broadway Market on Saturday and Columbia Flower Market on the Sunday - they're both pretty much on your doorstep.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:54 pm

Thanks Teflon for the info. I can't wait it hit all the pubs.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happymom2008
Thanks Teflon for the info. I can't wait it hit all the pubs.
All the pubs? According to this site http://www.londontown.com/nightlife/...searchCat=Pubs there are about 700 pubs in London.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:57 pm

All the pubs? According to this site http://www.londontown.com/nightlife/...searchCat=Pubs there are about 700 pubs in London.
OK,,,some of the pubs.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 11:42 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Check out BeerGuideLondon.co.uk for a list of recommended pubs...
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Check out BeerGuideLondon.co.uk for a list of recommended pubs...
According to their map http://www.beerguidelondon.co.uk/map.php there are no recommended pubs in Mayfair/Marylebone area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.