Wiki Posts
Search

Car Rental Insurance in Ireland -- Very Confused

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by IrishRed
The rates are usually cheaper on the Irish versions of the website, like Budget.ie, and include CDW. I usually opt to take the 'Zero Excess Waiver' at the airport, it's €13 per day but reduces the liability to €0.
I just looked at rates & terms at http://www.dan-dooley.ie/ Here's what they say about CDW/CDI:
MasterCard & Canadian VISA Card Auto rental insurance:

MasterCard Auto Rental Insurance and Canadian Visa Card Auto rental Insurance may allow you to waive the cost of Theft Protection and Collision Damage Insurance (CDI) for rental cars in some countries. For Ireland this coverage is only available with a limited number of Mastercard World Business Cards issued by a US bank and some Canadian Visa card programs. If you pay for the full rental with your eligible MasterCard card or Canadian Visa Card you may be covered for up to $50,000 Auto rental Insurance for your rental without excess. This insurance may cover the rental vehicle.

This is an insurance program, certain restrictions and exclusions apply. In order to establish if your MasterCard or Canadian Visa includes Auto Rental Insurance in the Republic of Ireland please call your credit card issuer and/or MasterCard/Canadian Visa before making your reservation. This coverage is a service provided by MasterCard/VISA Canada to the cardholder and therefore it is the card holders responsibility to ensure that they are adequately covered for the entire duration of the rental period. Should you choose to waive our CDW insurance we require written confirmation from your credit card issuer that you have adequate auto rental insurance for the duration of your rental. This must be presented on pick up.

Contact Details for Mastercard and Visa Canada

Mastercard can be contacted from the U.S. by calling 1-800-MC-ASSIST. Visa Canada can be contacted from Canada at 416 367 8472

Important Note:

Dooley Car Rentals do not accept Auto Rental Insurance Programs offered by European Banks and Credit card institutions and reserve the right to refuse third party insurers details if not satisfied with the coverage on the rental vehicle.

A deposit of �3000 is required if you choose to decline CDW. There is a �25 administration fee payable for the administration of this insurance waiver scheme.

So it looks like "some" World MC will cover your CDW/CDI & some won't. Geesh. Check your card benefits carefully & try to get something in writing.

And about Excess Waiver: http://www.dan-dooley.ie/excesswaive.php
Old Feb 26, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by philemer
So, which third party did you use? Thanks.
I honestly can't remember. It was over three years ago and I didn't keep details of the company.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
So it looks like "some" World MC will cover your CDW/CDI & some won't. Geesh. Check your card benefits carefully & try to get something in writing.
The only WORLD MC that I have is the Chase CO MC, and it does not cover Ireland.

I used WorldWideInsure for the excess insurance. No idea if they are legit or how good they are, but the price seemed OK.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know of a World MC that will cover CDW/CDI in Ireland?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:24 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
We have been researching cars for our trip to Ireland as well. From what I have read, if we decline the CDW or the super-CDW, then they will put a hold on our credit card for the amount of the deductible. In addition, tires, windshields and mirrors might or might not be covered. We have been talking with Dan Dooley as we will need three cars (10 people). At this point, I am ready to buy as much insurance as I can from Dan Dooley and move on to the rest of the trip planning. Luckily, they will throw in an extra driver free of charge!

I am still confused about the tolls. The rep told us that the only one we would have to worry about was coming back into Dublin on the M50 (?). She said that we could buy a card at the airport for the tolls.

For MC coverage, you could look at Bank of America Elite Rewards World MasterCard. Someone on the Irelandyes.com message board said that they had received a letter of coverage from that card last year. They also suggested that the Aer Lingus card issued by Barclays includes coverage for Ireland. Unfortunately, it looks like both of them have Forex fees.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
All tolls in Ireland can be paid in cash (euro, with change available, except the Fermoy entrance to the M8 where only coins are accepted) with the exception of the M50 West Link. This can be paid online at http://www.eflow.ie/ or by calling 1890 50 10 50 (only valid from an Irish phone unfortunately), or at any convenience store with the Payzone symbol displayed.

There is no card or anything used; you just give the car registration (licence plate) number and pay €3 per car per crossing. You can pay in advance and must pay by the day after you travel.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL,CO,SWA
I'm doing the same for end of May/beg of June. Dublin pickup/dropoff at Shannon. Question: For budget.ie do they charge your credit card when you make the reservation or is that just to hold the reservation? For a week rental it looks like its Eur224 + Eur28. Deductible is Eur1200. Get SuperCDW for Eur13 a day (Eur91). One-way rental included. So it appears to be for Class 6 vehicle for a week. Is 224 + 28 + 91 * 1.135 = Eur355.29.

This is for a Toyota Auris not a Yaris.... That is Eur179...

Am I missing anything?
Old Mar 7, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: UA, PC Plat
Originally Posted by dcv2002
I'm doing the same for end of May/beg of June. Dublin pickup/dropoff at Shannon. Question: For budget.ie do they charge your credit card when you make the reservation or is that just to hold the reservation? For a week rental it looks like its Eur224 + Eur28. Deductible is Eur1200. Get SuperCDW for Eur13 a day (Eur91). One-way rental included. So it appears to be for Class 6 vehicle for a week. Is 224 + 28 + 91 * 1.135 = Eur355.29.

This is for a Toyota Auris not a Yaris.... That is Eur179...

Am I missing anything?
They've never charged my card at booking, only at the counter. Hope this helps
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: DL,CO,SWA
Originally Posted by IrishRed
They've never charged my card at booking, only at the counter. Hope this helps
Thanks. Just reserved a car. You can use spring12 to get 10% off. I don't leave Dublin until the 29th, but the price is the same for 6/7 days so I reserved from the 28th. (Til 4th June). Luckily I've driven in Ireland before, so hopefully it will comeback rather quickly.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:11 am

Does the Chase Sapphire Preferred World MC also exclude Ireland?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Originally Posted by abcx
Does the Chase Sapphire Preferred World MC also exclude Ireland?
As far as I know, the Chase Sapphire Preferred card is only available in the form of a Visa Signature, not as a World MC -- I just got one a couple months ago and don't remember being able to choose between Visa and MC during the application process.

And it does exclude Ireland from car rental insurance coverage.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by trainman74
As far as I know, the Chase Sapphire Preferred card is only available in the form of a Visa Signature, not as a World MC -- I just got one a couple months ago and don't remember being able to choose between Visa and MC during the application process.

And it does exclude Ireland from car rental insurance coverage.
There is a world MC for that card. See here:

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/18635
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=13281.0
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just received my World MC from Barclay (US Air) and it does NOT cover CDW in Ireland.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:53 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Does anyone know of a World MC that will cover CDW/CDI in Ireland?
Just received my World MC from Barclay (US Air) and it does NOT cover CDW in Ireland.
I have done quite a bit of looking into this this morning online. I read up on my Ameriprise World Elite card which included the following:

> Please note that the following countries’ laws may disallow this coverage: Australia,
Republic of Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, New Zealand, Mexico, and North Ireland. You are
strongly advised to contact your vehicle rental agency before you travel to determine any
need for other rental car insurance coverage legally required in a non-US location.
> Coverage is not available where prohibited by law.
I read reports online that actually all World and World Elite Mastercards do provide coverage in Ireland, the question is whether the agency you are renting from will accept that coverage, thus the disclaimer. I am going to call MasterCard and attempt to get written confirmation either way and will report back.

The following is from thrifty.ie, which I think spells out pretty clearly what is and is not covered with the various options, and the process for waiving CDW. Of note, there is a significant fee to waive the Thrifty CDW in favor of MasterCard coverage. In fact, the fee is not altogether that much lower than the Thrifty base coverage; however, from what I can tell, the MC coverage is probably better in that it does not carry the extremely high deductible. Hope this helps someone.

US World MasterCard & Canadian VisaCard/MasterCard Auto rental insurance

Options:

***VERY IMPORTANT - MUST READ IF YOU ARE WAIVING CDW INSURANCE***

***NOT AVAILABLE to non US/Canada nationals - Only US issued world MasterCard or Canadian issued Visa will be accepted***

**These cards will only be accepted for coverage for a MAXIMUM of 28 days in any one calender year.**

***NOT APPLICABLE TO CUSTOMERS TRANSFERRING OWN IRISH INSURANCE POLICY - ANY CUSTOMER WISHING TO DO THIS MUST CONTACT OUR RESERVATIONS TEAM ON 01-8441944***

Since September 1st 2006 most US credit cards will not cover you for Collision Damage Waiver Insurance in the Republic of Ireland. To decline our CDW insurance, you must have either a US issued World MasterCard or Canadian issued Gold/Platinum Visa/MasterCard and provide WRITTEN PROOF that the card has relevant coverage for THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND. If a relevant card and cover letter are not produced at time of commencement of rental then our CDW insurance must be purchased at the local daily rate. Only relevant US or Canadian issued credit cards can be used to waive our CDW insurance – we do not accept European credit cards for coverage.

***Please be advised that a 28.38Euro (inclusive of VAT) administration fee will be applicable for anyone using their credit card to waive insurance and will be payable on arrival***

MasterRental Insurance and Canadian VisaCard/MasterCard Auto Rental Insurance may allow you to waive the cost of Theft Protection and Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) for rental cars in some countries. This coverage is ONLY available with US World MasterCard some Canadian VisaCard/MasterCard programs.

If you pay for the full rental with your eligible US World MasterCard or Canadian VisaCard/MasterCard you may be covered for up to 50,000US Dollars auto rental insurance for your rental without excess.

***PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT FOR SECURITY REASONS, 2000EURO WILL BE CHARGED TO YOUR CARD in case of damage. If there is any damage, this amount can be claimed back through your credit card company. No damage on return will result in a full refund to your card. We will NOT be held responsible for any exchange rate charges as a result.

This insurance covers the rental vehicle. This is an insurance program, certain restrictions and exclusions apply. In order to establish if your credit card includes Auto Rental Insurance in the Republic of Ireland please call your credit card issuer before making your reservation.

This coverage is a service provided by US MasterCard OR Visa/MasterCard Canada to the cardholder and therefore it is the card holders responsibility to ensure that they are adequately covered for the entire duration of the rental period. We reserve the right to refuse third party insurance.

Contact details for MasterCard 1-800-MC-ASSIST.
Contact details for Visa Canada 416.367.8472.

In order to establish if your US MasterCard or Canadian VisaCard/MasterCard includes Auto Rental Insurance in the Republic of Ireland please call your credit card issuer and/or US MasterCard/Canadian VisaCard/MasterCard before making your reservation. It is important to confirm to your credit card issuer that the Republic of Ireland as your place of rental.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
The following is from thrifty.ie, which I think spells out pretty clearly what is and is not covered with the various options, and the process for waiving CDW. Of note, there is a significant fee to waive the Thrifty CDW in favor of MasterCard coverage. In fact, the fee is not altogether that much lower than the Thrifty base coverage; however, from what I can tell, the MC coverage is probably better in that it does not carry the extremely high deductible. Hope this helps someone.
Budget.ie also has a fee for declining CDW which was similar to the cost of taking CDW for a week. Though you're right that the deductible with the CC CDW will likely be lower, if not zero. Hope that helps someone. I couldn't find a single card that I can get that would cover me in Ireland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.