Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Going From Heathrow Sofitel to Terminal 3?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2010, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

In a few weeks, I'll need to get to the Sofitel at Heathrow Terminal 5 from a Heathrow Connect train, and then, the next morning, from the Sofitel to Terminal 3 for an 1100 flight.

Looks like the train stops at Terminal 5 so I assume getting to the Sofitel isn't an issue.

The Sofitel site says the hotel offers "courtesy" rides on the Heathrow Express/Connect to the other terminals. Anyone done that? How does it work? How long does it take? Can I count on it? If not, what's the best alternative way to get to Terminal 3?
Old Sep 18, 2010, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by justcorbly
The Sofitel site says the hotel offers "courtesy" rides on the Heathrow Express/Connect to the other terminals. Anyone done that? How does it work? How long does it take? Can I count on it? If not, what's the best alternative way to get to Terminal 3?
That is BS from Sofitel - the train services (and buses) between LHR terminals are FREE for everyone not just Sofitel guests.

Suggest you read the Heathrow Airport website
Old Sep 18, 2010, 4:26 pm

Yes, that's awfully kind of the Sofitel, but it's just blather – the train services (Heathrow Connect/Heathrow Express) between terminals at Heathrow are free to all. To get from the Sofitel (and therefore Terminal 5) to Terminal 3, just go to the Heathrow Express station at Terminal 5 and get the train to Terminal 3 – takes a few minutes only. Inter-terminal buses are also free, I believe. (Note that the London Underground is not free between terminals –.as far as I know.)
Old Sep 18, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by justcorbly
In a few weeks, I'll need to get to the Sofitel at Heathrow Terminal 5 from a Heathrow Connect train, and then, the next morning, from the Sofitel to Terminal 3 for an 1100 flight.

Looks like the train stops at Terminal 5 so I assume getting to the Sofitel isn't an issue.
Just a specific quick clarification:
Heathrow Connect goes to Heathrow Central (for T1-2-3) then Terminal 4.
Heathrow Express goes Heathrow Central (for 1-2-3) then Terminal 5.

All journeys (in both directions) between the central T1-2-3 station and both T4 and T5 are free.
To ensure a free quent service there is also a train doing a shuttle operation between T4 and T1-2-3 which I believe is now branded 'Heathrow Express'? (enabling it to claim HEX serves all Terminals).

But it is still simply, if arriving on Heathrow Connect, get off at Heathrow Central (T1-2-3) stay on the platform for the next train to Terminal 5.

Returning, go back to the T5 station and get a train back to T1-2-3 (free journey - nothing to do with the hotel).

If you stay onboard beyond Heathrow Central in the london direction you will need a ticket, or to buy a ticket at a higher rate on board the train. Travelcards are not valid on either service. On the Connect, you would need a ticket from Hayes and Harlington (the last station they are valid from) to Heathrow Central - this is all because the tunnel was paid for privately by BAA grrr...

Originally Posted by Christopher
Inter-terminal buses are also free, I believe. (Note that the London Underground is not free between terminals –.as far as I know.)
Many buses operating in the immediate heathrow airport estate area are free within the Heathrow freeflow zone. Not all are free though, but it does make a lot of hotels available once you know they area.

However for T5 to Central area buses are really not that practical due to the route being a bit of an excursion landside (even though free, it is a big loop). For T4-T5 they can be good, and for getting about the area in the dead of night when the trains and underground have stopped.

N.b. to confirm, the london underground (the tube) is NOT free between terminals.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 3:07 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
As for how long it takes... The Heathrow Express runs every 15 minutes, and takes about 5 minutes to get from T5 to Heathrow Central. From the Sofitel to the platforms is about 5 minutes - from Heathrow Central to T3 departures can be up to 10, depending on how crowded T3 is that day and who you're flying with. So, worst case 35 minutes, best case 15. There's an odd chance that problems on the overground section of the railway could cause delays to service - it doesn't normally affect it badly, but when it does, you don't want to be faced with a half-hour bus ride when you're due to check in in 15 minutes' time.

The train needs to be completely cleared out on arrival at T5, so if you're waiting, don't rush to board when one pulls in - you'll get chucked off.

As others have said, you just walk straight on to the platform (well, take the lift or escalator) and catch the next departing train towards London. T5 is currently the terminus, so there's no doubt about which direction you're going in...
Little Washita likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:27 am

Free Buses Around Heathrow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.