Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award booking question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2023, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Award booking question

Found some 45k redemptions in biz but only one seat. Assumed I could book one seat at 45k and the other at 107,500. Had to call because can’t book my wife online as it’s my first redemption and will need to put on hold as well to transfer miles.

i was told only one seat available at 45k, no other seats bookable as award travel. Does that make sense? This is out a ways, near end of schedule.

To confirm as well, at least a 48 hr hold is still possible?
Old Nov 25, 2023, 3:26 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
You may want to go with upgrading a Y ticket to J now at the price of 45K miles instead of waiting for another award ticket. Just check before you commit to buying the ticket that it’s upgradable.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
i was told only one seat available at 45k, no other seats bookable as award travel. Does that make sense?
Clearly the agent meant that no further promotional award seats available. Standard award seats should be/become available, but you probably can't book both in the same reservation.

Maybe you should grab the last 45k miles seat and wait a while to see if add. 45k seat becomes available? You can always book standard award seats at 107,500 miles (available until last seat sold) so there is no rush to book it.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by flyerby
You may want to go with upgrading a Y ticket to J now at the price of 45K miles instead of waiting for another award ticket. Just check before you commit to buying the ticket that it’s upgradable.
Is upgrading using the same inventory as standard award or it uses promo award inventory?
Old Nov 26, 2023, 5:27 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
it’s my first redemption and will need to put on hold as well to transfer miles
With TK, there is a substantial risk here. Your first redemption should only be for yourself and with miles you earned from flying. Otherwise you may run into all kinds of risks from your tickets being cancelled to your account being frozen as TK expects "fraud". There are countless stories here on FT.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerby
In order for the Y ticket to be cost-effective, you'd probably need to be booking a return ticket.

It's also quite likely that booking one I ticket removes one J (fare code) seat from inventory. So what looks upgrade-able today might not be tomorrow.

And, finally, given how terrible TK is with retaining J upgrades after even minor schedule changes, a space-limited miles upgrade is much more precarious that just booking the 105k award. (and somebody with lots of credit card points would want to go that route anyhow)
Old Nov 26, 2023, 6:37 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by craigthemif
In order for the Y ticket to be cost-effective, you'd probably need to be booking a return ticket.
Good point.
Originally Posted by craigthemif
It's also quite likely that booking one I ticket removes one J (fare code) seat from inventory. So what looks upgrade-able today might not be tomorrow.
I haven't yet seen any confirmation to this assumption.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ffay005
With TK, there is a substantial risk here. Your first redemption should only be for yourself and with miles you earned from flying. Otherwise you may run into all kinds of risks from your tickets being cancelled to your account being frozen as TK expects "fraud". There are countless stories here on FT.
Clearly that’s their concern but I’ve never encountered this and it’s 10 months out.

As others have said, 107.500 is non saver rate so why couldn’t he have booked a second seat at that? I questioned what he said multiple times but he didn’t waiver. The issue is I need to transfer miles in and my preferred method might take one day. I don’t want to have an issue and have miles holding in my account so hence the call. 152k is fine with me for the route but 215k is not, plus the fees.

considering my booking in my account and wife doing second one in hers but risky
Old Nov 26, 2023, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Clearly the agent meant that no further promotional award seats available. Standard award seats should be/become available, but you probably can't book both in the same reservation.

Maybe you should grab the last 45k miles seat and wait a while to see if add. 45k seat becomes available? You can always book standard award seats at 107,500 miles (available until last seat sold) so there is no rush to book it.
This is good to know, I guess the US agent has no clue
Old Nov 27, 2023, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
As already stated you can't book 2 different awards in the same reservation. As the 107,500 miles standard award will be available until the last C/J seats sold, there is close to zero chance that you will not be able to book it afterwards. Don't overthink/complicate things. Transfer the miles (to your wife's account?) and let her book a standard award.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 8:46 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Clearly that’s their concern.
No, it's your concern as you are the one who wants to fly and who might end up stranded somewhere. Just something to be aware of when you calculate the risks. You'll find lots of stories here on the TK subforum, but I'm sure many first-time redeemers who use CC transfers also manage to fly without problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.