Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your 3 Favourite London Pubs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by WC_EEND
I found The College Arms in Store St to be quite good as well.
This establishment has somewhat of a reputation as a second home for Uni London law students...The rest of us went more for Russell Square and Euston area pubs.

My personal favourite would still be the Friend at Hand close to Russell Square tube station. Lots of staff and teachers from the various Uni London colleges and the occasional student and friendly local as well...

http://www.taylor-walker.co.uk/pub/f...omsbury/c6713/
Old Aug 31, 2012, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nobbyclark
The Nightingale, Wandsworth: great atmosphere, food and beer. And they serve El Coto Rioja, which is nice. Used to be my local when I lived in London.
My old local too and about the only thing I miss in SW12. Sadly a new landlord has seen a slow, steady decline in both atmosphere and beer,
Old Sep 3, 2012, 5:49 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
Blue Posts - Soho. Small but friendly atmosphere. Reasonable selection of guest ales if you're into that.
Ah, you'll need to be a bit more specific than that! There are several Blue Posts in Soho - reputedly named for the wooden posts which marked the bounds of the hunting grounds of Soho (itself named after the hunting call).

But if you're talking about the one on Rupert Street, then I'd agree with you - cosy but very friendly, and with decent home-cooked food too.

I'd also recommend as worth a look:
The Sebright Arms in Bethnal Green - a bit of a hipster magnet, but they have lovely local microbrewed ales, and incredible burgers.

The Princess Louise on High Holborn is another Sam Smith's place that's cheap and cheerful and looks lovely inside, though is almost impossible to meet people in (thanks to the multitude of privacy screens). The gents' downstairs both looks and smells Victorian. The Crown (just up New Oxford Street) may be a better bet if you actually want to find someone, plus it has a small outside area.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 3:09 am

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Good thread. ^
Says you

The last thing I'm going to do is spread info on my favorite pubs
Old Mar 20, 2013, 5:30 am
Suspended

Time to update this sucker with some fresh gems and a couple of old favourites.
All four pubs are easily do-able in a walking pub crawl from the West End.

www.theoldredcow.com

www.foxandanchor.com

www.pakenhamarms.com

www.exmoutharms.co.uk
Old Mar 21, 2013, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
My favourites are:

i) The Anchor, Bankside - I was taken here as a child by my Dad and it is special to me for that reason

ii) The Three Tuns, Houghton St - this was my student union pub, host of the legendary Friday night CRUSH and the AU Barrel, and although it remains a firm favourite in my memory I would not wish to go again

iii) The Gallery, Pimlico - my local these days, although I hardly ever go.

Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Any decent pubs in the Marylebone area for pre dinner meet up drinks?

Somewhere with an outside sitting area would be excellent so I can puff away. Don't want one of those places which attracts suit wearing office types on their way home from work....you know, those loud mouthed bores who think they're God's gift to the UK economy just because they work in London.
As I shall be in cultured company certain standards have to be maintained so no Wetherspoon type pubs either please.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 2:25 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Try Homer St, between Crawford St and Old Marylebone Road. Lots of boozers there, some with benches outside.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
The Churchill Arms
The Lamb (Lamb's Conduit Street)
Princess Louise

Cheers
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:57 am

Deleted

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Mar 26, 2013 at 11:42 am
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
Deleted
Oh, er, that's odd, I'm sure there was a post there when I pressed reply. Anyway, it sounds like the place you're looking for is Gordon's Wine Bar.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by teflon
Oh, er, that's odd, I'm sure there was a post there when I pressed reply. Anyway, it sounds like the place you're looking for is Gordon's Wine Bar.
You're too fast for me! The place was The Coal Hole. I finally found the answer to my own question just a little while after posting.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 6:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lancebanyon
You're too fast for me! The place was The Coal Hole. I finally found the answer to my own question just a little while after posting.
A favourite watering hole of Richard Harris who kept a flat nearby at the Savoy Hotel.
Liked a pint of Guinness or ten.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Showbizguru
A favourite watering hole of Richard Harris who kept a flat nearby at the Savoy Hotel.
Liked a pint of Guinness or ten.
Thanks, that is interesting. I didn't know much about him so just looked online - sounds like a real piece of work, but probably great fun to drink with back in the day. If he, Oliver Reed, and Graham Chapman ever drank together that would have been a combination worth seeing
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:35 am

The Ship in Wandsworth re-opened a week ago after being shut for a major refurb inside and out. Done a great job. The food is very good here but since the refurb the burger has got a lot better. One of the best in London now for sure (bar boulud is the best).

Glad someone else thinks so too;

http://shortlist.com/cool-stuff/shor...ks-best-burger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.