Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TK Flight Change Problem

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

TK Flight Change Problem

TK changed my YVR-ORD (layover)-IST flights next week to a layover at ORD of 30 minutes (original booking had nearly 3) and so their system won't let me accept the existing flight while their CS tells me that my only option (other than a refund - which I can't accept as I have plans beyond IST on this trip) is to accept a 9am YVR-SFO-IST (AC then TK) option that absolutely does not work for me.

As such, I was wondering what nightmare will I experience if I were to still go ahead with my existing confirmed reservation of YVR-ORD-IST?

YVR-ORD is via UA so I'm guessing that flight will still go ahead and I will then be stuck in ORD.

Will the responsibility then fall on TK to find me an alternative ORD-IST flight, in this case?

P.S. The ticket was booked via TK Miles & Smiles (pre-devaluation so there's another reason I refuse to accept a refund)
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If you don't change your booking, UA will deny you check-in and boarding at YVR. I assume you're flying on a day when the direct YVR-IST flight doesn't operate. Another alternative to what TK proposed, if you have date flexibility, is to change to a day when that flight does operate. A third alternative would be to find available UA award space from YVR to any TK gateway on your desired date of travel and then continue on from there on TK.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Direct YVR-IST does operate but TK refuses to put me on the flight (claiming I booked a star alliance booking even though I booked directly with them!)

As for the third alternative, wouldn't that still be at the whimsy of the TK staff? They claim no such options exist but of course they do - for example YVR-SFO on AC (UA code share)

As for your first point, yeah it's what I suspected as well (my gut has been telling me this wouldn't end well for me for a while lol)...I just spent the last 5 hours with TK support and it all ended with the CS staff writing another feedback form (this time with a note of urgency included thankfully) as that rep couldn't see any flights whatsoever any more for my date (April 2).

I actually can't log into my (or P2's) TK account either so I wouldn't be surprised if there's some issue with the TK portal currently

Anyways, looks like the issue will drag another day or two at minimum unfortunately (doesn't help that I have a second ticket for P2 on identical itinerary booked via LM as well, which I intend to change to whatever TK let's me change my ticket to...and who knows when that change will happen)

P.S. I should also add, I don't have any flexibility on the date itself unfortunately as P2 is working the day earlier (while even a day later significantly spoils my overall itinerary as we're only spending 3 nights in Istanbul). Not that it matters anyways as a day earlier (and later) has even less options than my date (no direct YVR-IST TK flights for example)
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:05 pm

TK should absolutely put you on the direct YVR-IST, regardless of what type of award you booked. Keep contacting them until you get this option. In addition to calling the general customer service line and sending a feedback form, you could try reaching out to the local YVR office/team, contact details for whom can be found on TK's website.

Do I read right that your partner/companion is flying on a LM-issued ticket? That will be a whole different process with I suspect a much less favorable outcome, assuming award space isn't already available on your desired flight. TK needs to *book* the new flights into the PNR (creating new award space, which they can theoretically do), but AV/LM needs to *reissue* the ticket. You need both actions to happen (book the space and reissue the ticket, in that order), and this is normally done by the same carrier. However, since the carrier causing the disruption (TK) and the issuing carrier (AV) are different, they'll each point fingers at each other as they cannot do both steps at once. In the vast majority of these cases, especially with TK and AV that are known for their appalling customer service, your only option will be to rebook on an itinerary that already has award space (what are your options there?) or to refund.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

I've been at it for months now with TK (HUCA so often that my brain is turning into mush) but not a single one has offered the direct flight as an option (the last one nearly did and was searching when the call got cut off...sigh)

I didn't see an option to call the TK YVR office (just an email) so haven't pursued that route but I may as well try that too I suppose

And yeah, P2 is flying same itinerary booked through LM. I finally managed to get through to them actually and they gave me a large bunch of options (including direct TK J) but I told them I'll call back as I was hoping to sort the TK mess first as I am hoping to book both of us on the same flight (hope I don't regret this decision!)

I even went on a call with UA (mostly out of desperation) this morning and they said their system shows LM issued the ticket through a third party travel agency which I thought was interesting to say the least...what an absolute shambles this whole trip has been (and it hasn't even started yet!)...

P.S. The TK portal started working for me again so I decided my brain needs a bit more mushing today afterall so I've gone back on call with them again (another 30 mins on wait? here we go!)
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:15 pm

Good luck, I hope you not taking the direct flight with the LM agent when it was initially offered doesn't come back to bite you. You also have the option of going to YVR during check-in hours for the direct flight to see if you can speak to a local employee. They're typically more helpful and empowered than the outsourced call center agents, but I'm not sure if that's saying much.
kooltilldend likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Same nonsense with this new guy too..."no options available, can't put you on the direct flight, wait for the feedback form response"

Ugh I think it's safe to say I'm never booking anything with TK again (the deval just makes this decision even more obvious)

As for LM, they offered me other options that bypass TK altogether as well (such as via LH in FRA) so at least I have choices in theory (how it all pans out though? Who even knows anymore!)
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Oh and the problem with going to YVR is that TK center is closed on Monday so there won't be any rep there then...Sunday maybe but not sure how much that'll help either (I'd be scared witless if this nonsense drags until Sunday anyways)

P.S. The TK website states that "No passenger access is allowed by YVR Airport Authority" inside the TK YVR office...so much for meeting them in person!!

Last edited by kooltilldend; Mar 25, 2024 at 8:31 pm
Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:58 pm

If you decide to go to YVR, go when check-in for TK76 is open (such as tomorrow afternoon) and approach an agent at one of the check-in counters as a start.
kooltilldend likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Already sent the YVR office an email so fingers crossed they'll respond

As for the YVR check-in counter, I'm REALLY hoping it doesn't come to that but it'll be my very last resort if it does so I def appreciate the advice, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.