Delays at UK airports ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delays at UK airports ...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Christopher
I do think that as many passengers as possible ought to be enabled and encouraged to use some sort of biometric entry system, and that it ought to be made easy to enrol in such a system (if enrolment is necessary), and that it ought to be a priority to keep the equipment in good working order. It would seem to me that this sort of entry system would work for most people with an EU/EEA/Swiss passport, as well as for people with a right of abode certificate, possibly for people with indefinite or long-term resident permits, and possibly some non-visa short-term visitors from countries such as the US, Canada, Australia, Singapore, etc. These groups would account for the majority of travellers anyway, and such a system would enable the staff to concentrate on the people that they need to concentrate on.
This already exists, but is being phased out this year.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by stifle
Those face-recognition gates are already being phased out? They just spent loads of money putting them in!
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by ajax
Those face-recognition gates are already being phased out? They just spent loads of money putting them in!
IRIS is the system being phased out. The e-passport gates have someone sitting there matching photos to faces. Not very automated, and unavailable for non-European passport holders.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:53 pm

IRIS is the system being phased out.
Ah. Of course I knew that. I thought you were referring to something else as you didn't mention IRIS.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:03 am

Yes, and that doesn't seem very sensible –.although there no doubt are better ways of doing it (but they're not better, in practice, if they're not done!).
Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
No doubt part of the problem is due to under-funding and therefore under-staffing,
At the airports themselves, I think you may be right - and I feel that IRIS (where it exists) has been a great way to get more efficient without having to increase staff. I really mourn its passing.

In UKBA's operations outside of the airports, I think UKBA's problems would not be solved merely by increasing the number of staff. My experience is that half of the staff are mopping up the messes created by other parts of the organization. Things like passports go missing. Vital steps in processes just get forgotten. People seem to be untrained. Communications that should be electronic are conducted via paper mail systems (or perhaps an arrangement of speaking tubes, typing pools and butlers with heavily tarnished silver trays). But I digress...
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
IRIS is the system being phased out. The e-passport gates have someone sitting there matching photos to faces. Not very automated, and unavailable for non-European passport holders.
Are you *absolutely sure* it does that? The system is supposed to measure your facial features against a set of facial biometrics stored in your passport; one simple example of this (no idea if it's one they actually use or not) is the distance between your eyes. That's why they are called "biometric passports".

Neil
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by jib71
At the airports themselves, I think you may be right - and I feel that IRIS (where it exists) has been a great way to get more efficient without having to increase staff. I really mourn its passing.

In UKBA's operations outside of the airports, I think UKBA's problems would not be solved merely by increasing the number of staff. My experience is that half of the staff are mopping up the messes created by other parts of the organization. Things like passports go missing. Vital steps in processes just get forgotten. People seem to be untrained. Communications that should be electronic are conducted via paper mail systems (or perhaps an arrangement of speaking tubes, typing pools and butlers with heavily tarnished silver trays). But I digress...
Absolutely; I'm sure you're right there. The delays and inefficiencies in the system seem to be so bad and so frequently occurring as to be barely credible. Not for nothing is Lunar House in Croydon often referred to as "Lunatic House".

Of course, unlike the people working in the "back office", passport officers at airports can rarely simply "put things into the too-hard basket" – they really have to deal with each situation, usually definitively, as it arises; i.e., the passenger presents himself or herself and a decision has to be made as to the admissibility of that passenger. Certainly, difficult cases can be shunted off to a manager, but that doesn't happen particularly often (compared to the total volume of passengers), and it is certainly not the cause of the delays that we see and hear about at passport control in UK airports.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Not for nothing is Lunar House in Croydon often referred to as "Lunatic House".
Well that's cheered me up. I'm glad I started this thread.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pacer142
Are you *absolutely sure* it does that? The system is supposed to measure your facial features against a set of facial biometrics stored in your passport; one simple example of this (no idea if it's one they actually use or not) is the distance between your eyes. That's why they are called "biometric passports".

Neil
That's what it's supposed to do, but due to some bureaucracy (not sure whether it's some enabling legislation not being passed, the system not being tested, or something else) they have to have the manual step.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:57 am

Not for nothing is Lunar House in Croydon often referred to as "Lunatic House".
Oh, ain't that the truth - but IMHO it's usually a competition between the applicants and the officers as to who are the craziest.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
That's what it's supposed to do, but due to some bureaucracy (not sure whether it's some enabling legislation not being passed, the system not being tested, or something else) they have to have the manual step.
Is that documented anywhere online, OOI? It seems odd.

Neil
Old Apr 28, 2012, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/ap...-queues-delays

Perhaps those of us who care about the long lines for non-EU passport holders should write to Keith Vaz and Damian Green to make the case that automated gates need to be available for frequent visitors with non-EU passports (whether IRIS or biometric passport style). This would reduce numbers of people going through manned gates and improve the experience for people who regularly visit the UK.

Keith Vaz: http://www.keithvazmp.com/contact-me/
Damian Green: http://www.damiangreenmp.org.uk/text.aspx?id=12
Old Apr 28, 2012, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Or, just throw the letter/email straight in the bin for all they care. Britain is broken. The Eton debating society is as much use as an ash tray on a motorbike.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 3:25 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I think the only way to protest is the British way.

Once in the queue, get everybody singing "why are we waiting" to the tune of Adeste Fideles. That'll panic 'em.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.