Search

Pope Flys TWA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 1999, 10:21 am
EMD
Original Member
Original Poster

Pope Flys TWA

Didn't anyone else find it funny that the Pope had his choice of 3 airlines (identities unknown) and chose TWA??
Old Jan 30, 1999, 1:35 pm
Original Member

Not really, since TWA's main hub is St. Louis and his Holiness "flavored" his trip around St. Louis & midwestern themes. He even requested the Missouri governor have mercy on a convicted killer embarassingly scheduled for execution during his stay in St. Louis.

Although I'm guessing this is an OMNI reply, the convict who was sentenced to die will now serve life in prison.

Back to the subject, perhaps the Pope heard that the TWA flights are usually not filled and he'd have some extra room to move around. After all, the Holy Father is well-connected and it is a long flight to Rome.

Old Jan 30, 1999, 5:19 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
buck ~ You don't have to worry about the Pope having enough room, they're using a 767 for the flight with a bed in first class for his holiness as well as other modifications to suit the papal trip.
Old Jan 30, 1999, 7:34 pm
Commander Catcop

OMNI question/joke: I wonder if John Paul has
a TWA frequent Flyer card (or any card?)
With all of his traveling he can be Elite on several airlines!

Ok, I won't try any more humour!

IF the pope had ff accounts, he would probably donate the miles to different charities to use to help the children of the world. I would not be surprise if 1. the pope belonged and 2. He made the donations.
CATMAN
Old Jan 30, 1999, 11:55 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Catman ~ The TWA flight he's on, and probably many of his longer flights are chartered to just carry him (and all the folks accompanying him), and I don't think you earn ff miles for charter flights (or professional athletes would all be elite members too!).

I wouldn't think the Pope would ever fly on a regularly scheduled commercial flight, but I could be wrong ...
Old Jan 31, 1999, 11:13 am
Original Member

there was a good article in the WallStreet Journal on the work TW was going to have to do to get the plane fitted etc to fly the Pope. Interviewed the pilot, one of the f/as, etc. St. Louis Archdiocese paid for some of the customization. The Pope has flown on TW before, several yrs ago. On this trip he flew Alitalia, Mexicana and TW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.