Wiki Posts
Search

Award Availability

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 1998, 9:47 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Award Availability

My experience with TWA has not been positive. After saving up 50,000 miles over 8 years I now find myself the proud owner of a trip to Europe during high season. Imagine my chagrin to find out that the flight I wanted to Milan in September (5 months hence) was not full but the FFB seats were full. What good is all that mileage I've accumulated if I can't get a free seat on the plane? How cheap it is of them to promise something and then not deliver! I am going to my cousin's wedding and you can bet that I will not fly TWA. How many seats are there that are designated FFB and how in the heck do you get one? Are other FFB programs this deceptive and dishonest?
Old May 10, 1998, 11:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
I have used several awards including TWA awards domestically, internationally and partner awards domestically and internationally. Specifically I have used TWA
F and Y to Europe and within the US, Alaska in F and Y domestically within the US and to Mexico on TWA award and Aerolineas Argentinas
in J to South America in most cases my flights were available on the days I wanted and in a few cases required a two or three day deviation. F and J awards are easier to get the the coach ones and even when they say you cannot go standby for alternate flights I have always tried and never has it failed when I couldn't get my first choice if seats were still available for revenue pax. I have even done that on last Easter weekend. I like the TWA award program and have found them far more liberal with seats than DL, CO or AA. Just my thoughts
A Vitale
Old May 11, 1998, 5:14 pm
Abby at WebFlyer

You've really touched on a sore spot with frequent flyers everywhere. No, TWA is not the only airline to limit free award seats. The number of seats on a given flight that are designated for award travel varies depending on the flight and the day. If your travel times (date and time of day) are flexible, even within a couple of days, you will likely have better luck redeeming the award you seek. Also remember, however, that Europe is very popular in the high season (hence, the high season), and it is particularly popular destination this summer with the American dollar being very strong in most countries there. Check out the March cover story in InsideFlyer for more tips on getting the award you want. You might not want to snub TWA so fast...their tactics are no more or less subversive than any of the other airlines. Also see the May cover story in InsideFlyer for what to look for in the fine print. This article contains some information about award seats. Finally, if you do shift your loyalty, check out Northwest, which posts award seat availability online and even allows you to book award travel over the Net.

Old May 15, 1998, 10:05 pm
Original Member

Sorrt to hear, I have travelled with wife and
son early August to Madrid and 10 days prior departure had seat for same day I intended, on return had to delay 3 days to have confirmed, but I signed in as stand-by for my intended date, 4 days prior departure they contacted me and confirmed over the phone 3 seats for my stand-by date. You always can use miles to buy a 50% discount ticket of the lowest possible fare, and these seats are available to full aircraft capacity, in other words same as full fare.
Be a bit more possitive, and if what to have a S.A.B.E.N.A. (SO.A.BAD.EXPERIENCE.NEVER. AGAIN.) TRY AMERICAN!!!!! Your miles would have expired by now.
Best luck in you trip to Italy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.