Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > TWA FFB/Aviators
Reload this Page >

AA won't honor liftime TW Ambassador memberships :(

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA won't honor liftime TW Ambassador memberships :(

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2001, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Just a bad business desicion here by AA if they follow thru with it: we'll see.
Old Mar 9, 2001, 11:06 am

Location: Milwaukee, WI (Now 3 Million Miler) NWA 120 Segment Gold, CO Plat
Just received a letter today from TWA. The second paragraph is titled “JOINT CLUB ACCESS”, and reads as follows:

“More good news for our Ambassadors Club members. We are pleased to announce our club members and Trans World One passengers will have access to all 50 of the American Airlines Admirals Club locations. For admittance into the Admirals Clubs, members simply need to present their valid Ambassadors Club card along with a day of flight ticket or boarding pass for travel on TWA or American. Trans World One passengers will present their day of flight TWA ticket or boarding pass. Members may bring two guests or their immediate family to the Admirals Club and are subject to all Admirals Club rules and regulations.”

There is NOTHING pertaining to lifetime members. It just says “valid” Ambassadors card. Since I am still alive, I guess that would mean my card would still be “valid” until I am not. Wouldn’t it?

If everything else we have read and seen thus far is true, and AA is NOT going to honor the lifetime memberships, perhaps they can look at another alternative. Perhaps someone can suggest that for a nominal fee, ($1000, perhaps); they would turn these cards into a lifetime Admiral Club card. I realize they are no longer offering one, however, they have in the past, so there are some out there, and these are particularly unique circumstances, requiring particularly unique resolutions.

I’m sure they have gotten, or will get, the message that, it is definitely NOT in their best interest to alienate what will more than likely become some of their best customers, as anyone who owns a lifetime membership not only has the financial wherewithal, but obviously does a lot of flying, or they would have no need for it.

What do you think?

------------------
Blue Skies to you all!
Old Mar 9, 2001, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
(dup)

[This message has been edited by zrs70 (edited 03-09-2001).]
Old Mar 9, 2001, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2 Million:

On all of our behalf, write AA a letter!
Old Mar 11, 2001, 5:36 am

Before everyone gets their panties in a bunch, just how much, exactly, is the "discounted" fee?
Old Mar 17, 2001, 1:36 pm

OK, where exactly should we complain about this one. I really want to reach the right person.

I am a lifetime TWA, an Admiral's Club member, and an AA Platiunum. Perhaps they would like me to be happy.

Old Mar 17, 2001, 3:46 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Elleir,

AA Platinum and this was your first post to the boards? Welcome!

I would give a call to the Platinum line and ask them who you should complain to. I am not sure how they can get away (morally, not legally) with this. Randy mentioned in an article that Continental didn't honor the lifetime Eastern memberships, but I seem to remember that as long as you had purchased it before their bankruptcy it was converted automatically to lifetime PC.

FF
Old Mar 17, 2001, 5:12 pm
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
freakflyer, you are right about the Eastern Ionosphere conversions, the earlier members were converted to lifetime Presidents Club membership.
Old Mar 18, 2001, 11:14 am

Programs: DL 3MM/DM, AA 3MM/PLT, UA 1K
Originally posted by zrs70:
This from the Q and A from AA's site:

Q: Would Ambassadors club lifetime members receive Admirals Club lifetime membership?

Ambassadors Club lifetime members would receive an Admirals’ Club membership complimentary for two years from the closing date and discounted pricing for each year beyond.

I hope AA reconsiders.
I hope AA doesn't reconsider. As an AA Platinum, I have paid for club access for several years. AA's clubs are much nicer then the TWA clubs I have been to. Admirals clubs have many more features and better service. This costs money. How can AA make business sense in giving lifetime memberships to TWA members?
Old Mar 18, 2001, 12:24 pm

If you want free lounge access, put all of your miles into BA's program. Once you reach their gold level, all O/W lounges on the day of your flight are free. You can even bring in one guest.
Old Mar 18, 2001, 1:12 pm

Tango,

This is also true for American (at least if you are on an international itinerary). Plus once you hit 2mm you theoretically have lifetime access to the Admiral's Clubs when flying OW on internationa trips.

However, I still believe that it is cheap of American not to honor the TWA cards, especially now that you can't buy them any more. As mentioned above, I do not believe that there is a single case where the acquiring airline has not honored these memberships.

If they don't accept them, I feel particularly sorry for those folks that bought a lifetime TWA card AFTER the TW/AA announcement was made and before they cut off the purchases.

FF
Old Mar 19, 2001, 9:37 am

From TWA.COM:

Information about Admirals Club® Usage

In the last few weeks you have read and heard a lot of news about TWA. As an Ambassadors Club® member, you can rest assured that the news is very good and getting better every day.
Not.

Old Mar 24, 2001, 2:11 pm

Location: Milwaukee, WI (Now 3 Million Miler) NWA 120 Segment Gold, CO Plat
Originally posted by wschild
:
I hope AA doesn't reconsider. As an AA Platinum, I have paid for club access for several years. AA's clubs are much nicer then the TWA clubs I have been to. Admirals clubs have many more features and better service. This costs money. How can AA make business sense in giving lifetime memberships to TWA members?
wschild:

And we haven’t been paying for years? Or the money we paid for our memberships isn’t as “good” as you money? I paid annually for several years before buying my Lifetime card. I have owned it for almost nine years now. And guess what? It cost money, too!

And as far as quality of the clubs is concerned, what’s the deal there? It doesn’t matter to me, or anyone else, I’m sure, whether the AA’s clubs are nicer. Using your logic, if the tables were reversed, and TWA was buying out a floundering AA, does that mean that AA club members SHOULD get TWA club access because they aren’t as nice as AA’s, so you really wouldn’t be gaining anything? Get real!

As far a being a good business decision to honor them, this one’s a real no-brainer. Anyone who has a lifetime membership in any club, has both the financial wherewithal to afford one, and obviously does a lot of flying, or they would not need one. Where is the good “business sense” in alienating a customer that not only has the money, but spends a lot of it flying? Or does alienating a good customer somehow make sense to you also?

------------------
Blue Skies to you all!
Old Mar 25, 2001, 7:38 am

The airlines are in the business of providing transportation, not hosting social clubs. For all you TWA Ambassador lifetimers be thankful American is providing complimentary Admirals’ Club memberships for two years. Look at it in another perspective. They could say "we're not giving you anything, if you want in you have to pay us."

Oh! by the way, I don't remember Life giving out any "Fare tickets".

[This message has been edited by Legroom (edited 03-25-2001).]
Old Mar 25, 2001, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Gee, Legroom,

You sure know the etiquette of a first post! Let's see, how to respond to your naive thoughts! ...

1) You are right, the airlines are not in the business of hosting social clubs. But part of their business is offering VIP clubs.

2) True, AA might have not have offered to honor the memberships at all. Being thankful for the two years, however, is like being thankful if a new landlord evicts a tenant, but not right away.

3) "Fare tickets." No, there aren't any in life. But individuals do have discretion and opportunities to do what is right and ethical. I think AA is blowing this opportunity.

[This message has been edited by zrs70 (edited 03-25-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.