Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car Rental Insurance in Ireland -- Very Confused

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by Superorb
What number did you call to confirm? I have a 2 week trip to Ireland this summer. Also, was your trip for business? Apparently that's the only way they'll cover you if you need to use the insurance.
I called 888-320-9956.

As for coverage on a personal trip (which mine was), the terms and conditions state:

The Auto Rental CDW benefit provides reimbursement for damage due to collision or theft up to the actual cash value of most rental vehicles. It is primary coverage which means you do not have to file a claim with any other source of insurance before you can receive coverage under this benefit while renting primarily for business purposes, renting outside your country of residence for personal reasons or if you do not have automobile insurance.
Based on this, you should be covered even though you are renting on a personal trip.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by bevoinva

Based on this, you should be covered even though you are renting on a personal trip.
Thanks, this will save as a ton of money this summer! We'll be in IE June 21-July 7th

Do you think I should call now to get the letter or just wait till the trip is a bit closer? Do they date the letter? Was it an Ink Bold or Plus?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:24 pm

Thanks, this will save as a ton of money this summer! We'll be in IE June 21-July 7th

Do you think I should call now to get the letter or just wait till the trip is a bit closer? Do they date the letter? Was it an Ink Bold or Plus?
They do date the letter. I would call about a week ahead of time - they emailed it to me and I had it before I got off the phone with them.

In my case, I used an Ink bold.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by bevoinva
They do date the letter. I would call about a week ahead of time - they emailed it to me and I had it before I got off the phone with them.

In my case, I used an Ink bold.
Thanks, I have 2 Ink Bold cards right now, a Visa and a MC. Might cancel the MC if they don't waive the AF or offer another bonus with spend though.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:11 pm

Thanks, I have 2 Ink Bold cards right now, a Visa and a MC. Might cancel the MC if they don't waive the AF or offer another bonus with spend though.
The one I used was a Visa so you should be ok.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Has anyone used the UA Mileage Plus card on a rental in Ireland over the last few months? I haven't seen anything in writing as to whether or not they provide primary, or any, coverage in Ireland or N. Ireland.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:55 am

I read this thread from beginning to the end and am still confused. Using a US CC that will cover, is there anything else that we need to specifically ask to buy from the car rental company ? Like if CDW is covered by the CC, LDW will not be in the US, like that. I have a short trip to dublin coming up in a couple of weeks and this seems to be the most confusing part of the whole planning :.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by su9062
I read this thread from beginning to the end and am still confused. Using a US CC that will cover, is there anything else that we need to specifically ask to buy from the car rental company ? Like if CDW is covered by the CC, LDW will not be in the US, like that. I have a short trip to dublin coming up in a couple of weeks and this seems to be the most confusing part of the whole planning :.
For Ireland you'll need to contact Chase and have them email/mail a form that states that they cover rental cards and that it's primary coverage. Then you'll decline all waivers or coverage from the rental agency and bring the Chase letter when you pickup the car.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: US GP, *G, HHonors Gold, SPG
Just a quick data point. Both my CSP (Visa Signature) and Citi AA Exec (World Elite MasterCard) provide primary CDW in Ireland and both were able to send me letters explicitly clarifying that the coverage was valid in Ireland.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:31 am

For Ireland you'll need to contact Chase and have them email/mail a form that states that they cover rental cards and that it's primary coverage. Then you'll decline all waivers or coverage from the rental agency and bring the Chase letter when you pickup the car.
Thank you for the note. I called CSP and they emailed me the letter. Although it doesn't say "Primary" in the wording, the rep confirmed more than once that it is primary.
Old May 4, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Caesars DM
Originally Posted by su9062
Thank you for the note. I called CSP and they emailed me the letter. Although it doesn't say "Primary" in the wording, the rep confirmed more than once that it is primary.
Another data point - I had the same experience. I called CSP and they emailed the letter right away, with assurances that international rentals get primary coverage.
Old May 4, 2014, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by maroonsocks
Another data point - I had the same experience. I called CSP and they emailed the letter right away, with assurances that international rentals get primary coverage.
Is it in writing anywhere that CSP provides primary insurance either domestically or abroad?
Old May 4, 2014, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Is it in writing anywhere that CSP provides primary insurance either domestically or abroad?
CSP is secondary in USA and primary outside the US. Call Chase to confirm but this is the norm for Chase cards, except the UA Explorer which is primary everywhere. It's spelled out in the docs you get with your new card.
Old May 5, 2014, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by philemer
CSP is secondary in USA and primary outside the US. Call Chase to confirm but this is the norm for Chase cards, except the UA Explorer which is primary everywhere. It's spelled out in the docs you get with your new card.
Thanks.
Old May 5, 2014, 11:17 am

Does anyone know a way to get around the 30 Eur admin fee for declining the CDW ? Looks like Avis, hertz charge this but is not indicated while booking a reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.