Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delays at UK airports ...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:09 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Threads merged. Please continue to follow all discussions of the ongoing UK Border queue saga on this thread.

stut
UK & Ireland
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Boris Johnson: Heathrow immigration meltdown gives 'terrible impression of UK'

The Telegraph: Boris Johnson: Heathrow immigration meltdown gives 'terrible impression of UK'

I'm not really surprised Boris Johnson has chimed in...

He said the difficulties at Heathrow gave "a terrible impression of the UK" and it was unfortunate that the country's main port of entry was "gaining such a poor reputation".

Mr Johnson told Mrs May he was looking forward to "hearing what measures the Home Office and the UK Border Agency plan to take in order to rectify the situation both for the (Olympic) Games and for usual passenger numbers".

Major airlines reacted furiously to an attempt by the Border Force to gag Heathrow over the meltdown faced by the immigration service.
The article includes some text that is similar to my last post on this topic...

Old Apr 30, 2012, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by 45128
There are UK immigration checks at St Pancras, the reason being that passengers can board the Paris-London train at Calais-Frιthun where there is no UKBA employee as the passenger numbers there are negligible. Heaven forfend that any no-EU passenger might slip through the net.
It's more for the people who board at Brussels Midi without going through immigration by telling the agent they're going to Lille, but fail to get off at Lille.
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I wasn't referring to immigration (which is done in Paris or Brussels for Eurostar and occasionally at St Pancras although I have no clue how they know who to check). I was referring to the unnecessary customs agents loitering at St Pancras inbound. The UK is a member of the EU which is, first and foremost, a customs union. There is no duty imposed entering the UK from Belgium or France.
There is on commercial imports, and there is a particular problem with commercial quantities of duty-paid tobacco being brought in from the continent illegally as it is around half the price.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
There is a fundamental difference between EU citizens and non-EU citizens when it comes to entering the UK.

EU citizens have a right of entry under EU Free Movement provisions, subject only to an identity check. Non-EU citizens require entry clearance from UKBA.
Yes, but it makes no difference at all where in the world those two classes of passengers have started from. In other words, a French citizen whose trip started in France is (or should be) treated in the same way in immigration terms – as the citizen of an EU country – as a French citizen whose trip started in Peru, and a Peruvian citizen should likewise be treated in the same way – as a citizen of a non-EU country – regardless of whether his or her trip started outside or inside the EU.

That's what I was referring to.

Last edited by Christopher; Apr 30, 2012 at 8:09 am
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by ajax
All Eurostar passengers entering the UK clear UK immigration checks at the station from which they depart (e.g., Gare du Nord or Brussels Midi). There are no immigration checks at St Pancras. There might be customs checks (although I personally have never seen any) but I believe there shouldn't be as all passengers are entering from another EU country and thus, technically, a common customs zone.
Yes, that's all correct. But, as above, the immigration "scrutiny" accorded the passengers travelling on the Eurostar should be of the same order as for any other passengers arriving from outside the Common Travel Area (albeit that it is done before departure rather than after arrival).
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I wasn't referring to immigration (which is done in Paris or Brussels for Eurostar and occasionally at St Pancras although I have no clue how they know who to check). I was referring to the unnecessary customs agents loitering at St Pancras inbound. The UK is a member of the EU which is, first and foremost, a customs union. There is no duty imposed entering the UK from Belgium or France.

Or are those folks really loitering immigration agents who pull people out at random? If so, that seems even sillier than checking at that one location.
I don't know what those people are doing!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Christopher
I don't know what those people are doing!
Per above, probably something to do with cracking down on tobacco imports.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by stifle
Per above, probably something to do with cracking down on tobacco imports.
Could well be. On occasions when I've travelled by Eurostar to London, everyone getting off the train has been asked to show his or her boarding pass (i.e. on arrival): presumably, in that case, they might have been looking for someone specific, or else for "stowaways"?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Christopher
Could well be. On occasions when I've travelled by Eurostar to London, everyone getting off the train has been asked to show his or her boarding pass (i.e. on arrival): presumably, in that case, they might have been looking for someone specific, or else for "stowaways"?
Could also have been in that case the Lille loophole.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:57 am

Well, I guess they are effectively stowaways – if you can "stow away" on a train rather than a ship, that is.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
There are UK immigration checks at St Pancras, the reason being that passengers can board the Paris-London train at Calais-Frιthun where there is no UKBA employee as the passenger numbers there are negligible.
How are these passengers identified at St Pancras?

Heaven forfend that any no-EU passenger might slip through the net.
I have no problem with having a problem with non-EU passengers slipping through the net.

Yes - this was identified by the BBC Report programme (excellent, by the way) back in December. Apparently UKBA staff in Brussels were threatened with arrest by Belgian police for trying to stop people whom they suspected of trying to illegally enter the UK by only buying a ticket to Lille but staying on. The reporter who made this story was able to enter the UK (unchallenged) this way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16058860

UKBA pledged tighter controls:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16092647

But of course, UKBA have promised many things.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
The loophole has been around for a decade.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1799790.stm

They seem to have restricted the Brussels to Lille tickets to 3 trains a day, and it is only those that should have routine immigration checks in London.
Old May 1, 2012, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Bad weather claim for immigration delays triggers ridicule

The Telegraph: Bad weather claim for immigration delays triggers ridicule

The weather???

I've been away for a week and half and know that it's been rainy...did not think it was THAT bad...

Meanwhile Mr Green, who admitted some passengers had been waiting "too long", said that poor weather had led to flights bunching, thus causing a sudden influx of passengers at the same time.

Their explanation triggered ridicule from MPs and the aviation industry. John Spellar, a former Labour transport minister, accused the Government of blaming “the wrong sort of rain.”
Old May 1, 2012, 2:32 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by ajax
I thought the British way was to not complain at all, and when asked say "Oh no, there's nothing wrong here!" but then moan about it for the next fifty years and continually repeat what you almost said.
No, no, no, that's only for really important things.

I'm pleased to report that C4 News led with camera phone footage of people slow-handclapping and singing "why are we waiting"! Sometimes, I am proud of the British public...

Today, you know something is wrong when even the Daily [insert your insult of choice] criticises border controls as Draconian…
Old May 1, 2012, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by stut
No, no, no, that's only for really important things.

I'm pleased to report that C4 News led with camera phone footage of people slow-handclapping and singing "why are we waiting"! Sometimes, I am proud of the British public...

Today, you know something is wrong when even the Daily [insert your insult of choice] criticises border controls as Draconian…
...and for the benefit of our international audience, in the UK this is the equivalent of rioting on the streets. I don't know if we have reached "frosty stare" stage yet but the day is not far off. Be afraid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.