Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turkish airlines 340

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Turkish airlines 340

Has anybody flown on TK in business on the 340. I saw on there website that it is only the 330 that has the lie flat seats. What about the 340? Is it the old style cradle seats or have they been change to the lie flat seats?
Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: *G
Seatguru reports lie-flat seats: 34 lie-flat seats with 13" recline, no floor storage.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Tur...irbus_A340.php
Old May 1, 2009, 6:20 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Welcome to Flyertalk, clint79.

Most, if not all of their 340s have been reconfigured and now have the same angled-slope seat as the 330. If you'd searched this board, you would have found this thread that has all the info.
Old May 9, 2009, 9:35 am
J1J

Programs: FB Platinum, DC Gold
As of the other thread I can see most have been reconfigured (if not all does anybody have any news). Is the new configuration the one shown on seatguru? If not which is the best seat. I reserved row 3 because it has more legroom according to seatguru.

I'm looking forward to testing TK in J after some good Trip reports.

Thank you in advance

JJ
Old May 15, 2009, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
I just flew JNB-IST (A330) in April, and IST-BKK in May (A340) on TK in C, and really liked the experience overall (mainly because of the food service!). My seat on the A330 was 99.99% the same as the A340 seat, only some cosmetic differences I think. They are sort of flat, but angled. Note that if you push the button that looks like it's "lie flat" on the armrest, the legrest is still quite angled. I had to push the leg rest button upwards manually to get to a better sleeping position. Note that the seat is really not flat at all (not sure if it's possible to attach a picture at all - I took a picture of the seat in the flattest position possible). There's still an angle between the seat back, the seat cushion, and the legrest. I guess this prevents the "sliding down" effect of some of these "lie-flat" seats.

I had row 3 on the A340 reserved, but then I switched to row 4 after doors closed. I didn't really notice a difference in leg room, but then again I might not be that perceptive Contrary to what Seatguru says, on both flights I could keep my carry-on luggage on the floor in front of me. In fact, it seemed like the overhead bins are stuffed with pillows and blankets! The only row I would personally avoid is Row 1, since there's no floor storage and in the middle group of 2 seats, you're facing the tiny bar where flight attendants sometimes prepare drinks from, and I just would find it a bit awkward to be facing that (since they're facing you directly).

Btw, if you're interested, here are my mini trip-reports on my blog... I focused on the food since that's my passion! I would have posted more pics of the airplane cabin but I didn't think my family and friends are as interested in those as me! Have a great flight!

Trip Report JNB-IST
Trip Report IST-BKK
Old May 15, 2009, 3:00 pm
J1J

Programs: FB Platinum, DC Gold
Thank you for your report. Very nice fotos of the food, it looks really good. I'm looking forward to my first trip to TK.

And why don't you think your family and friends would enjoy fotos of the seat, every normal person enjoys a good picture of a lie flat seat....or is it only on FT?
Old May 18, 2009, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Haha, J1J! Actually that's a thought - I'm currently in the middle of a *A RTW (hence JNB-IST-BKK). When I finish this RTW trip, I'll make a post just with pictures of the different seats I've flown in!
Old Jul 2, 2009, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Sorry to raise a familiar subject, but I've been looking over familiar threads on this about "old seats" and "new seats" in C and keep coming up with partial answers - or partial fleets (5 of 7?). Here is the main thing that confuses me:

I've seen the 330 and 340 Biz seats on TK described as the same because they are lie-flat and 2-2-2. But are the 330 and 340 Biz seats on TK really the same? (I am thinking of a booking this weekend and really would like to know)

On seatguru, the 332's seats are described as having 61" pitch and 159 degree recline, but the 343's seats are said to be 54" pitch and 13" recline. Is that current or out of date, because it sounds like the 332s are nicer. And I admit I have no idea of the difference between 159 degrees and 13" in recline.

For those who have been on both, is there a drop-off in comfort on the 343? I would be flying from ORD; is the 343 a frequent subsitute? (I gather yes, but don't know for sure.) This reservation would be for next year; is there going to be a change in the 343 over the winter?

And special bonus question: I hear and read enormously different things about the THY service, esp FA attitude. How does it compare for long-haul with for example the average long-haul United service? (not setting my sites on SQ style, just don't want to be looked down on, etc)

Thanks,

FTF
Old Jul 3, 2009, 9:31 pm

Programs: US-CP; UA-PE; CO-PE; HH;Diamond
Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
Sorry to raise a familiar subject, but I've been looking over familiar threads on this about "old seats" and "new seats" in C and keep coming up with partial answers - or partial fleets (5 of 7?). Here is the main thing that confuses me:

I've seen the 330 and 340 Biz seats on TK described as the same because they are lie-flat and 2-2-2. But are the 330 and 340 Biz seats on TK really the same? (I am thinking of a booking this weekend and really would like to know)

On seatguru, the 332's seats are described as having 61" pitch and 159 degree recline, but the 343's seats are said to be 54" pitch and 13" recline. Is that current or out of date, because it sounds like the 332s are nicer. And I admit I have no idea of the difference between 159 degrees and 13" in recline.

For those who have been on both, is there a drop-off in comfort on the 343? I would be flying from ORD; is the 343 a frequent subsitute? (I gather yes, but don't know for sure.) This reservation would be for next year; is there going to be a change in the 343 over the winter?

And special bonus question: I hear and read enormously different things about the THY service, esp FA attitude. How does it compare for long-haul with for example the average long-haul United service? (not setting my sites on SQ style, just don't want to be looked down on, etc)

Thanks,

FTF
Great question- I have the same questions. I am actually flying the other leg (IST to ORD) in November. I have seen the plane start as a A332-and then switched to A340 then back to a A330. (on the TY website). Obviously it is the same bird that IST-ORD-IST- so I can certainly let you know after my flight. For what it is worth- I have gotten the same info- that all A332's are the new business class seats but only "most" of the A340 are the new business class seats. I just saw TY is introducing 1st class suites on their 777's and starting tofly to Toronto - seems like they are really pushing their image and product. I would think like any other airline their Long Haul flights are super important so would want to insure a similar high level of product- but then again what do I know. I guess for now we can just keep our fingers crossed?

Goodl uck!
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:18 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer

Thanks,

FTF
As mentioned by earlier posters, most if not all of the 343s have the same J seats as the 332s. I took the TK 343 just the once from BKK-IST and I found the new J seats comparable to the J seat on LX's 343.

Having been pampered/spoilt/ruined by SQ service and having tolerated SV "service", I think TK is decent based on that one trip I took. Again, to my mind, not terribly different from LX. As an ethnic Chinese, I didn't feel that I was looked down or anything nor did I find the cabin crew rude or whatever. It was probably no better or worse than what I expected from a middling European(ish) airline. It was not SQ attentiveness or ANA hospitality but I thought it was adequate at the least. Then again, I'm very low maintenance in that respect and I slept throughout most of the flight anyway apart from meals. I've probably had worse flights on EK.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 6:37 am

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Thanks both for your replies.

FTF
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:56 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, BA Silver, HHonors Diamond
A340 Business Class Istanbul to Johannesburg

We will be flying with Turkish Airlines in December 2010 - C Class from London via Istanbul to Johannesburg. I have heard that THY have two really old A340 planes as part of their A340 fleet. Like to know if they always use this old A340 on their Istanbul to Johannesburg route or if it is not often used on this route. I know that THY use one of these old A340 planes on the Istanbul to Seoul route. There is a big difference between their new and old C Class on board the A340, something which we would never have paid for if we knew we would get the old A340 Business class to Johannesburg. Has any one ells flown to Johannesburg on their new THY A340 cabins? Any advise or info would be appreciated.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:05 am

A340 tc-jij

Have spoken to THY management in Johannesburg today regarding the old A340 TC-JIJ currently being used on the Istanbul Johannesburg route. He said that the A340 TC-JIJ is on a rotation period currently and will not be on this route for long or permanently period. He made it clear that it is not a THY plane but least from Jamaica and he that is offers not the same product as their other A340s. He also said that the reason for using this plane currently is that it can take more passengers then the other A340s as the Istanbul Johannesburg is very popular with bookings. Something interesting: he said that THY will soon start using the B777 on this route! That will be great news. Might be something to do with the Worldcup?!
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:48 am

A340 TC-JIJ is on the Johannesburg to Istanbul route

I can confirm that the A340 TC-JIJ is on the Johannesburg to Istanbul route today 18 February. TKY office at Johannesburg International confirmed this. She advised that J Class passengers should complain to TKY management as they (check in staff of TKY) have done because of the substandard cabin of this plane for Business and Economy class on such a long route. She believes that the A340 TC-JIJ will be on this route for another month! Please email and complain about the A340 TC-JIJ on this route!
[email protected]
Old Feb 23, 2010, 3:09 am

old A340 TC-JIK

I can confirm that the old A340 TC-JIK is on the Johannesburg to Istanbul route today 23 February. TKY office at Johannesburg International confirmed this and added that it will change before the Woldcup (which is almost 4 months away) I am keeping a track record of these two old A340 (TC-JIJ & TC-JIK) as I don't understand why TKY have them on this long hall route and for how much longer they will be on this route!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.